Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04LTS Wifi random occurance of disconnection (i know... i know just here me out)

Beans

Unhappy 12.04LTS Wifi random occurance of disconnection (i know... i know just here me out)

I know i know it has been ask but i just want to make sure its not a unique situation.
    Okay, in the past, It never used to happen but recently... more specific this past 3 days, my wifi randomly disconnect... sometimes its within minutes... sometimes its within hours earlier today i expercienced both: after booting to ubuntu12.04LTS within 5 minutes the wifi disconnects. restarted the computer then it worked fine... for at least 5 hours no wifi drop... I turn the laptop off then after 4 hours i turned it on again and it 1 hour in (more or less) it disconnected....

when it disconnects... it automatically try to reconnect but i waited and waited still nothing... i waited some more and it asks me to prompt my wireless password... i entered it and it still wont connect... it just keepts looking like its trying to connect (scan animation).

the only solution that worked best is restarting the computer.

i tried a couple of remedies:
    sudo rfkill unblock wifi--------------------------------nothing happens (still scan animation)
    Fn+F2------------------------------------------------------disable my wifi but then it wouldnt let me reable them or at least it takes several try of Fn-ing and F2ing
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf--------looked promising but after a day... it still happened.
    sudo gedit /etc/rc.local------------------------------again looks promising but the results are the same.

windows7 home edition seem to work fine.

theory:
    when i watch youtube... thats when i notice it happening...(or at least because the video stop to load) (this is the most noticeable one)
    wireless router is within 15 inches raduis of my laptop (which when it was further a couple of days ago... i notice it happening but i cant leave out the possibility)
    when the laptop isnt in use (i mean just idling) ... it doesnt occur

well right now as im typing this im about 15 minutes in and nothing is happening so far.. (cause i dont have any youtube.. (flash?) on?)

Using Dell Inspiron N5040 with dual boot (ubuntu 12.04LTS & Win7HE)

lspci
    wireless is:
    Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

firmware-b43-installer & b43-fwcutter (is installed... dont know if thats relevant)

thanks in advance!

also do care to enlighten me with the g/b/n or whatever it means. i know youll probably throw me at wiki but i rather hear it here from you guys

ADDITIONAL DETAILS

wireless router is NETGEAR
    driver is ath9k

also yes.. i did the: options ath9k nohwcrypt=1
    on the ath9k.config.. as well as on the rc.local

another theory
    when i prompt my password to login ubuntu12.04lts... i click on FIREFOX right away...(i dont remember if i always do that though) (maybe it was still loading driver?)
    wireless network name is 'virus.exe' (yeah i name it that way so the neigbor may think twice on trying to use it. (maybe the .exe is interferring?... but i doubt it)

im a bit iffy on making some of those .conf... cause one) i dont know how they work.. two) i dont know what those command means nowcrypt...iwlwifi (or whatever)

i mean ill do em but i kinda want to know what those command means first so i can get a sense on what im doing...
    Last edited by FenrirXIII; August 11th, 2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: additional detail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 12.04LTS Wifi random occurance of disconnection (i know... i know just here me ou

Deactivate the hardware encryption of the driver:
    Code:
    echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
    sudo modprobe -rfv ath9k
    sudo modprobe -v ath9k

Beans

Re: 12.04LTS Wifi random occurance of disconnection (i know... i know just here me ou

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    Deactivate the hardware encryption of the driver:
    Code:
    echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
    sudo modprobe -rfv ath9k
    sudo modprobe -v ath9k

hello @praseodym this code work... but is there a way to make this permanent... so i can prevent it from happening? thanks in advance!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FenrirXIII View Post
    hello @praseodym this code work... but is there a way to make this permanent... so i can prevent it from happening? thanks in advance!
    The first command already made it permanent. You can check it with -
    Code:
    cat /sys/module/ath9k/parameters/nohwcrypt
    It should return "1" as the output. Without the "/etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf" file created/modified by the first command, the output would be "0".

So if you are still having the same problem after a reboot, there may be something else to be fixed. You may generate a detailed diagnostics report by running wireless_script which you can find in the "Wireless Script" link in my signature. Attach or copy-paste this report in your next post.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

hello @verunenda,

thanks for replying... as i was reading this post... my wireless got disconnected... with that i got distracted to read further...

the fix that @praseodym gave, gave me hope that it was fix but just when i was getting comfortable again... it happened... i tried remedying it with his method again. (and yes i know, the echo and tee -a is a permanent script) but as i was -rfv then -v, my laptop frost.... well it was after i entered the modprobe -v ath9k, so i had to reset... and now im back to reading your post... but sadly as i said, it occurs randomly as it does so i have to wait for the wireless to fail again and post you the wireless script when it do so... for now, i thank you to keep watch.

Beans

Unhappy Re: 12.04LTS Wifi random occurance of disconnection (i know... i know just here me ou

hello @verunenda,

alright, for a while it was working and I had to keep watch til pass midnight... but i gave up and off to sleep.. the laptop manage to repeat the wifi-drop-and-cannot-connect-after-and-ask-for-my-wifi-password this afternoon after i turned it one before 11am. i followed you instruction on getting the wireless-info but for some reason... ubuntu forum wont allow me to attach a file for upload.... but heres a link to my dropbox for you to download... and oh ubuntu community.. feel free to help me out as well. thanks in advance!

Beans

*bump*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FenrirXIII View Post
    ubuntu forum wont allow me to attach a file for upload.... but heres a link to my dropbox for you to download...

The uploaded archive is corrupt, probably that's why the forum gave you error too.

Please re-run the script and replace the older result file with the fresh one. Double-click open to check it is okay this time. If you can open it, we can open it.

EDIT : Err... forget above, I was trying to right-click --> save it. Wrong method for the type of link you gave. Downloaded correctly this time, using the left-click > download. Taking a look now..
    Last edited by varunendra; August 16th, 2013 at 07:48 AM.
    Varun

Beans

alright, thanks! just to let you know. not too long ago, the wifi dropped again... and i used the -rfv and -v method... it started working again. but you know its only temporary

Beans

Can you try changing the SSID to something with just alphanumeric characters? No spaces, no special characters, dots, underscore etc.
    Also, delete all the connections currently saved in NM, and try connecting fresh, if that is not a problem.

Apart from those, please post the outputs of -
    Code:
    ls /etc/modprobe.d
    cat /etc/rc.local
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
    grep -R [0-9] /sys/module/ath9k/parameters
    and.... did you install compat wireless drivers at some point sometime? When and why did you need it?
    Varun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast