Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu vs Mint

Beans

Question Ubuntu vs Mint

Just when I was about to install Ubuntu, I had a "why not look at Mint" question thrown at me. The reasons, my friends said, is that the Mint desktop (Cinnamon) is more like Win 7 plus the fact that Ubuntu has "lost its way" like Microsoft did with its illegitimate child Windows 8, in trying to be both Desktop and Tablet Operating System. True or False?

Background:

1) I am a Desktop only user - for business, no gaming whatsoever
    2) I never have used the Windows Start Button except to shut down the computer. I never start programs from the Start Menu. I Do Not Need a Start Button.
    3) I prefer to organize my icons with a program called "Fences"; and would like my Taskbar on the bottom of the screen(s) and absolutely not on the side of the screen
    4) I need to network with Win 7 workstations and a file server.

Questions:

1) Which of the two is here to stay in terms of user acceptance and support: Ubuntu or Mint?

2) Which of the two is faster? Ubuntu or Mint?

3) Are drivers for the two equally available or am I going to be SOL with some of my hardware?

4) Support: Quite honestly and rather cruelly stated, the Ubuntu Forum is exemplary - Vibrant, active, responsive and full of very useful information. By contrast the Mint Forum appears a bit "sad and lonely".

Beans

Re: Ubuntu vs Mint

Mint is based on Ubuntu so it's mostly the same but it offers different desktop environments (Cinnamont, MATE and Xfce). Personally I like MATE and Xfce (equally, can't say I really prefer one or another at the moment). But it's hard to predict what you'll like most - you need to try and see for yourself. I know there are people who genuinely like Unity (the current Ubuntu DE) and I don't even understand how it's possible. :)

As for support, for now Mint isn't so much different from Ubuntu. Most howtos and solutions should be applicable to either.

Beans

Whether people use A or B, they're most welcome to search the forum in case their question has already been asked. If a similar question has already been asked, it maybe a better idea to contribute to the thread containing that question.

In this case, look at Ubuntu vs LinuxMint
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

First off, Ubuntu "hasn't lost it's way" it becoming the first true convergence OS. Unlike Macroshat which tries to put the same desktop on multiple platforms with different cores/kernels, Ubuntu puts a different desktop for each device and uses the same core and kernel. Ubuntu is built to be flexible. What most people complain about in Ubuntu and the reason why they hate it so much is the fact Ubuntu is a heavily commercialized OS. Desigend from the ground up to be for the general consumer. Which means certain things in Ubuntu may be added in or torn out of the traditional GNU/Linux setup so Ubuntu would be more fixed in its features and configurations in a way to make it more average consumer friendly. Ubuntu is in the same boat as Android when it comes down to it. If you don't like the commercialized/consumer-oriented Ubuntu, try Mint.

Now after that, Mint may be SLOWER THAN UBUNTU WITH UNITY ON SOME PC'S! For some reason, for me anyways, Mint's Compositor isn't a very good performer and on my PC I've seen my graphics performance HALVED when using Cinnamon as compared to Unity. Went from a GL Mark score of 1019 to 529.

Either Ubuntu or Cinnamon are good basic user OS's

Unity dosen't really have a start button, it has a "Dashboard" where most of the Unity Magic happens. You most certainly have to use it on Ubuntu to do pretty much anything really unless you fill the sidebar with launchers.

Unity can not place it's launcher or dashboard on the bottom, sorry. BUT it does support alternate launchers like Docky or Cairo Dock.

Ubuntu has decent networking features with Windows file servers using Samba.

As for drivers, since Mate uses Ubuntu as it's base, they are the same driver wise. But I have heard that Linux mint 13 still supports older ATI cards. But I don't really know for sure.

Yes, Ubuntu Forums has a bigger audience than The Mint forums.
    Last edited by SweetAurora; August 9th, 2013 at 04:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Heres another link

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9

If you run Mint, you will not have the support that Ubuntu has to offer. Also Mint and others like it came about because people did not like the new Unity desktop. Mint has the old desktop look and if thats what your after, all you have to do is run Ubuntu Gnome Classic.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gnom...w=1024&bih=582
    Click on NewDocs PopularPages -- Ubuntu Documentation Search Tool
    Earn extra beans, report SPAM. Use the "Report Post" button.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kitsuneinari78 View Post
    Mint will be SLOWER THAN UBUNTU WITH UNITY!
    That's not true. At least in most cases. Definitely not true for Mint/Xfce in practically any case I can imagine. Cinnamon can be slow because it's based on Gnome 3 which isn't really fast in the first place.
    Last edited by prodigy_; August 9th, 2013 at 04:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

prodigy_ just putting out my experience with Cinnamon. No matter what Distro I used, My PC lagged like crazy. It isn't that old either it still has a few years left.

There I edited my previous statement up there. I made it less a definite and more a possibility.
    Last edited by SweetAurora; August 9th, 2013 at 04:25 AM.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Ubuntu vs Mint

You fellows have given me so much information. Please understand that I will respond after I have taken time to digest all the info you have given me as well as what's on the links you were kind enough to suggest.

Right now I'm off to get another MRI, 2nd in two days. Suggestion: when you're young and dumb, don't do full-contact sports. The girls will love you, the guys will fear you and when you get older your body will fall apart around you.

Btw, I will go with Ubuntu. It just seems to be a matter of Desktop preference. Also, please understand that I'm a bit stuck in a MicroShaft way of looking at things such that I thought Ubuntu and Mint were fundamentally different kernels.

Again, so sorry for the tinker-toy level of questions. You folks are very tolerant and I do sincerely appreciate it.

++++++++++++++++++
    This is something I have also heard and now see it again on your forum. My concern is that Ubuntu would go the way of MS and try to be both desktop and tablet, with an eye on monetizing both.?

As Ubuntu appears to be breaking away from linux community and becoming a more closed and restricted business model.
    Not that is bad. As Mr. Shuttleworth has put his money in and has a right to see if Ubuntu can generate profit.As Ubuntu appears to be breaking away from linux community and becoming a more closed and restricted business model.
    Not that is bad. As Mr. Shuttleworth has put his money in and has a right to see if Ubuntu can generate profit.
    Last edited by incurablegeek; August 9th, 2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unity sorta does work out for tablets and stuff, and they seem to be moving that direction, but there are many ways around this, like the derivatives of Ubuntu. I use Xubuntu for example. It is a bit more desktop friendly if you ask me, but so is mint and the such with that. Even if you get one of the Desktops, and do not like the interface later down the road, it is possible to switch to another Desktop-environment! I have LXDE as my second DE on there, which is what Lubuntu does. That is pretty easy to do.

Yes, Ubuntu seems to be breaking away in somethings from the community, like when they made Unity, (made a lot of people switch their distros.) and the GNU ask for us not to support Ubuntu, so this gets even more of the people to break away. But we will be seeing a rise in people use it over the years because it can be changed so easily to fit for another kind of environment, tablet, laptop, desktop, server, game systems, etc. And people sadly do not like so much freedom of choice, Linux users do. So when Canonical said, Here is unity, this is how we compute, Linux users were not happy. But it works for the public basically.

I still see it being supported for years, not quite restricted to like what Windows is. (Thank God, Microsoft is crazy to tell us how to compute.) So you can try it if you want on a liveDVD or something, I just had a friend switch to Ubuntu, he is liking it, and it is fine. I was thinking of trying Mint, But Mint is really just Ubuntu changed up a bit. I have heard some lack luster reviews about it, but if you do not want to fiddle setting up flash, and want it to work out of the box, Mint might be the one for you. (Though Ubuntu works out the box for me, I still had to go get flash, download media codecs, since you do not worry about that, that might not be an issue for you.)

You might look into Xubuntu if you want something that is suppose to be lighter-weight, but you will need to get the office suite like libre office yourself if you do.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans

There is an old say that goes: "It is better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Well,

1) I will definitely go with Ubuntu.
    2) While waiting for my knee MRI today, I read all the responses from this thread as well as from the links you sent me, yellow highlighted them and made notes with some additional questions. Right now I wanna go through all the materials on the site How To's before I open my mouth and ......
    3) As RadicaX pointed up, there are also "derivatives" of Ubuntu to consider, so it appears that I am not yet out of the kiddie pool.

For what it's worth, I have major tonnage of experience with computers, so customizing a desktop or configuring a layout that suits my needs in business does not make me shudder if fear.

Once again, thank you for your patience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast