Thread: Cinnamon network manager applet not retaining mobile broadband settings

Beans

Question Cinnamon network manager applet not retaining mobile broadband settings

I am having problems with the nm-applet component of the Cinnamon desktop on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise).

My setup is such that I frequently switch between smartphone, a regular use 3g mobile dongle and a prepaid 3g dongle. The last two are the issue - they have different APNs, one requires a login and one doesn't. They need to be distinct from each other as listed connections.

The network settings component nm-applet is not remembering the different configs the way it used to in Gnome 2. Further, if I add the first connection then add the second, the first gets deleted. I also have the problem of not being able to subsequently access the settings area without one of the dongles connected and configured. This is pretty annoying.

The applet is the one that is part of cinnamon applets set up area - and it is plugging into the gnome nm-applet as far as I can tell. But I may be wrong, I'm also lost as to where to find info on what is actually running. It's pretty annoying. Unity does not have this problem, but Unity makes me want to throw my notebook across the room. Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this?

Edit: I've moved the question to the network wireless forum. I posted here originally because it seems to be a cinnamon only prob -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2165966
    Last edited by felgro; August 7th, 2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: moved question