Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Xmir now in Saucy main repository

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    7,460
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Xmir now in Saucy main repository

    Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    I installed xmir from the repos, but how do I get into xmir?
    We don't. Provided we are not running on proprietary video drivers it should all take place during the OS loading process and we should not notice any difference between running on Xserver or Xmir. Apart from the usual issues that come up with the development branch, that is. Apart from a few noticable bugs, which seem to be now fixed, we tell we are running on Xmir by running some commands. I use

    Code:
    grep -i xmir /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    Code:
     grep -i LoadModule /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    Look for some thing that says Xmir loaded. And carrying on using the system to see if you can identify any instability or poor user experience that is down to Xmir.

    For example, on Friday I installed Xmir. On Saturday I run the update and then I had 4 system freezes. But I do not put it down to the update or Xmir. Chromium was the only application running. I did not get a freeze when using Libreoffice. I am now using Firefox to see if the same things happens. It is not due to maxing out the CPU or memory either.

    Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    ::1
    Beans
    2,464

    Re: Xmir now in Saucy main repository

    FWIW: I just activated XMir on my 13.10

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install unity-system-compositor
    sudo restart lightdm
    and after the fresh login I have a functional desktop (not anymore the annoying second mouse pointer) and:

    Code:
    sander@HPtje:~$ grep -i xmir /var/log/Xorg.0.log 
    [  1552.710] (II) LoadModule: "xmir"
    [  1552.711] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libxmir.so
    [  1552.716] (II) Module xmir: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [  1552.726] (II) intel(0): Output XMIR-1 has no monitor section
    [  1552.726] (II) intel(0): Printing probed modes for output XMIR-1
    [  1552.726] (II) intel(0): Modeline "XMIR mode of death"x60.0   72.00  1366 1408 1440 1520  768 771 781 790 +hsync -vsync (47.4 kHz eP)
    [  1552.726] (II) intel(0): Output XMIR-1 connected
    [  1552.727] (II) intel(0): Output XMIR-1 using initial mode XMIR mode of death
    sander@HPtje:~$ 
    
    sander@HPtje:~$ grep -i loadmodule /var/log/Xorg.0.log 
    [  1552.710] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
    [  1552.710] (II) LoadModule: "xmir"
    [  1552.719] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
    [  1552.719] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
    [  1552.720] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
    [  1552.720] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
    [  1552.723] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
    [  1552.723] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
    [  1552.723] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
    [  1552.727] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
    [  1552.760] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
    [  1552.768] (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
    sander@HPtje:~$
    
    sander@HPtje:~$ ps afx | grep unity-system-compositor
    12258 ?        S      0:00  \_ /bin/sh /usr/sbin/unity-system-compositor.sleep --from-dm-fd 11 --to-dm-fd 14 --vt 7
    12261 tty7     Ssl+   0:11  |   \_ /usr/sbin/unity-system-compositor --from-dm-fd 11 --to-dm-fd 14 --vt 7
    14394 pts/8    S+     0:00          |   |   \_ grep --color=auto unity-system-compositor
    sander@HPtje:~$
    That means XMir is correctly running, doesn't it?

    FWIW: Intel CPU & GPU.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    6,015
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Xmir now in Saucy main repository

    Yes it does.

    Code:
    ventrical@ventrical-asus-aiproactive-extreme:~$ ps aux | grep unity-system-compositor
    root       970  0.0  0.0   2268   548 ?        S    15:36   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/sbin/unity-system-compositor.sleep --from-dm-fd 7 --to-dm-fd 13 --vt 7
    root      1009  1.3  2.6 199832 26968 tty7     Ssl+ 15:36   0:04 /usr/sbin/unity-system-compositor --from-dm-fd 7 --to-dm-fd 13 --vt 7
    1000      2235  0.0  0.0   5668   804 pts/1    S+   15:42   0:00 grep --color=auto unity-system-compositor
    ventrical@ventrical-asus-aiproactive-extreme:~$ grep -i xmir /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    [    20.792] (II) LoadModule: "xmir"
    [    20.793] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libxmir.so
    [    20.813] (II) Module xmir: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [    20.914] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output XMIR-1 has no monitor section
    [    20.914] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Printing probed modes for output XMIR-1
    [    20.914] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "XMIR mode of death"x59.9   88.75  1440 1488 1520 1600  900 903 909 926 +hsync -vsync (55.5 kHz eP)
    [    20.914] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output XMIR-1 connected
    [    20.914] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output XMIR-1 using initial mode XMIR mode of death
    [    20.914] (**) NOUVEAU(0):  Driver mode "XMIR mode of death": 88.8 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 55.5 kHz, 59.9 Hz
    [    20.914] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "XMIR mode of death"x59.9   88.75  1440 1488 1520 1600  900 903 909 926 +hsync -vsync (55.5 kHz eP)
    ventrical@ventrical-asus-aiproactive-extreme:~$
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    6,015
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Xmir now in Saucy main repository

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    u-s-c is in the main repo now so no need for ppa, just install u-s-c & restart to try.

    The input delay bug is pretty much fixed though at least here with MY nvidia hardware vsync in nouveau continues to be nonexistent
    Restarts show vram instead of plymouth, not that big of a deal
    That pretty well streamlines the installation process. It's not rolling to llvmpipe like is was. I'll have to test those other machines.
    Last edited by ventrical; August 12th, 2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: changed *steamlines* BACK to streamlines!!sigh..
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    6,015
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Xmir now in Saucy main repository

    Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    FWIW: I just activated XMir on my 13.10

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install unity-system-compositor
    sudo restart lightdm
    and after the fresh login I have a functional desktop (not anymore the annoying second mouse pointer) and:

    Code:
    sander@HPtje:~$ grep -i xmir /var/log/Xorg.0.log 
    [  1552.710] (II) LoadModule: "xmir"
    [  1552.711] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libxmir.so
    [  1552.716] (II) Module xmir: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [  1552.726] (II) intel(0): Output XMIR-1 has no monitor section
    [  1552.726] (II) intel(0): Printing probed modes for output XMIR-1
    [  1552.726] (II) intel(0): Modeline "XMIR mode of death"x60.0   72.00  1366 1408 1440 1520  768 771 781 790 +hsync -vsync (47.4 kHz eP)
    [  1552.726] (II) intel(0): Output XMIR-1 connected
    [  1552.727] (II) intel(0): Output XMIR-1 using initial mode XMIR mode of death
    sander@HPtje:~$ 
    
    sander@HPtje:~$ grep -i loadmodule /var/log/Xorg.0.log 
    [  1552.710] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
    [  1552.710] (II) LoadModule: "xmir"
    [  1552.719] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
    [  1552.719] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
    [  1552.720] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
    [  1552.720] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
    [  1552.723] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
    [  1552.723] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
    [  1552.723] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
    [  1552.727] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
    [  1552.760] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
    [  1552.768] (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
    sander@HPtje:~$
    
    sander@HPtje:~$ ps afx | grep unity-system-compositor
    12258 ?        S      0:00  \_ /bin/sh /usr/sbin/unity-system-compositor.sleep --from-dm-fd 11 --to-dm-fd 14 --vt 7
    12261 tty7     Ssl+   0:11  |   \_ /usr/sbin/unity-system-compositor --from-dm-fd 11 --to-dm-fd 14 --vt 7
    14394 pts/8    S+     0:00          |   |   \_ grep --color=auto unity-system-compositor
    sander@HPtje:~$
    That means XMir is correctly running, doesn't it?

    FWIW: Intel CPU & GPU.

    Another way to validate that mir is working:

    Open a terminal with ctrl+alt+t

    THEN

    type in 'top' at the command prompt. You should see u-s-c in rack.

    Code:
    %Cpu(s):  4.5 us,  2.3 sy,  0.0 ni, 93.2 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
    KiB Mem:   1025960 total,   763148 used,   262812 free,    29872 buffers
    KiB Swap:  1301500 total,        0 used,  1301500 free,   394424 cached
    
      PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND           
     2136 ventrica  20   0  111m  30m 6816 S   6.3  3.0   0:00.19 evolution-calen   
     1127 root      20   0 99.4m  25m  13m S   2.7  2.5   0:05.72 Xorg              
     1009 root      20   0  195m  26m 9376 S   1.0  2.6   0:02.68 unity-system-co
    Last edited by ventrical; August 13th, 2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: changed 'valiate' BACK to 'validate'
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    ::1
    Beans
    2,464

    Re: Xmir now in Saucy main repository

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Another way to valiate that mir is working:

    Open a terminal with ctrl+alt+t

    THEN

    type in 'top' at the command prompt. You should see u-s-c in rack.

    Code:
    %Cpu(s):  4.5 us,  2.3 sy,  0.0 ni, 93.2 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
    KiB Mem:   1025960 total,   763148 used,   262812 free,    29872 buffers
    KiB Swap:  1301500 total,        0 used,  1301500 free,   394424 cached
    
      PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND           
     2136 ventrica  20   0  111m  30m 6816 S   6.3  3.0   0:00.19 evolution-calen   
     1127 root      20   0 99.4m  25m  13m S   2.7  2.5   0:05.72 Xorg              
     1009 root      20   0  195m  26m 9376 S   1.0  2.6   0:02.68 unity-system-co
    If using top, I find

    Code:
    top -bn1 | grep unity-system-compositor
    easier

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    92
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Xmir now in Saucy main repository

    Tested it and it works, but everything is really slow...
    I have massive tearing(i.e. when moving windows), when I type text into a terminal, it takes seconds till it reacts on it and the text is shown...

    Using a geforce 9600 with open source drivers.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    1,267
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Xmir now in Saucy main repository

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Another way to valiate that mir is working:

    Open a terminal with ctrl+alt+t

    THEN

    type in 'top' at the command prompt. You should see u-s-c in rack.
    That's easy, now why didn't I think of that?

    Last edited by OrangeCrate; August 12th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    153
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Xmir now in Saucy main repository

    Quote Originally Posted by sacridex View Post
    Tested it and it works, but everything is really slow...
    I have massive tearing(i.e. when moving windows), when I type text into a terminal, it takes seconds till it reacts on it and the text is shown...

    Using a geforce 9600 with open source drivers.
    I also have GeForce 9600 GT and I didn't have problems with performance or tearing, typing is flaky especially for terminal. I tested Unity and Xubuntu using grml-rescueboot which creates bootable entries in grub for iso images.

    I could watch 720p or 1080p webm music videos downloaded from YouTube without problems. The 720p worked even with 2x speed in Firefox. No problems with other effects of Unity like scale, workspaces or minimize animation.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    687
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Xmir now in Saucy main repository

    Quote Originally Posted by sacridex View Post
    Tested it and it works, but everything is really slow...
    I have massive tearing(i.e. when moving windows), when I type text into a terminal, it takes seconds till it reacts on it and the text is shown...

    Using a geforce 9600 with open source drivers.
    i have the gtx460 and it is slow also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •