Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE:What in the world has happened to Ubuntu? I'll miss you. :(

Beans

RE:What in the world has happened to Ubuntu? I'll miss you. :(

I don't know why my original thread was locked, I didn't post all of that to not hear others opinions, either way if this one gets locked too fine I'm not welcome here I'll go just please delete my account along with it if this is how the community has changed too. While I admit I used the word rant I think a better choice would of been "vent", I am disappointed in the turn Ubuntu has taken and wanted to talk about it. I just want to say I did not make my thread to diagnose slowness or anything else, that honestly was on the bottom of my list of things I wanted to vent about, it's a top of the line netbook in a would where netbooks are on the bottom of the computer chain, but my complaint to it is the slowness is just part of the OS nowadays, I'm sure many of you will disagree with me on that, but I used to be able to install it on anything that could run 98 and up, now it's like Vista pushing it's limits with current hardware for nothing more than social integration and pretty visuals. I wanted to write more again to talk about this, but I have a feeling that this will just end up locked too. I used to have another account on here, couldn't remember the login and made a new one, so I'll at least say thank you to the people that helped me out 2+years ago and were professional through my noobness with the OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: What in the world has happened to Ubuntu? I'll miss you. :(

Well you know then how these kind of rants or vents just end up. It is a call for arguments. No one will convince you, you wont convince anyone. As stated in the other thread, just complaining about something is different than trying to fix it. We are help forums, many people will be happy helping you.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As often happens at these forums, I'm not sure why the original thread was closed, and not sure that I agree with it's being closed.

Anyway, reading back over the first post, my feeling is that after verifying the download and checking that what I had on the flash drive was okay, I probably would have tried the same flash drive on another computer just to see what happened, then simply tried something else -- maybe Xubuntu, or some other lighter distro. I doubt that I would have even posted here to complain about Ubuntu in that situation, but that's just me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    Well you know then how these kind of rants or vents just end up. It is a call for arguments. No one will convince you, you wont convince anyone. As stated in the other thread, just complaining about something is different than trying to fix it. We are help forums, many people will be happy helping you.
    Alright I can accept that answer. And in my time of wandering the thread for a bit before you replied I now think, as embarrassing as it is to say after all I wrote, I was wrong. Ubuntu is moving on and aiming for the broader market, to please more people, so I suppose this is their way of doing it, add in useful software for most people, I'd assume stuff too like the Amazon program makes them money, though I'm sorry can't take back what I said about buggy Ubuntu Software Center I'm hoping we all can chuckle at that, dunno why two finger scrolling is disabled either that seems to be a frequent question about how to turn it on, it's a very obvious fix though. Anyways it's because of all this change I feel I'm on a less robust and secure OS, but if you want a broader market and the majority of people focus more on connecting socially and wanting pretty visuals not government exceeding levels of security and a mix of command line and boxes they gotta find a mix. And I was going to complain that I wish their was an option to choose what to install, till I realized this just isn't the version of Ubuntu for me, their are other versions, this one is just aimed for the broader market and I don't fit that. So I'm going to say it's late and I'm an idiot, and I'm going to try another flavor of Ubuntu for my netbook.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

OK, if it's late then
    You know that if one day you need help, you'll get some here. And maybe you'll also be able to help someone. That is why these forums exist.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by herqulees View Post
    ... I'm going to try another flavor of Ubuntu for my netbook.
    Exactly what I was going to suggest. Haven't installed Ubuntu, as such, for about four years now. I installed xfce4 on the last install of Ubuntu, loved it, so simply installed Xubuntu next time and have loved that ever since. My latest install is a minimal install with xfce4 as the desktop environment. Only apps I want/need. Goes like a rocket and is set-up just so. Perfect, for me. Anyone else would get a bit lost, though (everything is shortcut keys)!

Why not give that a try? You can install xfce4 from the repos, logout, choose 'xfce session' from the 'Sessions' pop-up, log in. You won't get the full Xubuntu experience (as this installs the DE ONLY, not default xubuntu apps) and you will still be working with the Ubuntu bloat (a heap of apps that you may never use regardless of what you're running). Xfce/Xubuntu install only is much zippier.

Good luck.

(... and yea, what Bapoumba said ...)

PS: If you are EVER unsure why a thread has been closed there are ways to find out. Check the forum Code of Conduct to see if there's an obvious infringement; post in Resolutions or Forum Feedback & Help and ask; or private message the staff member that closed the thread for a full explanation (although it would be peculiar if they didn't give one in the first place via PM or posting on the closed thread). You have every right to an explanation if the reason is unclear.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 10th, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Beans

Certainly try another flavour of Ubuntu. I run all kinds of different versions on different hardware. The Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu developers have all made amazing contributions. In your particular situation, I'd go with Xubuntu. To defend the developers, there's simply too many hardware varitaions out there to support 100%. Do some research and buy hardware that's supported.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Exactly what I was going to suggest. Haven't installed Ubuntu, as such, for about four years now. I installed xfce4 on the last install of Ubuntu, loved it, so simply installed Xubuntu next time and have loved that ever since. My latest install is a minimal install with xfce4 as the desktop environment. Only apps I want/need. Goes like a rocket and is set-up just so. Perfect, for me. Anyone else would get a bit lost, though (everything is shortcut keys)!

Why not give that a try? You can install xfce4 from the repos, logout, choose 'xfce session' from the 'Sessions' pop-up, log in. You won't get the full Xubuntu experience (as this installs the DE ONLY, not default xubuntu apps) and you will still be working with the Ubuntu bloat (a heap of apps that you may never use regardless of what you're running).

Good luck.

(... and yea, what Bapoumba said ...)
    Right now I'm downloading Ubuntu Eee/EasyPeasy to try since it's aimed mainly for the EeePC in the first place, Xubuntu was my next choice to try too with it being lightweight. I need to research and refresh my mind on how to do a minimal install and just install what I want, I did it before but that was awhile back lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

All good. Horses for courses and whatever suits the purpose. Puppy Linux is my next install and I have a partition ready to start fiddling about with Linux From Scratch (LFS, I'll need to set aside a few months for that expedition!)

As for the mini install, here a link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

Pretty straightforward but you need to make a list of want you want to install (make a plan) before hand. The base kernel installs, reboots, then you have a cursor where you simply type in a 'sudo apt-get install' command followed by whatever apps/software you want (a space between each). Hit return and grab a cuppa.

I have the list of stuff I started with if you need some clues. You can't forget software like gcc, getdeb, synaptics, that sort of thing. I get things up and running with the basics then start adding as and if required.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 10th, 2013 at 03:03 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by herqulees View Post
    Right now I'm downloading Ubuntu Eee/EasyPeasy to try since it's aimed mainly for the EeePC in the first place, Xubuntu was my next choice to try too with it being lightweight. I need to research and refresh my mind on how to do a minimal install and just install what I want, I did it before but that was awhile back lol
    Unless there is a new version, Easypeasy is based on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, and is thus no longer supported with security updates, plus the repositories will have been relocated elsewhere.. Might not be the best option for you, even though it is very nice to use.

I would recommend any of the current Debian based LXDE distros, such as Lubuntu, LXLE, etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast