Thread: Terminal/Bash not working

Beans

Terminal/Bash not working

cant use my terminal to update or install programs. here is the feedback i get root@john:/home/john# apt-get install update E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable) E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it? please helpme out

Beans

Re: Terminal/Bash not working

root@neonard:/home/neonard# apt-get install update E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable) E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Beans

thats the feed back i get when trying to use terminal for update or installing any program

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Is there another package-related program that's opening (such as Ubuntu Software Center, Synaptic, Update Manager)? If so, close all of them and try again.

If not, then usually a reboot of the system should fix it. If it still hasn't been fixed, then post again.

Beans

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

its still the same

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu