Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where has the System76 Driver for Precise release gone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Where has the System76 Driver for Precise release gone?

The System76 driver ppa for the Precise Pangolin release--and all the other releases other than Raring-- as of this posting are gone from

http://ppa.launchpad.net/system76-de...e/ubuntu/dists

The Raring driver won't install on Pangolin (the current LTS release, might I add). Synaptic reports it as "broken" when I try to install it. I've recently re-installed a fresh copy of 12.04 on my Pangolin Performance Version 6. Will I be forced to upgrade to Raring or will the Precise version reappear?

EDIT: I found version 3.2.7 here:

http://planet76.com/repositories/

and installed the Debian archive that I found there. Note that the driver change log only goes up to 3.2.1. That should take care of my fingerprint reader, but following the instructions here tries to add the non-existent Precise driver and needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by NathanZal; August 6th, 2013 at 01:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Where has the System76 Driver for Precise release gone?

We don't officially support Precise. We only recommend running the latest version of Ubuntu.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    We don't officially support Precise. We only recommend running the latest version of Ubuntu.
    Really? Are you kidding me? You're kicking all the 12.04 LTR users to the curb and breaking their ability to re-install. Terrific.

You're telling me that you DO NOT support the current LTR (which is what Precise is) once it's no longer the latest? That's an anti-customer decision. Surely maintaining a ppa channel of previous "unsupported" releases isn't that resource intensive. You've gone to the trouble of removing them, after all.

You can at least update your Wiki to reflect this, so people will know.

It looks like it's time for me to put Windows 7 on my panp6 and run Ubuntu in a VM. At least I'll be able to run the latest Nvidia drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Because we use brand-new cutting edge hardware, we've found that the latest release will tend to be more stable and faster than older releases. I should point out that LTS releases aren't significantly more or less stable than normal releases. They're intended for businesses with large numbers of machines, and who can't update all of them every six months, and thus update them every two years instead, which is much more manageable.

The new PPA architechture is new for 13.04, and will be the new system going forward. Previous releases should use the drivers from planet76.com.
    Last edited by isantop; August 6th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Wow! I am still somewhat surprised from the reaction to my laptop in the other thread and now this?

For the record, I am just now starting to migrate from 10.04 to 12.04 as there were stability problems up to now. (With gnome-panel) And there are some major issues going forward with the step versions. And you will have to support 12.04 for the server hardware, or you will see a big hit in sales.

Lastly, this does not seem like the company I dealt with a couple of years ago when I bought several laptops and servers. At that time the support was beyond fantastic. It was one of the reasons I have recommended you so highly to this point. (In one case to a client who wanted a Windows server, and yours was still the best value for the money) Please tell me I am over reacting!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What System76 didn't tell you is that they no longer imbed any drivers in system76-driver. It's a dummy package that pulls in a bunch of stuff--not including the fingerprint reader, mind you--as packages distributed elsewhere. There are instructions about where to get the fingerprint reader buried in the wiki. There's also support for a system76-nvidia-driver package that pulls in the latest supported version of the Nvidia universal driver, if that's something you need. It's not the latest by a long shot, but it's about the best you can so. But that's all in 13.04. There is a Debian package on planet76.com (there's a link in my post) where you can find the old system76 driver and install it by hand. I did that and was able to get the fingerprint reader working again, although not as consistently as it did in the past.

I did the "migration" from 10.04 to 12.04 by saving the home directory on an external drive and then doing a clean install. If there's an upgrade path I wasn't able to find it. And going step-by-step through all the releases sounds like asking for trouble, frankly.

I found their terse unhelpfulness and their justification for brushing LTS users off the way they did as, frankly, ample evidence as far as I am concerned that they no longer want my business. Well, the feeling is mutual.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonbofh View Post
    Wow! I am still somewhat surprised from the reaction to my laptop in the other thread and now this?

For the record, I am just now starting to migrate from 10.04 to 12.04 as there were stability problems up to now. (With gnome-panel) And there are some major issues going forward with the step versions. And you will have to support 12.04 for the server hardware, or you will see a big hit in sales.

Lastly, this does not seem like the company I dealt with a couple of years ago when I bought several laptops and servers. At that time the support was beyond fantastic. It was one of the reasons I have recommended you so highly to this point. (In one case to a client who wanted a Windows server, and yours was still the best value for the money) Please tell me I am over reacting!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am shocked to read this. As a previous purchaser from System76 I was always very happy with their support, but that was a few years ago. I always stick with LTS releases, and I would expect support on them for at least the 2 years until the next LTS is released. That goes double now that intermediate releases have only a nine-month lifespan instead of 18 months. I never dist upgrade right when the new LTS release comes out, either-- I wait 2-3 months for the kinks to be worked out. I assume that most business customers value stability and would take a similar approach, so a policy of not supporting customers using the LTS six months after it came out is something that any potential customer should consider carefully before purchasing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I apologize for the miscommunication. I see where I misspoke.

By "support" I don't mean technical support, I mean active driver development. By the time new releases come out, the LTS release has had all bugs fixed, and in general will no longer require additional patches.

Running an LTS will not void your technical support policy.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

However, trying to install 12.04 on a new Lemur Ultra Thin, and your on your own? Really? Then why not just buy it from Clevo, if I have to find the drivers myself? If this sounds a little cold and callus, than you are hearing it right. You are hearing what I heard from your end about folks wanting to stay on an LTS. It is far from the service I got from Janella Bonner back in 2010. Of from Carl Richell in 2009. This is very sad...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 12.04 is 16 months old, this would be like Dell or Lenovo not supplying drivers for Windows 7 or a better example HP still providing drivers for Red Hat Enterprise 4 on their servers.

I can understand dropping unsupported versions of Ubuntu but there should be an install package for each supported version of the OS available through it own update channel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast