Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best phone to add Ubuntu OS on? Any Pre-paid phones?

Beans

Best phone to add Ubuntu OS on? Any Pre-paid phones?

Haven't checked in for a few months now & wondering where the Ubuntu OS is?

I know they are/were trying for their own custom Ubuntu Edge, not sure if it's going to make it or not, looks amazing though. But either way won't be out for quite some time.

But what is the best phone to load Ubuntu onto right now? I would like to get a pretty good phone & just buy it new, but will go used worse case scenario. I don't want a huge phone, but iphone or slightly bigger size.

I'd like a quality phone as far as screen resolution & materials. i.e. I like the glass/metal materials on iphones vs mostly plastic on other phones. I would also like to get the fastest phone I can for this purpose, so getting a phone that's a couple years old isn't something I want to do.

I ONLY want Ubuntu OS, I want NOTHING to do with Android. I would like the hardware to be as far removed from google/Android as possible.

Are there any phones that are able to be loaded with pre-paid cards once I get Ubuntu OS on them?
    Last edited by PsychedelicWonders; August 14th, 2013 at 10:45 PM.

Beans

Re: Best phone to add Ubuntu OS on? Any Pre-paid phones?

Ubuntu Phone, Ubuntu Touch, whatever you want to call it is based on Android. As far as I know the only phone that will run it is a Galaxy Nexus (from Google/Samsung). I have a Galaxy Nexus but have never tried putting Ubuntu on it because in my opinion there's no compelling reason or killer feature to make it worth the trouble.
    Last edited by lukeiamyourfather; August 14th, 2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Clarify sentence

Beans

What do you mean Ubuntu phone is based on Android? I think you can run it as a dual boot system or even run Android apps to give Ubuntu OS more features out of the box, but Ubuntu OS is a completely separate OS & no need for Android pairing unless you want lots of little bells & whistles in apps.

I want just Ubuntu & NOTHING else with Android. It will be completely wiped off of the SSD if/when I would install Ubuntu OS.

Beans

Ubuntu Touch shares a lot of code with Android under the hood. You say you don't want anything to do with Android, in that case buy a phone with iOS or Windows Phone on it. However yes, you can replace Android with Ubuntu Touch.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

It looks like the other modern Google Play devices are supported in addition to the Galaxy Nexus, like the Nexus 4, 7, and 10.

Beans

I don't want iOS or Windows, I want strictly Ubuntu.

Are you saying I'd be better off putting Ubuntu on an Apple or Windows phone?

Beans

I'm saying Ubuntu Touch has parts of Android in it and there's no avoiding that. Ubuntu Touch isn't a product from scratch, they're building upon the development of Android. The only phones you can use Ubuntu Touch on right now are Android phones, specifically the Nexus products from Google.

Beans

Hmm. Alright thanks for your help!

Beans

i'm not convinced by this. Like you i'd love to have ubuntu only on my phone but i'd be very suprised if ubuntu touch is in any way based on android. I think the posters here must be getting confused with ubuntu for android which came out first.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by saibaggins View Post
    i'm not convinced by this. Like you i'd love to have ubuntu only on my phone but i'd be very suprised if ubuntu touch is in any way based on android. I think the posters here must be getting confused with ubuntu for android which came out first.
    Yes exactly, I hope that Ubuntu Touch OS is completely separate & has NOTHING to do with Google/Android and they are confusing it with the Ubuntu for Android app that runs them together, which is understandably based around Android for it to work correctly in/with Android.

Beans

Ubuntu itself has nothing to do with android. Touch is just the touch GUI, why would it have anything to do with Android. I'm very confident they don't know what theyre talking about.

The great thing about Ubuntu edge is it would have given Canonical perfect reference hardware to make everything work on. It's really disappointing it didnt happen, it'll love to know what the next best hardware is. I wonder if fairphone will open up their hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast