This is the scenario: You are the admin of a network which has a central server and client PCs. The clients have no operating systems installed. The server contains all OS images that the clients need.
- A client will load one of the OS images from the server via network to use. After the client shutdowns, the OS on the client is gone too, no installation needed. (1)
- The admin sits on the server to control the clients. For example:
- the server can choose what OS the client will boot into (2)
- the server can make the client reboot to another OS (3)
- the server can make the client wake up from its sleep (4)
Here is what I have done so far:
Problem #1: This can be done by PXE boot which consists of DHCP, TFTP, NFS servers. Check out this link for the details https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PXEInstallMultiDistro
Problem #4: This can be done by “wake on lan” using the “magic packet”. Google it for details.
Problem #2, #3: These are the most important problems. I have tried Cobbler recently but I found out that Cobbler always make the client install the selected OS which is not our objective. I need some kind of tool that can help me solve all these problems harmoniously.
This is one part of my thesis and I really need help after a long time struggling. I hope there are specialists and experts around in this forum for I’m very confused now.