Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No brightness control at all? (No slider)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: No brightness control at all? (No slider)

Quote Originally Posted by gabe2 View Post
    I would much rather have the interface show up and work correctly as designed,
    Okay then. Lets try a few more things.
    First, remove any kernel boot parameters and reboot (lets get back to a clean system), then:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r i915
    ...if there are no errors while you do this, check to see if the i915 module was unloaded:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep i915
    If that returns nothing and there were no errors during removal, check for a backlight interface and brightness slider (you may need to log out and back in again (not reboot yet).

If there were errors, post them back.

If no errors removing the module and still no backlight interface/brightness slider, try adding i915 to the module blacklist by editing as root /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and adding:
    Code:
    blacklist i915
    ...and this time rebooting.

Lets try this first and see what happens. In the meantime, I'll review the log files you posted.
    Last edited by Toz; August 16th, 2013 at 12:44 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Okay then. Lets try a few more things.
    First, remove any kernel boot parameters and reboot (lets get back to a clean system), then:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r i915
    ...if there are no errors while you do this, check to see if the i915 module was unloaded:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep i915
    If that returns nothing and there were no errors during removal, check for a backlight interface and brightness slider (you may need to log out and back in again (not reboot yet).

If there were errors, post them back.

If no errors removing the module and still no backlight interface/brightness slider, try adding i915 to the module blacklist by editing as root /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and adding:
    Code:
    blacklist i915
    ...and this time rebooting.

Lets try this first and see what happens. In the meantime, I'll review the log files you posted.
    Wow...tried all of those and nothing. In fact, when I tried the terminal commands after removing the kernal parameter (and rebooting) nothing at all happened. There was no error OR confirmation of anything, it just went straight to the next $ command line.

I also just realized that while I would like to have the brightness control available, it may not matter much because I have a Pantone Huey monitor calibrator and I used the ICC profile created in Windows and just assigned it to Ubuntu. It worked very nicely and I believe it compensates for the lighting too. It's too bad there isn't a Pantone Huey app for Ubuntu. I'd code it if I had any knowledge at all about coding (which, obviously, I do not).

So, may not be a big deal after all, but I suspect you're as confused by this problem as I am that Ubuntu on my system is being a stubborn ass about giving up brightness controls.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gabe2 View Post
    Wow...tried all of those and nothing. In fact, when I tried the terminal commands after removing the kernal parameter (and rebooting) nothing at all happened. There was no error OR confirmation of anything, it just went straight to the next $ command line.
    Just to confirm:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r i915
    ...then post back:
    Code:
    lsmod
    ...and
    Code:
    for i in /sys/class/backlight/*; do echo $i; cat $i/brightness; cat $i/max_brightness; done
    One other thing to try (long shot). In /etc/X11/xorg.conf, can you add, to the "Devices" section, this line in red:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "GeForce GTX 460"
        BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    EndSection
    ...and log out and back in again.

I also just realized that while I would like to have the brightness control available, it may not matter much because I have a Pantone Huey monitor calibrator and I used the ICC profile created in Windows and just assigned it to Ubuntu. It worked very nicely and I believe it compensates for the lighting too. It's too bad there isn't a Pantone Huey app for Ubuntu. I'd code it if I had any knowledge at all about coding (which, obviously, I do not).
    Worst case, you can still xbacklight to control the backlight.

So, may not be a big deal after all, but I suspect you're as confused by this problem as I am that Ubuntu on my system is being a stubborn ass about giving up brightness controls.
    Yes I am confused. I don't think I've ever seen a system that didn't have at least one backlight interface. Ususally its the other way around - too many interfaces getting in the way.

Beans

Did the first two commands here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5999408/

As you can see, the first command just went straight to the next command line with nothing (besides asking for my password).

Backlight command: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5999416/

Doing the last entry now...nope. No brightness control. Wish I knew coding and programming so I could solve this issue and issue a fix and include that for future versions.
    Last edited by gabe2; August 18th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You just can't seem to get a user-facing backlight interface. Have a read of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Debugging/Backlight. There is further debugging information including info on how to look directly into the acpi bios. You might also consider creating a bug report to bring this to the attention of the devs.

In the meantime, as a workaround, you can use xbacklight/xrandr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12