Thread: Imagination or is it faster?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Imagination or is it faster?

I just installed 13.10 in a VM on my Mac. Is it my imagination or is 13.10 actually faster than 13.04?
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans

Re: Imagination or is it faster?

I've been testing since Dapper Drake... The development version is quite often faster than the version released at the end.

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by John_McCourt View Post
    I've been testing since Dapper Drake... The development version is quite often faster than the version released at the end.
    Why do you think so? Is the final release bit bloated than the development release?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    Why do you think so? Is the final release bit bloated than the development release?
    Not knowing what John_McCourt's previous user name was, but I imagine he is someone we all know. I find the exact opposite, the final release is usually faster than the development version.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Not knowing what John_McCourt's previous user name was, but I imagine he is someone we all know. I find the exact opposite, the final release is usually faster than the development version.
    +1

My experience too, and I've also been dabbling with the development versions since Dapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrate View Post
    +1

My experience too, and I've also been dabbling with the development versions since Dapper.

I have found that some of the prior releases before the final release have worked super fast. I have created a folder for them called 'phenomisos'. They have this super fast 'live' action that actually works faster on some older machine (form the USB) that from the installed hdd.

Most recent dailys of saucy very tough. Like overcooked squid!

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; August 16th, 2013 at 02:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As of right now it's quite a bit faster. Hopefully that will still hold true when the release is final. My first Ubuntu experience was with 5.04. That seems such a long time ago.
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Wilson View Post
    As of right now it's quite a bit faster. Hopefully that will still hold true when the release is final. My first Ubuntu experience was with 5.04. That seems such a long time ago.
    My issue is still that Gnome 2 is still way faster than unity.

http://youtu.be/Sh-cnaJoGCw?t=22m50s

yes kde has plasma widgets with awesome transparency! yes gnome shell... is full screen! yes Unity has buttons on the left! but why is it slower...
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    My issue is still that Gnome 2 is still way faster than unity.
    yes kde has plasma widgets with awesome transparency! yes gnome shell... is full screen! yes Unity has buttons on the left! but why is it slower...
    I can only agree with you.
    To answer your question 'why is it slower' ( I guess you know the answer already )
    Because its full of bloatware, the focus seems to have been on prettiness and fancy effects rather than usability and speed. This doesn't mean that you cant have a pretty desktop that isn't blazing fast, it just means that the developers need to be aware of not to introduce speed bumps when they make their desktop environments and app's.
    That would mean KDE4 would be faster or at least on pair with KDE3, the same goes for Gnome and Unity.

When the boot time was reduced from about a minute to 25-30 seconds that was a significant improvement, now the DE needs the same overhaul. with today's quad-core processors 8 gig's of RAM (or more) we should be able to boot faster, launch app's and handle multiple desktops much faster than we do at the moment.

"Imagination or is it faster?" I would say maybe a little, else it's pure imagination (because you want it to be / the power of the placebo effect).
    Last edited by Stinger; August 17th, 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

For me on my Intel video graphics box 13.10 gets 1.7 sec, while 13.04 gets 2.1 sec, on gtkperf. It is noticeable!
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.