Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What came first Mir or Wayland?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What came first Mir or Wayland?

So I read and hear about a lot of hate towards Mir saying that Ubuntu should be working with the community to help shape Wayland to something usable. I know Wayland came first in terms of existence but I also know there was really nothing to it before Mir so it just made sense to build something from scratch. Until Canonical announced Mir I did not here much buzz about other distro's or open source projects contributing to Wayland, was it Canonical's announcement of Mir which lit a fire under everyone else or where they actively working on Wayland and Canonical decided to go another route?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What came first Mir or Wayland?

Wayland.

It's been in development for something like five years.

Mir's just around a year old.

Edit: I was answering the title.
    Wayland has been in active development for quite sometime, and not just some dormant idea that woke up and started developing when mir came about.

All mir did was light a fire under the already existing devs working on wayland.

You look at the wayland live cd super thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1906762
    Last edited by deadflowr; August 14th, 2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: link
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Wayland.

It's been in development for something like five years.

Mir's just around a year old.

Edit: I was answering the title.
    Wayland has been in active development for quite sometime, and not just some dormant idea that woke up and started developing when mir came about.

All mir did was light a fire under the already existing devs working on wayland.

You look at the wayland live cd super thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1906762
    Thanks for the response, the thing that got me thinking about this was I watch the Linux Action Show every week and they use to give some props to Canonical for developing Mir but since they became Arch users it seems like all they do now is bash Canonical and Mir. I found this funny since before they where Arch users they talked about how Wayland was not even close so it made sense for Canonical to develop Mir.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by grier-devon View Post
    Thanks for the response, the thing that got me thinking about this was I watch the Linux Action Show every week and they use to give some props to Canonical for developing Mir but since they became Arch users it seems like all they do now is bash Canonical and Mir. I found this funny since before they where Arch users they talked about how Wayland was not even close so it made sense for Canonical to develop Mir.
    Where you stand depends on where you sit...

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would rather see them work on a project that all FOSS can benefit from, and with the input/assistance of a diversity of developers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is what the KDE developers give as the reason to continue developing Kwin and not a new KDE weyland compositor

Starting a new Wayland compositor would mean to stop the work on the X11 window manager, [Kwin] which would be a bad move as we cannot know yet whether Wayland will succeed and will be supported on all hardware.
    http://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland

MIR/Xmir is open source. so, it is for the benefit of any open source developer. It is not proprietary code.
    On Ubuntu, we’re committed that every desktop environment perform well with Mir, either under X or directly. We didn’t press the ‘GO’ button on Mir until we were satisfied that the whole Ubuntu community, and other distributions, could easily benefit from the advantages of a leaner, cleaner graphics stack. We’re busy optimising performance for X now so that every app and every desktop environment will work really well in 13.10 under Mir, without having to make any changes. And we’re taking patches from people who want Mir to support capabilities they need for native, super-fast Mir access. Distributions should be able to provide Mir as an option for their users to experiment with very easily – the patch to X is very small (less than 500 lines).
    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1269

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Other than some wiki articles, which I have found, my background on Mir & Wayland is limited, but I would tend to support Mir simply because it appears that Mir will be designed to offer more security than Wayland does to wireless equipment such as smartphones and tablets. Beyond that I am distrustful of totally community based projects do to the crowding out mentality and I think this problem has limited the mass appeal of Linux for anything other than server applications. Everyone should realize that the two most popular open-source OS's are controlled by major companies - Apple & Google. The great community based OS's have had little impact on current computing, beyond feeding some trial code into their enterprise versions, which again, are controlled by major companies, such as RH. I used to be active on the opensuse forum, until I was permanently banned (I guess a free OS, is opposed to free speech), but one thread which is constantly running through that forum is a distrust of corporate based computing such as Novell & MS. The code sharing agreement between Novell & MS was considered heresy over there, but somehow they don't mind having RH being a major player with Wayland. Last I checked, RH was traded on the NYSC. Anyway, if Canonical prefers Mir to Wayland, that's great because Ubuntu will begin to crowd out distros like opensuse, and eventually they will adapt or fade, and will eventually have to support both Mir & Wayland, which by the way is a long term goal of Mir, anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    Everyone should realize that the two most popular open-source OS's are controlled by major companies - Apple & Google.
    I hope this was just a typo- or else I'd like to see the source code for iOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    I hope this was just a typo- or else I'd like to see the source code for iOS.
    Didn't you know?
    Apple is world famous for its openness.
    just kidding.

I don't think any company rules over every aspect as closed and tightly as Apple.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

not found, I get what you mean as I don't expect Arch users to agree with Canonical but I don't find it right for a person who uses Ubuntu one week then Arch the next to change philosophy on what is good and what is not.

cortman, I do agree with you how it would be awesome for Canonical to work in the community on Wayland since everyone would benefit, but the point of open source is if you don't like something or it does not work for your needs is to build something completely different or branch off. If that is how it was from the beginning wouldn't we only have one maybe two distributions, a desktop GUI to use and only one set of packages under the distribution? Mir and Wayland in my opinion is good, two options are better then one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast