Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where has the System76 Driver for Precise release gone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Where has the System76 Driver for Precise release gone?

To clarify, are all hardware features of System76 models at time of sale guaranteed to work with the current LTS version or not? even if one or more non-LTS versions had been released when the model went on sale?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, models are only compatible with the current and future versions at the time of their release. That doesn't mean you can't try and install them, however we can't provide drivers for them and we can't offer technical support for hardware problems that arise. It won't void your hardware warranty, and we'll continue to provide technical support for future installations of supported versions.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    No, models are only compatible with the current and future versions at the time of their release.
    12.04 is a current version. So is 10.04 for a bit longer, but I can forgive that. But not supporting the latest LTS is a joke.

And, others can. I guess the replacement for my Lemur Ultra 2 when it dies will be an UltraLap. http://zareason.com/shop/UltraLap-430.html
    It can come installed with;
    Ubuntu 13.04
    Ubuntu 12.04
    Kubuntu 13.04
    Edubuntu 13.04
    Debian 7
    Linux Mint 15
    Fedora 19

I am willing to pay more for Linux support.

It is really disappointing, because I really liked your hardware and used to really like your support. This is for several Eland Pro servers, and a few laptops. But apparently, you do not want my business.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I re-installed Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64 bit and I used the Planet76 repository to install the System76 device driver. It installed the Barossa device driver for my SDXC card slot just fine. I think that's all I need right now. I still have faith in System76.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Just to add insult to injury... (And yes, I found it quite insulting...)
    http://carlrichell.com/post/44549453930/lts-should-die

Beans

http://carlrichell.com/post/44549453930/lts-should-die

I think its great. Where is the problem with moving to a rolling release. LTS is the old way of doing things and it shows. I would rather have features as they become available instead of held up until they have a big package of them. Trickle them out slow so they can be worked on as they go instead of one big release that usually causes a mess of problems because its a big blob that wasn't tested properly. You would honestly prefer to be on a LTS schedule and whine about new releases instead of always being updated with the newest stuff?

Servers I agree, but for servers you really should be using Debian / CentOS / Redhat. Anyone using Ubuntu, whether LTS or not is asking for trouble to begin with as far as servers are concerned. That is just my experience with it though. Bring on the rolling release desktop. Much easier for almost every other customer except the few because then they will always be updated as they normally do it, not having to go through a potential nightmare of a dist-upgrade.

*EDIT* In the end it isn't hard to backup your /var/cache/apt/archives/system76-driver????.deb file and run it manually. Anyone who understands enough about LTS and release cycles should be able to do this without issue.
    Last edited by Jason_Gibson; January 15th, 2014 at 11:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

By now 12.04.3 technically speaking is the current version and supports the backlight and card reader in my Lemur Ultra rev 4. But if you need it you can always download the latest and previous drivers at via their wiki.
    Last edited by joe4ska; January 18th, 2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: clarification

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12