Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Taming of the Unity (a recommendations)

Beans

The Taming of the Unity (a recommendations)

This is for those humans who want to use an operating system, rather than spend their lives studying one. And an unstable one at that.

First, there are alternatives to Alt+F2 functionality, that will open up a small window to invoke an executable. Gnome-do is the most famous, there are others with a much smaller footprint.

Second, a collection of panel indicators that actually work (calendar, classic menu launcher, load and sensor indicator, etc..

Last, The Taming of the Unity, a qhick "how-to," to maintain your sanity, including using a panel/taskbar, for those of us too dumb to be content with a launcher/dash.

Best line: "Make [the launcher] automatically hide till summoned (lol, seriously, dude. You’re not going to be summoned EVER AGAIN.)"

I've tested all of these in 13.04 Ubuntu default session (no "fallbacks") - Except for one app for which the tar.gz is no longer available, and one of the indicators (weather) that kept crashing on my end, they all work fairly well).
    [FWIF, my launcher behaved quite nicely, stable, the auto-hide worked well, then it stopped showing up no matter how far I try to "push" against the left edge of the screen. CCSM fixes work, until they don't, about 3 minutes later. So comforting to know this entire unity concept was created for the sake of having a single mobile and desktop environment for future Ubutu-Edge users. All 31 of them.]
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: The Taming of the Unity (a recommendations)

This doesn't appear to be a support request. Moving to the Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by r_avital View Post
    First, there are alternatives to Alt+F2 functionality, that will open up a small window to invoke an executable. Gnome-do is the most famous, there are others with a much smaller footprint.
    Actually, ALT+F2 works just fine. That particular post you are linking to is really old when, corrent me if I'm wrong, unity lacked the launch program combo functionality.
    Second, a collection of panel indicators that actually work (calendar, classic menu launcher, load and sensor indicator, etc..
    Another, maybe more comprehensive, list is being kept here on askubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unity's pretty unwild to begin with.
    Except for some indicators, which seem interesting, everything else mentioned feels like it would be adding gasoline to the fire.
    Making the system more bloated than it should be.
    An easier fix would be to just use a different desktop interface.
    One that suits ones preferences.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: The Taming of the Unity (a recommendations)

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    This is true and variety is the spice of life after all!
    \(\
    (='.')
    o(_”)”)
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Actually, ALT+F2 works just fine. That particular post you are linking to is really old when, corrent me if I'm wrong, unity lacked the launch program combo functionality.
    Well, I went directly from Lucid to Raring (two separate machines), skipped over everything in between, so you might have a point there, as I never saw the earlier versions of unity. However, the grun that I'm using now is a small, simple, powerful enough for me, clean little window with memory and auto-completion, not the big, take-up-half-the-screen deal that unity gave me by default on Alt+F2.

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Another, maybe more comprehensive, list is being kept here on askubuntu.
    Ah, thank you for that link! Bookmarked!
    Last edited by r_avital; August 15th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Absolutely true. If one existed.

The only thing that comes close (other than alternatives like xubuntu or mint, which have their own issues), is Gnome-Fallback. And fallback is, after all, fallback. No one knows how much longer it will be supported. No one has been able to tell me if it will even be included in the next LTS.
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Absolutely true. If one existed.

The only thing that comes close (other than alternatives like xubuntu or mint, which have their own issues), is Gnome-Fallback. And fallback is, after all, fallback. No one knows how much longer it will be supported. No one has been able to tell me if it will even be included in the next LTS.
    Yeah, but in the same sense, we don't know how long the above methods will be supported either.
    And it could be one bad library file away from another cinnamon and gnome3.8 debacle, borking up anyone who has chosen to go one of those routes.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Someday, maybe, I'll understand why a panel -- a horizontal row of icons -- is so much better than a dock -- a vertical row of icons.

I am, though, in no real hurry to get there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Someday, maybe, I'll understand why a panel -- a horizontal row of icons -- is so much better than a dock -- a vertical row of icons.

I am, though, in no real hurry to get there.
    It isn't better, but they seem to think it is

What's that old expression...oh yeah...Same Difference

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast