Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operating system advice

Beans

Operating system advice

Hi, I need to reload the operating system on my Netbook ACER Aspire one. It has (corrupted) Linpus at present but I would like to install some version of Ubuntu -but which? I would appreciate some advice -and please keep it simple! Then I shall probably need help to do it! Thanks, Tony.

Beans

Re: Operating system advice

You should take the actual LTS version, because it's supported with security updates.
    I have also an old Aspire one netbook, it works well with this distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Yes, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS should work, BUT, run Ubuntu in the Unity 2D environment instead of Unity 3D which is set as default. It will make the system run faster.
    You are such a sweetheart b-b-baby!

Beans
    Hidden!

Or you might prefer Xubuntu 12.04, which works great on my netbook with similar spec to yours.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

ant2 is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am using an Acer One ZG8 Atom N240 1GB RAM and Ubuntu 12.04 does run on it OK. However to make the whole experience 'snappier' I currently run Lubuntu 13.04 on it. It worked Out Of The Box, no graphic or Wifi issues. It runs Ubuntu One so I can still get to files from my desktop Ubuntu machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Choice of distro is a very personal matter. Some people like things that others hate (i.e. Unity). I recommend that you burn several distros to USB and try them all out in LiveUSB mode before making a decision. I've found that Ubuntu is a little too resource-intensive for netbooks, but will work. I have Xubuntu and Lubuntu installed on various laptops and performance is much snappier. You may even wish to leave the 'buntu distros altogether and try something like bodhiLinux or CrunchBang, which run very quickly on netbooks. The beauty of Linux is being able to experiment as much as you like, so feel free to try out as much as you want.

http://linuxfreedom.com/Distros/
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree with Duckhook. Try a bunch out via USB or Live CD before jumping in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 13.04 works fine on my Aspire One, but mine has as hard disk and 1 gig of RAM.

The Linpus models used a horrible slow SSD and had only 512 MB RAM - or at least mine did. If yours has the ssd and that amount of RAM you could either junk it or try Lubuntu 13.04.

If your netbook has a hard disk and a gigabyte of RAM you can use Ubuntu 13.04, or Lubuntu if you prefer its user interface. You can try both and see which you prefer.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Choice of distro is a very personal matter. Some people like things that others hate (i.e. Unity). I recommend that you burn several distros to USB and try them all out in LiveUSB mode before making a decision. I've found that Ubuntu is a little too resource-intensive for netbooks, but will work. I have Xubuntu and Lubuntu installed on various laptops and performance is much snappier. You may even wish to leave the 'buntu distros altogether and try something like bodhiLinux or CrunchBang, which run very quickly on netbooks. The beauty of Linux is being able to experiment as much as you like, so feel free to try out as much as you want.

http://linuxfreedom.com/Distros/
    A big +1 on DuckHook's advise. And besides what he said I would just add that you have to keep in mind that there are two paths in Ubuntu:

1. The LTS (Long Term Support) path: The April version in even years is delivered with long term support, aiming towards stability. Ubuntu 12.04 is such LTS release, and will be supported with error corrections until April 2017. Ubuntu offers the possibility to upgrade from one LTS release to the next (was 8.04 -> 10.04 -> 12.04).

2. The "normal release" path: All releases between the LTS release are supported only for a short time (was 18 months, but has been reduced to 9 months for Ubuntu 13.04 and later). If you go that way, you are forced to perform a release upgrade twice a year to stay on supported Ubuntu versions. The "normal releases" deliver the latest development features, sometimes even quite "bleeding edge". On that path you have to upgrade to each new release, skipping one release and upgrading to the next but one release is not possible (or at least not supported).

You have to make your decision which way you want to go. Do you prefer a stable release, that you can leave untouched for a longer period, or do you want to get the most up-to-date features, with the need for a full release-upgrade every 6 months?
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

what acer aspire one? there are plenty of those models out there. some Atom u have a really bad GPU support in linux.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast