Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New forum login - no remember me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New forum login - no remember me?

Indeed!!!
    As someone who is logging in 3-10 times a day at the moment you're not the only one who is eagerly waiting for the 'remember me' option.
    We are all in the same boat at the moment so please do not rock it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't see any problem. If your browser stores the passwords, it's just a couple extra clicks and viola you're in!
    I used Firefox exclusively and it worked fine but, now using Chromium and it stores the passwords as well and it's just a couple of extra clicks.

That is not that bad if that is what it takes to prevent another take down of this forum. That seemed like months when this thing went down.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Precise 12.04 | Trusty 14.04 | Vivid Mate 15.04 | Mint Rebecca 17.1 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

I just double click in the web address at the top until it's all highlighted. Then type "ub" and when I see the forum I click on it.
    Then I click "Login with sso", then I pause until I see "You are logging in to http://ubuntuforums.org" and I click on "Yes, log me in" and I am there.
    That is not really that bad is it?

Haven't ever seen it time me out.
    Precise 12.04 | Trusty 14.04 | Vivid Mate 15.04 | Mint Rebecca 17.1 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I hope I'm not rocking the boat with this reply - it is meant as something for the Is team at C. to see.

I also have problems with this. I have a lot of threads bookmarked in my browser and with the old way I could click them and go right to the thread and post a reply. Now it makes me go through the login, which in turn dumps me onto the Forum sub-forum index page - not what I had bookmarked.

Please understand - I know this isn't the forum's fault. I know how much work it was for forum staff to work with C. IS staff and get things going again. I know the new login is in place for EVERYONE'S protection - hopefully no more stolen email addresses, etc..

So, not direct to the forum staff at all - just C. IS staff: I appreciate the work done for a more secure site, but some of us are indeed paying a most inconvenient price for it. Please, if possible, find a way to remember us beyond a few hours and most importantly across reboots.

I'm just a small fish in a pond full of big fishes who have much more pressing needs than to have to deal with complaints on this.

Beans

This is really annoying, i came back after getting the above reply, went to login and was sent back to the forum index again. This new login isn't great.

What is so hard about letting us stay logged in? Cookies are not difficult, if the canonical guys find it hard to create a stay logged in function for SSO then they need new staff.

Sorry but it's true and it's fracking annoying me to the point that i visit here far far far less often. It's not just the login issue it's the redirection of having to damn find where you last where when you wanted to login.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

A ticket with Canonical IS is in the tubes on the remember me status.

For now, as has already been said earlier by others, I've adopted new routine. First of, even before going to UF, log into U1 (I always clear everything when I quit the browser) > then log into main UF page > then open whichever page I want from my email notifications or bookmarks. I do not have a better alternative to offer for now. Maybe others have different routines.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    A ticket with Canonical IS is in the tubes on the remember me status.

For now, as has already been said earlier by others, I've adopted new routine. First of, even before going to UF, log into U1 (I always clear everything when I quit the browser) > then log into main UF page > then open whichever page I want from my email notifications or bookmarks. I do not have a better alternative to offer for now. Maybe others have different routines.
    +1
    Login first and then go to your bookmarks. That works.

Beans
    Distro

There are always workarounds...

...workarounds are not fixes.

There is a good reason why people seek fixes despite the existence and knowledge of workarounds.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

This thread can go round and round in circles for as long as people want.

The ticket has been done for IS - they will look at it when they look at it - we have no control over them at all.

When it's done or being physically looked at by then - until then talk amongst yourselves.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    This thread can go round and round in circles for as long as people want.
    ..agreed, and it will unless the thread is locked, not that I'm recommending that
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast