Thread: Ubuntu Cannot boot after upgrade from 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu Cannot boot after upgrade from 12.04

Ok, so I went through the standard Ubuntu update from the update settings, it installed, it asked me to reboot. No problem. After reboot I got my basic 'select OS' but there was not 12.10 option, just 12.04.

I clicked on that and got this screen.

How do I fix this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Cannot boot after upgrade from 12.04

Writing in ignorance, I say that you are using a Windows 8 bootloader that knows about Ubuntu 12.04 but has not been updated to load Ubuntu 13.04.

The reference to 12.04 will look for Linux kernels that no longer exist because the kernels have been updated to those that are used in 13.04. So, the boot loading process is broken.

You need to update Grub4Dos and the Windows bootloader so that they know about Ubuntu 13.10. You should also give us information about your system. Especially, the disks and partitions. Are Windows and Ubuntu on the same disks? Or are they on their own disks? It makes a difference.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; August 11th, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu Cannot boot after upgrade from 12.04

same disk but different paritions...

as for the rest, im a real no hoper, so do I do that?

Beans

Talking Re: Ubuntu Cannot boot after upgrade from 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by kyral210 View Post
    same disk but different paritions... as for the rest, im a real no hoper, so do I do that?
    Hi, I also got a same issue but with the help of Boot repair tool I recovered ubuntu OS Have a Ubuntu CD and put into the DVD Drive and boot from CD After that Click Try Ubuntu, then Open the terminal and paste this line one by one.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
    Once the successful install of boot-repair it will launch, it gives two options one is recommended repair, click that one. It takes some time to repair your boot loader problem by installing Grub. After that restart your system, then new GRUB menu will appears but its not look GUI, its like GRUB Boot Menus, It contains the collection of OS list you installed previously. But I like this Easy BCD Menu and GUI of Windows Boot Loader but its not work for me, share you view if you got any alternate solution for your problem.
    Last edited by nachinew; August 11th, 2013 at 05:47 PM.