Thread: Home Media Set-Up Ideas

Beans

Question Home Media Set-Up Ideas

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping you can help me work out what my best options are for setting up a cheap and user friendly home media set-up.

Up to now I've been using PS3 media server from my desktop pc and streaming to my PS3 in the lounge room over the local network.
    My Desktop has recently broken which has me thinking its about time to set up a small server which I can then also use as a media server.

I have another couple of Smart TV's (wireless) but cannot afford and don't want to plug a PS3 into each one of them.
    At the moment using the PS3 media server I can browse my media but most of it wont play because its an unsupported format by the TV's and then the files that do play tend to have the audio horribly out of Sync.

I guess I'm wondering what the best thing would be for me to run as my media server and then how I can reliably and easily access and play my media from any of my other TV's / Stereo's .

One other thing that I want is the ability to control all of this from an android smart phone and tablet if i choose. I have been playing with BubbleUPNP on my phone and found that to be a great App but at the moment it's of no use to me because it does not see my Smart TV's as renderers.

I have an old notebook I'm using at the moment with PS3 media server so I can use that to get things going for the time being until I get a chance to look into setting up a server.

Any solutions you guys could recommend would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
    Lee.

Beans

Re: Home Media Set-Up Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by rucker222 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm hoping you can help me work out what my best options are for setting up a cheap and user friendly home media set-up.

Up to now I've been using PS3 media server from my desktop pc and streaming to my PS3 in the lounge room over the local network.
    My Desktop has recently broken which has me thinking its about time to set up a small server which I can then also use as a media server.

I have another couple of Smart TV's (wireless) but cannot afford and don't want to plug a PS3 into each one of them.
    At the moment using the PS3 media server I can browse my media but most of it wont play because its an unsupported format by the TV's and then the files that do play tend to have the audio horribly out of Sync.

I guess I'm wondering what the best thing would be for me to run as my media server and then how I can reliably and easily access and play my media from any of my other TV's / Stereo's .

One other thing that I want is the ability to control all of this from an android smart phone and tablet if i choose. I have been playing with BubbleUPNP on my phone and found that to be a great App but at the moment it's of no use to me because it does not see my Smart TV's as renderers.

I have an old notebook I'm using at the moment with PS3 media server so I can use that to get things going for the time being until I get a chance to look into setting up a server.

Any solutions you guys could recommend would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
    Lee.

Lee-

Easiest way forward for you would be a cheapie pvr with dual HD tuners such as the AstoneMP-310DT
    It will save you a lot of grief and can be had for as little as $100.00. Whack a 2 tb hdd into it and it will handle any file format you can throw at it. HDMI, Component, composite and optical/co-axial as well as network capability. Comes complete with crappy remote.
    Tony
    Gigabyte Z68XUD43B i7 16gb ram 5.25tb GTS450 HR2200/HR2210 64-bit Mythbuntu/W8.1 dual boot BE/FE
    Laptop Samsung Windows 8 64-bit/mint 16