Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD burning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

DVD burning

I am facing problem while burning DVD. Its a strange problem, I am able to burn data CDs and have even able to burn CDs of downloaded iso but when i burn a DVD iso it does everything well and i can even visibly make out that it has been burnt but it is not readable. And the DVD becomes useless. I have ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 13.04 on the same computer but face the same problem with both.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: DVD burning

try k3b instead

Beans
    Distro

I have tried K3B, Brasero and Xfburn but they all face the same problem.

Beans

maybe it's a hardware problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

it could be the dvd reading lense is faulty. i had similar problem on windows XP. there was no other solution but to replace the drive. they are cheap anyway...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Have you tried minimum supported speed (4x or less)? Different brands of DVDs?

Laptop drives are weak by nature (they have to operate at low power), so if that is a laptop drive, it can be a problem too.

By the way, if the system can boot from USB, that is a better option anyway. If it can't, you can use "Plop" to boot a USB (burn the plop iso to a cd > boot with it > boot the Ubuntu live USB).
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

The drive can read all other DVDs and can also boot from them. It can even write data CD ! But the faulty DVDs written by the drive are not readable by other comp also. So there is some problem in writing not reading. I wish to know if such a parcial fault (can write data CD/DVD but not burn iso) can be possible ? I also tried burning an iso using Puppy linux but faced again the same problem. But i was able to burn an iso of simplicity linux (on cd). Can there be a problem with the amount of data that needs to be written ? Data DVDs and Simplicity linux iso are smaller in data size than Ubuntu / Mint. I have tried minimum writing speed but the problem persists.
    Last edited by 3dmatrix; August 12th, 2013 at 11:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    Can there be a problem with the amount of data that needs to be written ?
    No, it's not the amount of data. It's the nature of the operation that is a problem and is quite common.

Burning is always harder than reading a disc and both reading/writing are easier with CDs than with DVDs.

Burning requires a lot more power than reading a disc, and burning a DVD is much more harder than burning a CD, not due to the amount of data, but due to the physical properties of the material used plus the density of data which is about 6 times more than that of a CD (thus requiring 6 times more precision on the "Laser eye"). That's why burnt CDs usually last much longer than burnt DVDs.

A drive can perfectly read CD/DVDs for years, but even a new drive may fail to write correctly if it is getting weak (has done a lot of burning in a short amount of time) or can't get enough power for the burning operation (often returning "Power calibration error").

So what you are describing matches perfectly with a problem that is actually quite common with optical disc burners.
    Last edited by varunendra; August 13th, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sounds like bad media or defective hardware. Modern CDs hold <= 700 MB. Have you tried burning from a terminal? Check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountIso to rule out possibility that your burning SW is incompatible with your hardware.
    Last edited by whitesmith; August 13th, 2013 at 01:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro

DVD burning

Quote Originally Posted by whitesmith View Post
    Sounds like bad media or defective hardware. Modern CDs hold <= 700 MB. Have you tried burning from a terminal? Check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountIso to rule out possibility that your burning SW is incompatible with your hardware.
    But it was the same software and hardware combination that was doing the job since more than 20 months !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast