Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Elementary Luna

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Elementary Luna

Quote Originally Posted by samuelinsweden View Post
    I tried installing it but kept getting a "kernel not found" when first trying to start the install from the USB stick.
    You mean you are able to run Elementary live but not install it ? Does it happen right after you click the install icon in live mode ?
    Else it could be a result of you choosing the advanced partitioner during install and not paying attention to where it installs the bootloader.
    If you want to boot from the harddrive the bootloader would normally need to be on /dev/sda.
    Screenshot from 2013-08-29 20_06_05.png

Do yo have windows too ? There is a comprehensive guide on the ubuntu wiki on WindowsDualBoot
    Last edited by Stinger; August 30th, 2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Small misunderstanding ;)

Beans

I recently wrote a somewhat lengthy thread here in this sub-forum about why I like Gnome Shell and use it as my main environment. What's incredibly ironic about my post is now that I am using eOS, I am gravitating towards the Pantheon UI more-so than Gnome 3.8. I'm not a tremendous fan of the dock at the bottom, but I get for familiarity purposes why it's there. A quick tweak later and it's auto-hiding on the left side of my screen. What I enjoyed about Gnome Shell was the fact I can type to find an application or easily mouse-navigate to it (something Unity unfortunately chokes in as mouse searching for an application is very inefficient). Pantheon actually beats out Gnome in this area (in my opinion), because if I click Applications (or Super + Space to launch it) I IMMEDIATELY receive an A-Z listing of all of my applications, whereas on Gnome I must hit Activities >> applications icon >> then I'm presented with frequent applications, or I can click 'all' and have all of them listed. Likewise, I can tweak that "grid" in Pantheon to be considerably larger, so for each of my systems I've customized the applications launcher to take up about 75% of my screen. As far as mouse gestures to launch applications (comparing Pantheon to Gnome 3.8), Pantheon is faster with less clicks. As far as keyboard launching, it's almost the same.

The default applications in eOS don't excite me much at all, but once again I understand why they went for it. I put eOS on my wife's laptop and she is quite fond of Geary as it pulls in her Yahoo mail with a very simple to use interface. She digs it, no problems. I however want multiple accounts along with signature support, something Geary does not currently support (I dug up a recent mailing list discussion suggesting this was coming very soon, though). I never really let default applications bother me because I always use something else anyway. In fact, I have a text file saved on my ownCloud server which is a massive apt-get install command. Each time I find an application I like, I just quickly go in and add it. That way when I do a fresh install, I can simply paste in my command which will be something like, sudo apt-get install audacity clementine chromium-browser firefox cheese winff etc etc etc.

I love that it's built on the Ubuntu base. That gives me a lot of flexibility as far as PPAs go. I've never been a big user of PPAs, however for one-off applications (such as the ownCloud sync client), it's been very nice. Recently I rediscovered the freakin awesome backup application known as Back In Time. Problem with the default version in the repos is (even on 13.04) it doesn't have SSH support. Pulled in the PPA, upgraded it, oh hi there SSH support. I'm back in 2-hour-interval-rsyncing business. Love it.

We needed Elementary OS. We, as in the open source community, needed it. Even if you don't use eOS or care for it, we definitely had a wide open vacant spot for an easy to use distro. eOS takes the cake in that regard. We needed something we could put onto grandma's computer and feel confident that it won't get messed up. I'm not saying Mint is a bad choice, I'm not saying Ubuntu is a bad choice, but as somebody who has to do training with staff members anywhere between 21 and 60, it's astounding to me how the simplest UI transition can blossom into a 4 hour conversation. I could probably teach this UI to a crowd of users in considerably less time than most others, simply because there are no nonsense lenses to get lost in, no widgets to stumble across and get confused with, or any wildly new paradigms to adjust to. eOS's Pantheon UI is crazy simple, but in my opinion it's very, very modern. The default animations (simple, but noticeable in my opinion) along a few included-by-default desktop effects, such as hot corners, etc,. and you have a very well rounded interface. With my dock on the left and the application launcher being one huge grid, along with a pair of hot corner presets of my preference, it really does increase my efficiency with multitasking. I was quite surprised by this as I thought I mastered the art of dynamic workspaces and keyboard shortcuts in Gnome Shell, but I'm definitely noticing an improvement in my usage.

Speed is also a substantial bonus as well. I'm typing this from an older iMac system which an AMD GPU (open source driver). This unit has choked under Gnome (even with animations disabled). KDE 4.10 ran moderately well, but KDE frustrates me in countless other areas to not even bother with it. XFCE was decent but I'm finding myself preferring UI's that aren't just basic panels like the Gnome 2.X days, so I didn't really get into the XFCE groove. eOS/Pantheon gives me a fast, simple, refined, great looking distro with an awesome base and great compatibility that has 'just' enough features to allow me to optimize it in a surprisingly efficient manner to match my work flow. Another thing I've thought highly of is the team behind eOS. Based on everything I've heard and read, I think really highly of.

While I'm cursed with the inability to use just ONE distro, but I think eOS might find itself on the majority of my systems.

Of course at the end of the day we're all Linux users with different backgrounds, preferences, requirements, and tastes. Everybody's mileage varies. Some people love a certain environment, others hate it. Use what works for you, but most importantly, always keep an open mind. The above is just my opinion based on my usage of eOS, nothing more, nothing less.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

@Roasted: The dock can be relocated. You may need Elementary Tweaks for that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I know - I mentioned in my post that I did move it. I was just speaking from the standpoint that while some of the eOS defaults are not 100% in line with my preference, these things can be easily altered.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I've been using Plank lately (not on Luna, but for Gnome Shell and Cinnamon) and I really like it. You can actually alter basic settings like that through a text file. It also is really easy to create new themes because the color gradients, transparency, shape, etc. of the dock are all also easily configurable through this file.

About Luna, it looks quite nice, and in fact I already set up my two current desktops, Gnome Shell and Cinnamon, to work basically the same way. I might try it at some point, but currently don't see a reason to switch. I do like my system to be a bit more configurable than it looks like Luna is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I recently wrote a somewhat lengthy thread here in this sub-forum about why I like Gnome Shell and use it as my main environment. What's incredibly ironic about my post is now that I am using eOS, I am gravitating towards the Pantheon UI more-so than Gnome 3.8.
    Hi Roasted, thank's for taking the time to post your findings. I'm glad you like EOS Luna, your wife certainly does, hope you listen to her
    I don't know if you noticed it , but running third party apps in pantheon seems to speed up the apps a bit and improve the workflow ?

The Ubuntu-base is great, I try Fedora on a regular basis, I'm a GNOME fan too and nobody has a better GNOME experience than Fedora IMHO. If Fedora had the same amount of available software I would probably have switched. But they don't.
    GNOME is a great DE too but lately the development have not been progressive, still missing automatic extension updates, GNOME app center etc. If you use Ubuntu (IMHO GNOME suffers a lot because of the needs of Unity in Ubuntu), GNOME is one version behind unless you use the GNOME3 ppa which, I think, introduces instability.

Then along came EOS Luna with it's completely new polished, speedy pantheon DE, it truly impressed me that a bunch of dedicated developers could do what the Unity and GNOME-Shell developers seems to have failed to do, namely give me control over the desktop and the workflow without interfering and just stay out of the way when I don't need it. I don't even miss having files on my desktop.
    I'm hooked. of course there are things that could be improved like the file manager and slingshot, but nothing I can't handle myself. I consider myself the average linux user who likes to tweak the desktop/system a bit no matter what DE it is.

EOS Luna has given me the joy and pleasure back when I use my desktop and I still have the great Ubuntu-base underneath. IMHO, GNOME is still under it's way and Unity/GNOME fails to give me any joy at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

A peek of my eos desktop
    Attached Images Attached Images
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    A peek of my eos desktop
    That was nice, peeking at your desktop!

Is that Gazette? When I was using eOS in May 13, Gazette somehow didn't quiet agree & would crash!
    But a very nice looking candy it was.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Aye, it's gazette. I have disabled files and rss. So only the weather is shown.
    It also have a nice welcome intro when you login.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    Aye, it's gazette. I have disabled files and rss. So only the weather is shown.
    It also have a nice welcome intro when you login.
    Looks especially beautiful with that ethereal wallpaper you use...

very nice n tidy .... i like.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast