Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backed Into an Installation Corner by Older Hardware

Beans

Cool Backed Into an Installation Corner by Older Hardware

I have an older computer, a Toshiba Satellite A105 that looks like,

* OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    * Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.70GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8
    * RAM: 894 Mb
    * Graphics Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series, 128 Mb
    * Hard Drives: C: Total - 57231 MB, Free - 25130 MB; E: Total - 28003 MB, Free - 9505 MB; G: Total - 29996 MB, Free - 10867 MB; H: Total - 180464 MB, Free - 12570 MB;
    * Motherboard: ATI, SB450
    * Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

* This CD ROM no longer burns.
    * BIOS are set to boot from "external device".
    * Drive C: is internal.
    * Drives E:, G:, and H: are partitions of a single external.
    * My primary machine is down. This Toshiba Satellite had been backup, but has now called into full time service.

Several days ago, anxious to get into Linux, and with the challenges this machine will bring just beginning to dawn, I decided to install using wubi. The more I thought about that, though, the less I liked it. The goal was to replace all existing software with something similar on Linux, delete Windows, expand the Ubuntu partition, and carry on. It seemed to me that the way I installed it was creating unnecessary hassles down the road, and I uninstalled it using the Windows Add & Remove Software utility.

Ran Universal USB 1.9.3.9, and used that to make a bootable flash drive. Even that had a variable about which I don't know what to think. So far as I know, that is the newest version of UUI. I had decided on using Ubuntu Studio v. 13.04, and downloaded it. However, that distro was not among those in UUI. Finally, I decided to select Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop i386 with which I paired the distro I downloaded, and hoped it would work.

Whether that, or my older hardware, I've never seen a glimpse of the contents of my flash drive during boot. It just boots straight into Windows. How might I proceed?
    Last edited by dyers2; August 8th, 2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Typo corrections

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Backed Into an Installation Corner by Older Hardware

Is your computer capable of booting from a USB drive?

If it is able to boot from USB drive, is it configured to do so in the BIOS?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi dyers,

A definate way to get around this is by installing PLOP:

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html

Its an alternative boot manager, works very well, and is nice and user friendly.

Also another point is that 13.04 is a bit buggy sometimes when booting for USB, id advise installing an older LTS Ubuntu install such as 12.04, you can then upgrade it via the update manager when youve installed it

Hope this helps
    Boab1993

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Is your computer capable of booting from a USB drive?
    Yes, good questions. I don't yet know if this machine can boot from a USB flash drive or not. I've tried a couple of different ways to do that, but so far, it misses the USB during boot, and goes straight to Windows.

If it is able to boot from USB drive, is it configured to do so in the BIOS?
    The BIOS are currently set to try booting from an external device, then the HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Some problems with your approach ...

Regarding installing from inside Windows (using Wubi) -- Wubi has been dropped starting with Ubuntu 13.04. So, this is no longer an option. IF you still want to use Wubi, then you need to consider 12.10 or 12.04.

Regarding booting from USB, some PCs will put up a one-time boot menu when you press F12. If that works for you, then scroll down through the list of boot devices. IF you see something like "USD-HDD", select that one -- and the PC will attempt to boot from the USB.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 17.3; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a Toshiba A105 with 1.5GB of RAM and run Ubuntu but fallback or gnome-panel which requires less video & RAM than Unity. Mine was bought the week before Vista came out as I knew already that I wanted XP not Vista.
    If less RAM Xubuntu or Lubuntu may be better choices. If I load more than one large or a couple of smaller apps I will see it swap as screen goes gray for a second. But my normal use of Firefox and Zim for text to post here works. But if I also open Thunderbird while Firefox is open I get swapping. So I normally just use one at a time.

Only if flash drive is bootable will my Toshiba boot from it. And If I have two flash drives even if other is not bootable it will not boot flash drive. Have not booted for a while from Flash but I do not change BIOS, but just use f12 (?) as one time boot key.

I do have a Logitech wireless mouse in another USB port and it just works.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Boab1993 View Post
    Hi dyers,

A definate way to get around this is by installing PLOP: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html Its an alternative boot manager, works very well, and is nice and user friendly.
    Great; thanks! I've fiddled with this for a number of hours now, and I had a lot of hope it might help. I first became intimidated by it when I tried to wade through the read-me.text file. I didn't understand a good bit of what I was reading. I never could get it installed.

Also another point is that 13.04 is a bit buggy sometimes when booting for USB, id advise installing an older LTS Ubuntu install such as 12.04, you can then upgrade it via the update manager when youve installed it
    That's very helpful to know, and it might help with another strategy I'm forming. I also found, and had much hope for the Ubuntu 13.04 minimal CD which I was actually able to burn on my machine. So far, I haven't gotten past the network configuration stuff. Will keep trying.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks for the feed back,

PLOP got me stumped for a good while, i was having trouble getting round a bad intsall of windows on a refurbished netbook, but if you know where to look its actually very easy to install.

The file you access is 'plpbt5-'>'Windows'>'InstallToBootMenu.bat'

A command line will appear and do the installation for you, then one restart later and it should be there.
    This will allow to access all usb drives connected to you computer and boot from them.

Good luck and report back with any issues!
    Boab1993

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If less RAM Xubuntu or Lubuntu may be better choices.
    As Ubuntu Studio run Xfce like Xubuntu it should be fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Some problems with your approach ...

Regarding installing from inside Windows (using Wubi) -- Wubi has been dropped starting with Ubuntu 13.04. So, this is no longer an option. IF you still want to use Wubi, then you need to consider 12.10 or 12.04.
    Hello, Mark;

I appreciate your time, and thoughts. You told me some things here about which I wasn't aware. It was a different aspect of Wubi with which I wasn't comfortable, and that was my reason for uninstalling the instance of Ubuntu in Windows.

Regarding booting from USB, some PCs will put up a one-time boot menu when you press F12. If that works for you, then scroll down through the list of boot devices. IF you see something like "USD-HDD", select that one -- and the PC will attempt to boot from the USB.
    I didn't know that, either! I expect that will help someone who reads this down the road a bit. I wish it had worked on my machine, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast