Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVD burning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

DVD burning

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    No, it's not the amount of data. It's the nature of the operation that is a problem and is quite common.

Burning is always harder than reading a disc and both reading/writing are easier with CDs than with DVDs.

Burning requires a lot more power than reading a disc, and burning a DVD is much more harder than burning a CD, not due to the amount of data, but due to the physical properties of the material used plus the density of data which is about 6 times more than that of a CD (thus requiring 6 times more precision on the "Laser eye"). That's why burnt CDs usually last much longer than burnt DVDs.

A drive can perfectly read CD/DVDs for years, but even a new drive may fail to write correctly if it is getting weak (has done a lot of burning in a short amount of time) or can't get enough power for the burning operation (often returning "Power calibration error").

So what you are describing matches perfectly with a problem that is actually quite common with optical disc burners.
    Varunji, thanx for your advise. It seems my drive has become old. Buddha ho gaya ! But its just some 18 to 20 months old comp. Anyway, is there any temporary way like cleaning the lens etc that may help for some more time ? Actually i use the drive just for burning different linux distro iso and trying them out. In that case do you have any suggestion for doing the same on any SD Card ? Some software that could 'burn' any iso on a SD card. And will my comp be able to boot through a SD card ? It can do so through a USB pendrive. But last time i tried booting puppy linux through my SD card, but it did not work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: DVD burning

...a problem that is actually quite common with optical disc burners.
    Did not know this. Have experienced a number of these issues over the years, but this is the first time I have had the mystery solved so succinctly and completely. Thanks for sharing.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    Buddha ho gaya !
    Haha.... nice to meet a Hindi speaking friend around here

Age of the system/drive does not matter. What matters is its quality and how much writing it has done. A drive can last tens of years if is rarely used and just for reading 'Healthy, scratch-free' discs. But can expire within a few weeks if it has to do a lot of writing on DVDs. Even reading operation on too many dusty, old and scratched DVDs can dramatically reduce the life of the laser eye of an optical drive.

is there any temporary way like cleaning the lens etc that may help for some more time ?
    Cleaning the lense may help sometimes. It did for me once or twice. But handling the internal parts is not recommended unless you are familiar and comfortable with such things. Use a diluted non-petroleum product or just air pressure to cleanse the lense (and the reflective mirror/prism beneath it too, if it is easily accessible). I preferred nail-polish remover to clean optical discs/laser eye.

do you have any suggestion for doing the same on any SD Card ? Some software that could 'burn' any iso on a SD card. And will my comp be able to boot through a SD card ? It can do so through a USB pendrive. But last time i tried booting puppy linux through my SD card, but it did not work.
    SD cards should be able to boot. However, if it is an MMC card (multimedia card, that is detected as "/dev/mmcblkx" or something similar instead of "/dev/sdxx"), then a recent discussion in a thread here suggests that it may not bootable : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2159487&page=2

Usually the first recommendation is "Unetbootin" to create live USB cards/flash drives. I personally prefer the native "Startup Disk Creator" application to do that. There are many other similar tools for both Linux and windows that let you create live USBs with live cd/dvd images.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Did not know this. Have experienced a number of these issues over the years, but this is the first time I have had the mystery solved so succinctly and completely. Thanks for sharing.
    You're welcome ! Glad you liked it.
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

Haha.... nice to meet a Hindi speaking friend around here

Age of the system/drive does not matter. What matters is its quality and how much writing it has done. A drive can last tens of years if is rarely used and just for reading 'Healthy, scratch-free' discs. But can expire within a few weeks if it has to do a lot of writing on DVDs. Even reading operation on too many dusty, old and scratched DVDs can dramatically reduce the life of the laser eye of an optical drive.

Cleaning the lense may help sometimes. It did for me once or twice. But handling the internal parts is not recommended unless you are familiar and comfortable with such things. Use a diluted non-petroleum product or just air pressure to cleanse the lense (and the reflective mirror/prism beneath it too, if it is easily accessible). I preferred nail-polish remover to clean optical discs/laser eye.

SD cards should be able to boot. However, if it is an MMC card (multimedia card, that is detected as "/dev/mmcblkx" or something similar instead of "/dev/sdxx"), then a recent discussion in a thread here suggests that it may not bootable : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2159487&page=2

Usually the first recommendation is "Unetbootin" to create live USB cards/flash drives. I personally prefer the native "Startup Disk Creator" application to do that. There are many other similar tools for both Linux and windows that let you create live USBs with live cd/dvd images.
    Thanx buddy, lots of info. Well, i do not need to use the optical drive too much. As i mentioned, i just burn some iso to try different linux distros. So for that i would try using Unetbootin. Can Ubuntu's 'startup disk creator' make usb pen drives bootable even for non-ubuntu based iso ? Eg, can it use mint / fedora iso to make a USB drive / card bootable ?

The second reason why i still use optical drive is to burn large printable files on a cd and transfer it to other (client's or public) PC. In such a case the chances of a virus infecting my system is not there as the optical drive is read only. but in a USB drive that is not the case. Some people suggested using the LOCK feature of SD cards. But that feature is not available in every card. So is there any better and more secure option ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    Can Ubuntu's 'startup disk creator' make usb pen drives bootable even for non-ubuntu based iso ? Eg, can it use mint / fedora iso to make a USB drive / card bootable ?
    Never tried that so can't say for sure. Better use the tools that are dedicated for that purpose and are able to customize the booting to suit the target distribution.

As for keeping safe from viruses, using a read-only media is the safest and using a live Linux USB is the next safest (but relatively cumbersome) option. I don't know of any better option.

I never plug-in my external drive in someone's computer unless they let me boot their system with the live or installed version of linux on it. However, pluging in other people's drives in 'my' computer is never a problem since I am permanently using Linux (Ubuntu) now. So even if it has viruses on it, they are just plain data files for my system that can't do any harm unless I intentionally try really hard to run them somehow . For systems of my friends and relatives, I always keep some live USBs handy.
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

Thanx Varun !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The critical question you must answer is this: what has changed? If something worked for 20 months, it defies logic to imagine it failing by itself. Something else has changed. You and you alone can answer what this variable is.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by whitesmith View Post
    The critical question you must answer is this: what has changed? If something worked for 20 months, it defies logic to imagine it failing by itself. Something else has changed. You and you alone can answer what this variable is.
    Not You and You alone can answer But
    God and God alone can answer OR
    Samsung and Samsung alone can answer
    because no one except me has access to my laptop. No children, no pets no other human of any size, shape etc.
    Regarding my use, as i mentioned earlier i do not have much use of that part of my laptop. I occationally burn some iso and try some distros.
    So i am least interested in cracking my head what might have changed in the hardware because it is beyond my ability to decifer. Regarding the software part, if we get the same error from different OS on that same comp then do you think it is still a software error ? So if it is not a software problem then it has to be a hardware problem and ofcourse if it is so then we should not discuss that topic here because in most cases hardware solutions are not provided here.
    Last edited by 3dmatrix; August 20th, 2013 at 06:57 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12