Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation document

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Installation document

Hi all,
    I am about to help someone install 12.04 but as he lives in Canada and I am in Scotland timezones can be a problem so I thought i would just review some of the documents and came across this:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/installa...tallation.html

Well I have installed 12.04 on my own and my wife's laptops and I am sure I am confused because most of what the document says about
    a minimal base system and extra packages is not my experience.

However I always do a manual partitioning with /, swap and /home so I am now thinking this may be the reason for the difference.

I was trying to find out specifically what partitioning the automatic install would choose as, if it's simply / and swap then I will talk him through doing it the way I usually do as i have done it that way since around 6.04. The reason I have done it that way is because although each time I try an upgrade it has messed up so I then just do it manually, choose the same user name and don't format /home

Also the document talks about setting the password for root But I don't think that's correct is it?
    Can anyone enlighten me please?
    Last edited by linuxonbute; August 9th, 2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added information
    Running 14.04 on my HP Pavilion g6 4 Gig Ram 320 Gig Disc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Installation document

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/instal...386/index.html
    I navigated back up from the link you provided and down again, the url looks a little different and the info has changed a little.

I also always set up a separate /home as you do, with additional /storage partition(s) depending on the drive size.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Distro

Thanks bapoumba,
    I did what you did but I ended up at the same page which does not seem to have changed.
    I have installed ubuntu many times and it has never, ever asked me to set up root's password. I am sure the default is not to set one up or allow a user to log in as root unless the first user set up uses sudo to set one up for root. Nor have I seen the other bit about choosing other software apart for non free stuff.
    I still cannot find for certain what configuration ubuntu uses for partitions as a default.
    Correction I have now found it's / and swap.
    I'll open a new thread now
    Last edited by linuxonbute; August 9th, 2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: update

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, I looked more carefully, even at the 13.04 doc page, and it seems indeed a little outdated or even from older debian install pages.

1- the first user created during an install will be able to have root privileges, using sudo/gksudo (or pkexec that I have yet to go around using). So no need to activate a root account. See here : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    2- to custom partition the drive during the install process, choose "Something else", here is a screen capture of what it looks like : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...tallation_type with additional info here : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace

As default and if you choose to erase the disk or install next to another OS, I *think* there will not be a separate /home (to be confirmed). I've never done it myself, always keep a separate /home and other storage partitions, so I always use a manual partitioning.

There is no time stamp on the doc page you linked to. So I'm not sure when it was last updated.
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |

Beans
    Distro

Yes I agree with your comments but the problem is I want the install on a laptop in Vancouver area and live on Bute an island off the west coast of Scotland.
    The person who's laptop it is knows nothing about Linux and has a very messed up copy on the laptop.I believe that if /home was on it's own partition it would be safer for him.
    I have opened a new thread about hacking a standard iso.
    If it can be made to default to /, swap and /home I could just send him the disc and he could install it without any bother really and /home would be protected if I needed to talk him through an install later when he might have more confidence.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

OK, I do not know how easily that could be done (making your own ISO). I'd say that if they have another computer or a phone, something like a hangout could be more effective
    J'aime les fraises.

Beans
    Distro

He does have another laptop but with the 8 hour difference it's not easy to find a time of day when we can both have enough time to get it done

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linuxonbute View Post
    He does have another laptop but with the 8 hour difference it's not easy to find a time of day when we can both have enough time to get it done
    Yeah, but that is just a matter of a few minutes once he gets to the screen. Evening for you is morning for him, say next Sunday ?
    I'm kidding you, but it may be the easiest way.
    J'aime les fraises.

Beans
    Distro

Just come across this thread so it might not be so bad. just a steep learning curve to figure out how to edit the default cofig to partition the disc

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1874634

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Cool
    Just had a look, the remastersys project has been stopped. Guess you'll have to go with https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization
    J'aime les fraises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast