Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 (Unity) - window resize stopped working

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 (Unity) - window resize stopped working

Yesterday I decided to reboot my system and install the latest patches. (Alas, Ubuntu isn't stable enough that I can keep it up for months at a time.) I had last rebooted 21 days previously. I don't remember for sure, but I had probably installed the latest patches at that time.

I used the "Software Updater" GUI to do the update yesterday; IIRC, it took me to some GUI interface that presumably wrapped "shutdown -r now" or similar. In any case, I definitely rebooted after the update.

It came back up without problems, and I was able to resize some windows, but within a few hours (4 or less), I became unable to resize windows. There's a yellow outline still stuck on my screen from the first resize attempt that failed. Immediately after that, I believe I couldn't even get the resize cursor, using the method of grabbing a window corner. Later I got the cursor back, but it's a no-op. Right clicking on the window title bar and selecting resize gave me a resize cursor, which had no effect.

My laptop was not unusually loaded. It does however have a history of issues like losing its monitors, getting confused on suspend, etc. (I blame this on lenovo )

Is this a new bug, or an old one? Where would I find any diagnostics which Unity might be producing?

Thanks for any insight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 12.10 (Unity) - window resize stopped working

Try upgrading to the latest ubuntu version, or get the LTS version. That (sometimes) fixes problems.

Be sure to read the Release Notes.
    -Jonathan