Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New forum login - no remember me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Is it possible to login to forum automatically?

Under the old forum setup I was always logged in automatically whenever I opened a forum page.

That no longer happens and after logging in I am not taken back to the page I was previously viewing but to the main page of the forum; not very useful!

Is this simply a problem related to the new setup being exactly that, ie new, and not yet completely finished, or am I missing some simple way of auto-logging in whenever I visit the forum?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Is it possible to login to forum automatically?

I think it's due to SSO.

So far I am able to close the browser and just click the login with SSO button and it logs me in after verifying what information I want to share.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As far as I recall, the time-out is set to 2 hours, and we are still investigating the remember me option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Under the old forum setup I was always logged in automatically whenever I opened a forum page.
    I don't remember any auto-login. Did you perhaps use remember me and never closed the browser and/or not cleared cookies? In which case you would have been permanently logged in.

There is a security angle of course. If a non-staff member was permanently logged in and a malicious person gained access to the machine, then the worst that could happen is that spam or abusive posts could have been posted in your name.

However, if an admin or moderator was permanently logged in and a malicious person gained access to the machine.... Well.

We'll be guided by Canonical sysadmins on this.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Have to agree that this clicking, opening a new page, being redirected, unselecting info, clicking and being directed back to the forums is a bit of a pita and a long way to get into the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The Ubuntu Desktop Team has a "Mission Statement" that defines usability as "A usable desktop aids the user in their work, but does not give them challenging obstacles."

IMHO, the hoops that SSO requires us to jump through just to login (and stay logged-in!) to the forums currently falls somewhat short of this worthy objective.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Have to agree that this clicking, opening a new page, being redirected, unselecting info, clicking and being directed back to the forums is a bit of a pita and a long way to get into the forums.
    +1 on that.

They know who we are, proof is; we get emails saying a new post ... blah blah ...

... but when I click on it, it doesn't take me to the new post. I have to SSO log in, then click on the link again.

I've had to do that three times in the past hour ... testing trying to get it to remember me. NO GO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Looks like it just got fixed. I opened a new tab, ubuntuforums.. an voila' auto logon... no more clicking SSO

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Looks like it just got fixed. I opened a new tab, ubuntuforums.. an voila' auto logon... no more clicking SSO
    +1 Just tried it now and it seems to work. I'll let my wrath subside for now

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    If you had your browser open that doesn't count. Closed down and come back ... it still required a log in through OSS.

Time with patience --- I'm sure they will get it fixed.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast