Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newegg now has a Ubuntu netbook for sale

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Newegg now has a Ubuntu netbook for sale

I was looking around for a computer to recommend and noticed there as a linux entry under OS, turns out of was Ubuntu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834231067
    sadly it a low end system, but hey it is a start
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Newegg now has a Ubuntu netbook for sale

Nice.

Not sure if it's bad or not, but my first thought was "Hey, that is about as powerful as my VPS" - I think I'll go hide now.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Provided the hardware is well tested to work with Linux, products like this are good for Linux in the PC market. I think a lot of the negative perceptions of Linux come from lack of hardware support, which is understandable since most hardware manufacturers don't spend much effort developing drivers for Linux. Having options like this on the market, with Ubuntu already installed and known to work well, I think is good for that first impression for new users. That said, stuff can always break with updates even on a very stable system.

As a disclaimer, the above comments were made without any knowledge of whether this particular machine has been adequately tested with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Interesting to see that on the page they offer both MS Office, (well I suppose there is always wine), and McAfee Security suite as optional extras.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, the bundling is pretty free-form and doesn't depend on the exact model. The 1015e is available in a Windows 8 version as well.
    sadly it a low end system, but hey it is a start
    Do you know when it was released? Ubuntu systems from Asus pop up now and then, along with some other Linux variants - the X201E is fairly recent and ran Ubuntu, and there were Ubuntu (or MeeGo) versions of many of their systems in the netbook range. I don't think they've ever completely stopped selling Ubuntu devices, and it looks like this one is mostly in the same vein of making them available in both Windows or Ubuntu versions.

Edit: Oh, I see - this one's the only Linux laptop available at NewEgg right now from the search (that is, in-stock). The X201E Ubuntu version I mentioned was listed while it was in production.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; August 8th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i don't know how long newegg has had it, but it does not show up on any pricy history sites i have found so it should be fairly recent
    1st time i have seen a ubuntu computer at newegg
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server

Beans

If I had the money I'd buy one. I've run Ubuntu on a Acer netbook with less ram than that and it ran fine. If you have someone who doesn't want to fool with Win8 and doesn't need massive hardware, yeah, that would be good

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    If I had the money I'd buy one. I've run Ubuntu on a Acer netbook with less ram than that and it ran fine. If you have someone who doesn't want to fool with Win8 and doesn't need massive hardware, yeah, that would be good
    ram is fine, but a 1.1GHz Celeron cpu is not something i would recommend

Beans

People are running Ubuntu fine on this with the same processor:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817....asp?tab=Specs

I had it running on my C7 with 1.1 ghz celeron and 2 gig ram. Probably would run better with Xubu or Lubu desktop, but unless you need a speed demon laptop it should be fine. Certainly way fast than Windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Newegg now has a Ubuntu netbook for sale

I've passed this info along.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast