Thread: GTA - San Andreas resolution problem

Beans

GTA - San Andreas resolution problem

I tried installing GTA from the DVD, but it didn't work so I installed it on a Windows machine and copied it over. When I try to open it with WINE it says that it "Cannot find 800x600x32 video mode." How do I fix this? CS runs fine under WINE, also.

Thanks a bunch

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: GTA - San Andreas resolution problem

There is a .set file usually in My Documents save game folder, this is the settings file and can be deleted to fix problems, how this translates to your Wine setup I dont know.
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beans

Okay, i will look for this file and post back. I am now using Cedega, and I still get the same problem

Thanks

Beans

EDIT: Woops, nevermind, what i said before in this post wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Greeface; July 18th, 2006 at 09:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stimpack View Post
    There is a .set file usually in My Documents save game folder, this is the settings file and can be deleted to fix problems, how this translates to your Wine setup I dont know.
    Ah, I think you are getting close. I have done some more reasearch, and I think that it's generated once you rn the game. I ran it on my windows machine and changed the settings to 800x600x16 and placed the gta_sa.set file in the my documents folder. Still doesn't work, but it doesn't bring up that error anymore, it just doesnt start.

EDIT: When I try to open it with straight WINE it still says "Cannot find 800x600x32 video mode."
    EDIT 2: It does the same as above when I usse the command "cedega gta_sa.exe"

Hmm...

Beans

Alright, I have 3 monitors so my xorg.conf file is tweaked. I replaced the current xorg.conf file with the original for 1 monitor that I had backed up, but it still does the same thing. So I am ruling out TwinView or Xinerama as the problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated! ~Greg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Greeface View Post
    EDIT: When I try to open it with straight WINE it still says "Cannot find 800x600x32 video mode."
    EDIT 2: It does the same as above when I usse the command "cedega gta_sa.exe"

Hmm...
    My solution was running winecfg and setting a virtual wine desktop and "Allow the windows manager to control the windows" on the Graphics tab. Now, it works in windowed mode, but it works...

EDIT: No problem with TwinView and 2 cloned monitors.