Thread: Sound Blaster Audigy starts up in "Analog Mono Output" mode

Beans

Sound Blaster Audigy starts up in "Analog Mono Output" mode

I just installed Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit. I love it!

Just one slight problem. My Sound Blaster Audigy starts up in Analog Mono Output instead of Analog Stereo Output. Is there a way to force it to always be in stereo? Like a configuration file somewhere?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Sound Blaster Audigy starts up in "Analog Mono Output" mode

I have audigy2. It started working properly after a few boots in my 12.04 64-bit system. At first, Ubuntu didn't see it at all, then it began working regularly after some time. How long have you had the system installed?
    Ubuntu 18.04_amd_64_LTS on Desktop run by Intel core I5 3570K on Asus P8Z77-V Pro MB

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on Lenovo N500 laptop

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alvinmoneypit View Post
    How long have you had the system installed?
    I installed Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit yesterday.

Beans
    Distro

post again if it still isn't working if you will.
    Ubuntu 18.04_amd_64_LTS on Desktop run by Intel core I5 3570K on Asus P8Z77-V Pro MB

Beans

Hello,

A revision to my original post... The card operates properly in stereo mode. Starts up and stays that way. However, when I go to Sound Settings, it reverts my audio settings to mono (from stereo). I guess this isn't a bug but I would expect when I go to the audio settings, it wouldn't default to mono... Instead it should default to whatever mode I am currently using.

Beans
    Distro

how do you know it's working in stereo mode before you go to sound settings?

Beans

Because it sounds amazing before I go into Sound Settings and then it sounds like garbage when I enter into Sound Settings. My ears can discern the difference between mono and stereo.

Beans
    Distro

Huh, I've never heard of this problem before. There has been some issues with the use of microphones on this distrobution. Do you have a microphone attached when you go to the sound settings? If so, disconnect it, reboot, and try to go to sound settings again. If this doesn't help, I don't know what to try except some other app is telling Ubuntu to be in mono, but you say it's working in stereo until you click on sound settings. Odd.

Make sure you install the updates offered for your system , it still may resolve. I had some issues with the default mono issue, but it resolved within 36 hours or so on it's own with reboots, and switching back and forth between the onboard sound (ALC892) and Audigy2.