Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu freezes when using Dash

Beans

Ubuntu freezes when using Dash

A number of times over the past couple of weeks my PC has frozen up on me and it always happens when I open Dash while I happen to also have one of my browsers open. When this happens the only way out is to power off by way of the Tower then boot back up. I can move my mouse around all I want and left or right click till the Cows come to roost and nothing happens.
    I have heard it was a stability issue with Unity an that I should g for a more stable distro such as: Debian. I would like to hear from anyone who has had similar troible an what they did to overcome the dilemma?
    At the moment I am using a gnome 3.4 desktop environment and so far so good.
    bill23

Beans

Re: Ubuntu freezes when using Dash

I am trying to isolate a similar problem. I have found that the problem occurs much more frequently when I am using Chrome as opposed to Firefox. I am using 12.04 LTS, Unity Desktop, Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS drivers. I have as secure shell deamon running so when the desktop freexes, I can still log in from another computer using ssh. So the Linux kernel is still intact. What I see is the Xorg is using 100% of the CPU. I believe the ssh still works because I have a dual core CPU so that the other CPU is still functioning. The fact that Xorg is using 100% CPU suggests the possibility that the problem is in the nVidia driver. Although from you are saying the Unity desktop is also suspect. Perhaps it is the combination. I'm trying to figure out if I have the latest driver. What video card are you using?

Beans

larry3;

I am not all that positive but i think my viedo card is the: NVIDIA Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] (rev a1)

I ahve also hard about Unity being suspect. You say you have had the freeze when you were using Chrome? I was adviced to do a update; sudo apt-get update to see if that may have corrected the issue? I won't know until it happens again, should it ever happen again?

I am even considering installing the Xubuntu desktop. I have heard it is stabler then Ubuntu with Unity?

Beans

bill23
    Had another freeze yesterday while using Dash. I was opening the 'Opera Next' browser and right clicked it with the intent of seeing if I could add it on the launch bar. Then bingo it froze up on me. Had to power off through the Tower then reboot. I am using Gnome Fall back option (Gnome 2) to write this. I am still debating whether to ass the Xubuntu desktop or not??
    I may try a experiment that of opening Dash and right clicking one of the Apps and see what happens, if anything?

Beans

I updated my nVidia driver and switched to the old Gnome desktop and the problem seems to have cleared up. I guess I will try Unity again to see which of these two things was at fault. But I suspect it may be the interaction of the two. I've searched posts on various forums and the common thread seems to be the combination of nVidia and Unity. Looking at about a half dozen posts where the person gave enough information, I couldn't find anyone complaining of freezes that didn't have this combination. The fact that the xorg process, which is the nVidia x-server, had 100% CPU also supports this hypothesis. I also found something in the release notes of the nvidia update that said it fixed a problem that could cause a crash.

Beans

I'm facing a similar problem. Unity freezes and only a hard reset and no other solution

Beans

Although the freezes were less frequent with the classic gnome desktop than Unity, it still happened occasionally. If you have no other way of accessing the system except the desktop, then you have to hard reset. If you have a telnet or secure shell server running, you can log in from another computer. I have switched from the nVidia driver to the nouveau driver and have not had a freeze.

I had problems installing the latest nVidia driver (319) so I don't know if it fixes the problem. I had the freeze problem with versions 304 and 310.

The only downside of nouveau is that Google Earth and other applications that need accelerated graphics don't work very well. Unlike nVidia that requires a complex rigmarole to install, nouveau is part of the main Linux tree.

Beans

To any and all;

I had another freeze a few minutes ago. My first in almost two weeks. I had just clicked on Dash with the intent of checking the Software Updater but did not even get that far as it all froze. I of course went through the useless routine of clicking this that and the other to no avail. Finally to power off my PC I had to use the power button on the Tower then restart.

I am now using the Gnome 3 desktop environment with which I've not had any problems as with Unity. I don't look for any change with the upcoming Ubuntu 13.10, seeing how this problem is so infrequent as to be naught but a nuisance. What say all of you?

bill23

Beans

I don't recollect having this problem until I installed 13.04 a few weeks ago. The system now locks up under a variety of conditions. Dash will sometimes open but if 'more items' are requested the system freezes, the screen changes to a pattern with no way out other than powering off.
    It can crash in a similar manner after entering my password.
    The other day it did it as I pressed the large shutdown button.
    When things are running correctly I've tried the suggested /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p and got the message Error: unable to open display.
    I'm not an expert in these things but after considering it a graphics problem decided that it must be something else because everthing else works exactly as it should.
    All ideas welcome.

Beans

I had another experience with a freeze whilst using Unity and Dash earlier today. It was only a couple days since the last freeze up. i had this problem when I had Ubuntu 12.04. Presently I am running Ubuntu 13.04 which I installed from a DVD live/install disc. My opinion is it is Unity which is the main contributing factor behind the occurrences of the freeze ups? I can not really blame Dash except the freeze ups usually happen milliseconds after clicking the Dash Icon on the Support bar which is only there because of Unity.

I continue to use Unity because of the convenience of having some of the frequently used item such as web browser or email amongst others readily available. Then you trade off that ease with the frustration of the occasional freeze up when you happen to open Dash when a simple click.

I am posting this from a Gnome Fall back desktop environment.

bill23

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast