Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New forum login - no remember me?

Beans

Re: New forum login - no remember me?

Yep agree and as a user don't like the "Low priority" tag given it.
    And personally don't care if it's only a couple of extra clicks.
    But is annoying enough to be an issue every time I check the forums.

Beans

It's possible that this is a temporary measure until they get things sorted out. It's possible their first priority was getting the Forums back online.

Other "Ubuntu" resources, Ask Ubuntu (not owned by Canonical), help.ubuntu.com, and Launchpad, still remember us after shutting down the browser and so I feel UF will come around. BTW, I sign into those sites with a Google account, not a Ubuntu One account, if it matters.

Even if it's a permanent measure, while it certainly is a few clicks more, it's really not a big deal, just unusual..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    Quite annoying having to re-login everytime.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    As per the new login method, as long as you are logged into UOne in your browser session, you can return to the forums without login in again.
    ..then I have a bug report to submit - My last or second last post on the forums required me to re-login to submit my post, although I was already logged in on the "login with SSO" page. So I only needed to confirm the details I wanted to share, but then it redirected me to the forums index page. A "back > back > copy content > refresh > submit" did the job, but it was obviously quite annoying and could be a major let down if I had to type the post again.

The "required to re-login" thing was same as old login method when the "remember me" option was not checked and there was a long gap between starting and finishing a post (usual for me). But the redirect to the index page was a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    I fear this will make a few people move.
    ..or at least make them far less interested, like me.

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    I believe so, but it is not very high on the pile
    Disappointing. I hope the time comes soon when it'll be taken care of.

PS: Very nice to see you back bapoumba
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spellbinder View Post
    I leave the forums and come back a few minutes later, I'm forced to log in again. Quite ludicrous.
    Not a few - 120. Until this has been looked at properly by sysadmins, the session timeout has been increased to 2 hours. I certainly don't experience any problem coming back to the forum a "few" minutes later.

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    My last or second last post on the forums required me to re-login to submit my post, although I was already logged in on the "login with SSO" page. So I only needed to confirm the details I wanted to share, but then it redirected me to the forums index page. A "back > back > copy content > refresh > submit" did the job, but it was obviously quite annoying and could be a major let down if I had to type the post again.
    This should only happen if your last activity - a page refresh, move to another page or any activity - was more than 2 hours previously. Are you sure that you had been continuously active up until a few minutes before that happened?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    This should only happen if your last activity - a page refresh, move to another page or any activity - was more than 2 hours previously. Are you sure that you had been continuously active up until a few minutes before that happened?
    No, there was quite a long delay in between. Although I believe it was less than an hour (was just one line of answer, only I moved away for a while before inserting the link and hitting the "submit" button), but right now, I'm not sure about the duration of the inactivity.

What I can confirm is that just a few minutes ago, I submitted another post with almost an hour of inactivity between starting and submitting the post (had to move away again), and the logout issue didn't occur this time. So you may be right about the 2 hr thing.

But the redirect to index page thing is still an issue, for example, when you are browsing threads without being logged in, click on "Reply with quote" > log in and get redirected to index page instead of the the thread you were trying to answer.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am not sure why this should be an issue. First of all the forum gets compromised because the rules were laid back and made things "easier" to reconnect to the forum. Now that the rules are strengthened to try and block any compromise that might happen everyone complains because it takes a extra click or two to get to the forum. Are we as humans really that lazy that we are prepared to risk being hacked just to make life a bit easier?
    This is like airport security - it really has been beefed up in the last 10 years to protect us, yet a lot of people will squeal because it is inconveniencing them...

Phill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    PS: Very nice to see you back bapoumba
    Hello varunendra
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by erasmusp View Post
    I am not sure why this should be an issue. First of all the forum gets compromised because the rules were laid back and made things "easier" to reconnect to the forum. Now that the rules are strengthened to try and block any compromise that might happen everyone complains because it takes a extra click or two to get to the forum. Are we as humans really that lazy that we are prepared to risk being hacked just to make life a bit easier?
    +1

Users only need to login if they want to reply to a thread. I don't see a reason to log in when I just want to read threads.

It's a minor inconvenience though, when the redirection after login goes to the index page instead of the actual thread. Hopefully, the admins will fix this. In the meantime, all it takes to get back on track is right-click the browser's back button, choose the original thread, then refresh the browser. Three easy clicks that takes only a moment to do. Now, is that such a big deal? I don't think so, at least in my book.

Usually, I open several tabs when I get forum notifications. Naturally, all those tabs are not logged in. If I need to reply to more than one of those non-logged-in tabs, I just log in on one tab, then refresh the other tabs (F5 key or the refresh button) and that takes care of it. Again, is that such a big deal?

Users, you need to ADAPT.
    Last edited by Pinoy Tux; August 8th, 2013 at 06:56 AM.
    Give a man a ghoti, and he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to ghoti, and he'll eat for life.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy Tux View Post
    Usually, I open several tabs when I get forum notifications. Naturally, all those tabs are not logged in. If I need to reply to more than one of those non-logged-in tabs, I just log in on one tab, then refresh the other tabs (F5 key or the refresh button) and that takes care of it. Again, is that such a big deal?
    This is how I do it from notifications. Otherwise, I just log into Ubuntu One first, even before going to the forums.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Don't see it as a big deal either as the main reason (here) for remember me is no longer an issue.
    Between the increased timeout & autosave being logged out & possibly losing a post/reply is fairly unlikely.

That being said it was convenient & I'd certainly use if returned. (old dog habits are hard to change
    I don't see how it affects security when used by users, I'm perpetually logged into Launchpad, Ask Ubuntu & Discourse with no issues.

In lieu of it being returned I'd love to see the timeout increased to 8 -12 hrs or so, then for those that choose there would be a workaround, for at least firefox users, to allow closing the browser session but stay logged in for the timeout length

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast