Thread: Sll certificate for mail

Beans

Sll certificate for mail

I want to buy ssl certificate for my mail server. I use postfix,dovecot with mysql support with self signed certificate. I want to buy certificate for this mail server but do not know what kind of certificate do I need and where to buy it?

Beans

Re: Sll certificate for mail

I use Thawte, based in Great Britain. I haven't been doing mail servers for a lot of years but I think it's the same as the web site cert. They'll have that info on the site.

That said, I usually do a little bit of price shopping when the time comes. I don't get the cheapest thing out there, but I'll see where the majority of reputable providers are and make sure I'm not paying way too much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are different types of SSL certificates available in the market. You may choose depending on your needs. The cheapest is domain validated (DV, sometimes called as class 1) SSL certificate. Since, there is no manual intervention is needed in this method, you may even get it for free, especially, if it is for personal use. A search in your preferred search engine may help further.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Startcom offers some free I think (https://www.startssl.com/)
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    Startcom offers some free I think (https://www.startssl.com/)
    Indeed. I've been using their class 1 certificate for the second year in a row on my personal site. The guidelines to register in the site and to get an SSL certificate is bit complicated, yet, their SSL certificate works great for personal use (and I'm sure it'd work for companies too, but those certificates are not free).