Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu isn't that great

Beans

Ubuntu isn't that great

My brother is a huge Linux user and he use to always bug me and tell me switch to Linux, but I never did until a few days ago.

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 as it supports Steam. Compared to Windows, the OS feels more fast, free, and it has a lot of cool effects. Aside from that, it's not that great. It's filled with bugs. In just a few days, I've came across so many problems, and when I research these problems, it turns out to be a bug. I'm running this on an i5 2500k and GTX 660, the thing has some moments where it freezes. I'll tell you this, Windows 7 have yet to freeze or give me any issue on this system. All this "virus" talk on Windows is crap. If you know how to manage what's on your system you're not going to get a virus.

Anyways I am very disappointed in Ubuntu. I thought it supposed to be one of the best OS on the Linux kernel, but I was wrong. Every single thing I want to do turns out to be some issue or bug. And yes it's a bug because I've researched by issues and it's all confirmed as bugs. I don't know what my brother use to talk about but I am disappointed. I can't tell him this because he is in the military.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu isn't that great

Works out quite well for a lot of us.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Works out quite well for a lot of us.
    ironic because when i search the bugs i find, many many other people are experiencing the same thing

sometime i even youtube it and people comment and say "oh if linux can't even get these simple features working well how in the world do they say it's better than windows"

dude right now im currently searching how to change the time my computer goes to sleep, apparently, that is hard to do as well

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by XG4GRhE View Post
    Anyways I am very disappointed in Ubuntu. I thought it supposed to be one of the best OS on the Linux kernel, but I was wrong. Every single thing I want to do turns out to be some issue or bug. And yes it's a bug because I've researched by issues and it's all confirmed as bugs. I don't know what my brother use to talk about but I am disappointed. I can't tell him this because he is in the military.
    Could you give us some examples? I have not run across many issues that I couldn't resolve right here in the forums. I'd be interested to hear what issues you are having or have found to be bugs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

To change your sleep timer, try http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1374817

Beans

It actually depends on your hardware, the issue facing linux is that drivers are mainly written for windows and there is a gap made.
    The linux drivers overall are okay but some devices work better then others.
    Plus there is Ubuntu 12.04 itself witch is actually not that good of a release in my opinion.
    I say 13.04 might actually work better but due to its limited lifespan well its not really much of an option.
    Luckily there are plenty of other linux distros such as openSUSE out there.
    If Ubuntu is not to your liking there are plenty of distros in the sea.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

ironic because when i search the bugs i find, many many other people are experiencing the same thing
    Ironic, because I've been using Linux for several years (Ubuntu as well as other distros) and things have worked out so well that I don't even use Windows at home -- haven't for maybe 5 years or so. I certainly am not running into the kinds of problems you're dealing with. To say that Ubuntu (or Linux) isn't that great, seems to me that a lot depends on the user (and, as noted above, the hardware). Not to say that everything in Linux is perfect, but no OS is perfect (I have to use Windows at work). But there must be some reason why so many people are happy with it (just finished reading a thread here at these forums about NASA's use of Linux and Ubuntu...).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrManican View Post
    Could you give us some examples? I have not run across many issues that I couldn't resolve right here in the forums. I'd be interested to hear what issues you are having or have found to be bugs.
    Well I fixed most of the bugs I encountered so far, like computer not shutting down, video tearing, some host problem, and some other stuff I can't remember. I got some help here on the forums.

While I was trying to reply to you my browser got stuck and it couldn't move.

Picture:

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2q15m4n.jpg

I had to quit Google Chrome and launch it again.

My problem is that I'm finding too many little bugs that I think the developers should have fixed.

Beans

My problem is that I'm finding too many little bugs that I think the developers should have fixed.
    See, if you think people here can help you, just ask and provide appropriate details. Otherwise, we're just going to have yet another XYZ suxx! No, it doesn't! type of thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are finding bugs, I'd suggest you report them, have a look here, as it explains how to report a bug the Ubuntu way.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast