Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot connect to other devices on network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cannot connect to other devices on network

When I try to go to other devices, such as network drive, other computers, I click on "browse network" then "Windows Network" comes up, I double click on it, then the name of my work group "Starband" comes up. Then after about a 30 second period a message comes up "Unable to mount location, Failed to retrieve share list from server". I used to be able to connect to other devices on the network OK and can still do so under Win 7. Something has changed but being an absolute beginner I do know what. I am running 12.04. My wireless network is working as I can surf the net, just cannot connect to other devices other than the wireless router (Buffalo technologies, running DD-WRT firmware) and my DSL modem. How can I diagnose and fix this problem?
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot connect to other devices on network

$ smbtree
    What is the output? Please retain the whitespace when you post here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    $ smbtree
    What is the output? Please retain the whitespace when you post here.
    I'm sorry but I do not understand what you mean by "output" nor "Whitespace" . Please explain.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mmcl26554 View Post
    I'm sorry but I do not understand what you mean by "output" nor "Whitespace" . Please explain.
    Michael
    Whenever someone show a command - usually with a "$" at the front, they want you to do this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

In UNIX/Linux systems, copy/paste is trivial with the mouse. When you paste the command output back in these forums, it is important to retain whitespace so things line up correctly. If they don't, people might not look at the output at all if it is too hard to read. To retain whitespace, the "code" tag is available. That is available under the "Adv Reply" tools. In my browser, bubble-help says "WRAP [code] tags around the selected text".

BTW, thanks for asking. It will help us to help you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Whenever someone show a command - usually with a "$" at the front, they want you to do this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

In UNIX/Linux systems, copy/paste is trivial with the mouse. When you paste the command output back in these forums, it is important to retain whitespace so things line up correctly. If they don't, people might not look at the output at all if it is too hard to read. To retain whitespace, the "code" tag is available. That is available under the "Adv Reply" tools. In my browser, bubble-help says "WRAP [code] tags around the selected text".

BTW, thanks for asking. It will help us to help you.
    Wouldn't it have been easier to begin with to just ask the OP to wrap the output with [code] tags by using the # icon at the top of the editor in your first response?
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro

I actually did not enter any code I just clicked on an item in the GUI. In the home folder of the GUI left column of commands I clicked on "Browse network", then in the next window I clicked on the Icon "Windows network" then in the next window I clicked on the icon for my work group "Starband" and it was after that I got the error message. I do very little code entry as I am an absolute beginner and am not at the level. I can enter code into a terminal screen if I know exactly what to enter, but 99.9% of my commands are clicking on an icon of word in the GUI.

Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So .... no output from the smbtree command?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Cannot connect to other devices on network "resolved"

"So .... no output from the smbtree command?" If that is the command that is generated by clicking on the icon for my work group then the output was, "Unable to mount location, Failed to retrieve share list from server". But now I just logged back into Ubuntu and went through the same process but the only difference was that instead of double left clicking I single right clicked and selected "Open" or "Open with files" whichever was at the top of the list. Now, it came up with all my network devices and I could open the files on the network drive. I have no idea why it now works unless the using the right click menu instead of double click the icon is the right thing to do. So it that the way to do this, use the right click menu, or was a ghost in the machine and it finally released control back to me. In any case it is now working as it should.
    Thank you for your responses. If you have any insights to add please do so.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro

Nutz! I spoke to soon, it's back so I could only go to my other devices on my network once, now it's back to the same thing. We're back to square #1! So I guess I still need help.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Cannot connect to other devices on network "resolved"

Quote Originally Posted by mmcl26554 View Post
    "So .... no output from the smbtree command?" If that is the command that is generated by clicking on the icon for my work group then the output was, "Unable to mount location, Failed to retrieve share list from server".
    No, it is a terminal command. But by itself it either works or it does not. What really would help is when the browsing stops working again you post the output of this (in code brackets as I have)
    Code:
    smbtree -d3
    I'm not as picky as The Fu. I'll just use whatever you give me to diagnose the situation. The -d3 turns the debug on to level 3 and that is enough. If it all wiz's by too fast and you don't know what to do, you can do this and make a text file in your home dir
    Code:
    smbtree -d3 > smbtree.txt
    ...you can cut and paste the data in the smbtree.txt file here.
    But now I just logged back into Ubuntu and went through the same process but the only difference was that instead of double left clicking I single right clicked and selected "Open" or "Open with files" whichever was at the top of the list. Now, it came up with all my network devices and I could open the files on the network drive. I have no idea why it now works unless the using the right click menu instead of double click the icon is the right thing to do. So it that the way to do this, use the right click menu, or was a ghost in the machine and it finally released control back to me. In any case it is now working as it should.
    Thank you for your responses. If you have any insights to add please do so.
    Michael
    This is not a complete guarantee that the problem has resolved itself. Restarting the machine can allow temporary access. When it fails the first step is to post the output data from the command above so someone can diagnose what is going on.

It might help to describe how you made the share you are trying to access. Did you create the Samba file server? Did you add users to the smbpasswd database. That is how you add the Samba users. Is the Samba server a host that you installed Ubuntu of some such Linux distro on?

Edit:
    "Nutz! I spoke to soon, it's back so I could only go to my other devices on my network once, now it's back to the same thing. We're back to square #1! So I guess I still need help.
    Michael "
    As I thought it would. Post the data and answer the questions and we can go from there.
    Last edited by bab1; August 7th, 2013 at 03:32 AM. Reason: spelling :-(
    -BAB1

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast