Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nasa uses Ubuntu for Curiosity rover!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Nasa uses Ubuntu for Curiosity rover!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyOats View Post
    I'm not a detractor. I just don't like Unity. It's why I went with Kubuntu.
    I found it to be less-than-great, as well. That's why I went with Lubuntu

Beans

If you pay attention to who's talking, you'll notice that the Unity hate all comes from a handful of users, and that they claim to not use it anyway. (!?)

Then you get a lot of people who don't use it, acknowledge that and get on with it. I'm in this group.

But considering the popularity of Ubuntu, that leaves a stupendous amount of people who don't say anything, and that means they're probably either OK with Unity or they like it. Statistically speaking that means probably almost everyone who uses it likes it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Or tolerates it, doesn't notice it, or doesn't really know about, consider, or have access to alternatives. I mean, it's just an interface. People aren't OS "fans" don't notice interfaces at all except when they change. (None of that, of course, discounts your main point - Unity is certainly not problematic for the majority of users. "Like" is just too specific a word.)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

The great thing about Linux is that there are so many different distros.
    That people describe what they like and what they don't, and then use their distro of preference is good in my opinion.

Beans

@Copper Bezel, that's why I said they're OK with it. OK doesn't mean like, it just means they get along with it well enough to not be motivated to look for something else.

@Netstatus, that's why I'm so confused by the people who rant their anti-Unity and anti-corporate hate. There are lots of distros out there, at least one of them is surely right up your (the collective "your") alley. I use 4 distros right now, each in the application I like it best for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post

@Netstatus, that's why I'm so confused by the people who rant their anti-Unity and anti-corporate hate. There are lots of distros out there, at least one of them is surely right up your (the collective "your") alley. I use 4 distros right now, each in the application I like it best for.
    I can understand the 'anti-corporate hate' when it comes to those who have been using Ubuntu through the years, while I don't entirely agree with it. There is a thread going on exactly about that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Being a "detractor" doesn't mean saying "it's not right for me, so some other distro..." It means saying "OMG, Unity is THE WORST THING EVER, nobody can use it -- it's useless!!!", and then JPL makes fools of them by running Curiosity with it.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Unity is certainly not problematic for the majority of users.
    Certainly? Sounds like you conducted a study on the matter. I'd like to hear more about it.

And "problematic" is too vague a word. Not being "problematic" enough to warrant an instant migration to another distro doesn't mean being convenient or efficient.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    JPL makes fools of them by running Curiosity with it
    ...because JPL IT is run by omniscient and unerring god. /facepalm

Just because those guys know a lot about jet propulsion doesn't mean they know jack about OS DEs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

It means they know what works forthem. And you don't. I'm a lot more impressed by high-performing geeks than I am by just another person on the internet.
    Last edited by CharlesA; August 9th, 2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: snipped potential insult.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast