Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 155

Thread: New forum login - no remember me?

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    4,001
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: New forum login - no remember me?

    How I handle this login as well as any login I want to make easy is this: on Firefox I have an add-on called Biscuit which has an option to "opt in" for a site's cookies and preserve them. The other cookies are all deleted upon browser shutdown.
    On Chromium, there is an add-on called Vanilla cookie manager that allows you to white list a site's cookies and all other cookies are also deleted upon browser shutdown.

    So after I have the cookies in Firefox I just click on Preferences > Privacy > remove individual cookies, expand login.ubuntu.com and ubuntuforums.com and put a checkmark on each cookie and they are kept.
    On Chromium, while I am on each site that I want to save the cookies I click on the icon in the address bar and select that site to white list.

    Once every 24 hours I go through the SSO login with the 3 or 4 clicks and other times it stays logged in. I don't have to remember passwords although I have them on a text file for when I need them.

    This is very reasonable to me doing it this way. I also have a static IP address. One cannot expect that if their IP address changes that they will not have to go through this process more often.
    But, with the cookie saving methods I mentioned it is not as bad as it could be.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Beans
    513
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: New forum login - no remember me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    How I handle this login as well as any login I want to make easy is this: on Firefox I have an add-on called Biscuit which has an option to "opt in" for a site's cookies and preserve them. The other cookies are all deleted upon browser shutdown.
    On Chromium, there is an add-on called Vanilla cookie manager that allows you to white list a site's cookies and all other cookies are also deleted upon browser shutdown.

    So after I have the cookies in Firefox I just click on Preferences > Privacy > remove individual cookies, expand login.ubuntu.com and ubuntuforums.com and put a checkmark on each cookie and they are kept.
    On Chromium, while I am on each site that I want to save the cookies I click on the icon in the address bar and select that site to white list.

    Once every 24 hours I go through the SSO login with the 3 or 4 clicks and other times it stays logged in. I don't have to remember passwords although I have them on a text file for when I need them.

    This is very reasonable to me doing it this way. I also have a static IP address. One cannot expect that if their IP address changes that they will not have to go through this process more often.
    But, with the cookie saving methods I mentioned it is not as bad as it could be.
    Actually I disagree. This is so common, it's a fact with every single forum I frequent except for this one. It's even common with Ubuntu One itself. I don't understand why we can't have this convenience with this forum.

    Many people including you have workarounds. We shouldn't have to use workarounds. We should have the convenience with is the norm.

    What you and a few others many not understand is that there was no element of "Remember Me" on this forum (after it came back up) until people like me described the inconvenience. Our request and suggestions are not falling on deaf ears. If no one explains the problem then we'll keep get reoccurring questions for workarounds that shouldn't have to be required.

    As far as your workaround, it isn't needed. You can have the same thing you described by the new provision, in that the "remember me" works as long as you use the same (in your case static) IP. The time you spend describing it can confuse some of the users into thinking that could use it to have the "remember me" functionality. You have it because of your static IP, not because of your workaround.

    The full remember me hasn't been restored yet because the problem isn't clear enough to the ones who has the power to fix it. I'm trying to participate in helping to explain the problem, and to comment when it has been resolved. I don't think the administrators are delibately giving us these loops. They are not experiencing them because they, like you, either have static IP's or IP's that doesn't change regularly.

    They don't realize that there are people who's IP changes on almost every bootup. I don't know if AOL's internet access still do it, but their IP address used to change even while online continuously.

    Static IP service cost more than dynamic IP services. On other forum that I know of require a user to have a static IP for the "remember me" to work. The fact that it's required with this forum is a design oversight that I'm sure will eventually be fixed just as they have worked on providing the "remember me" surviving a computer reboot.

    Before that provision, your cookie workaround would never be working at this time. If our users had been complacent and not explained the problem, you'd most likely still be suffering the loop every time you turn on your computer.

    Not going through the loop is important to you. That is why you spent time working on your workaround. If it weren't important you would never have invested that time. Apparently while you were creating your workaround, the "remember me" started working around the same time, and now you think it's because of your workaround. It's because part of the issue has been resolved.

    Now I hope you can consider how the people that don't have static IP's feel when they don't have a workaround for the convenience that you are describing that works for you.

    -- L. James

    --
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    4,001
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: New forum login - no remember me?

    Quote Originally Posted by apollothethird View Post
    Actually I disagree. This is so common, it's a fact with every single forum I frequent except for this one. It's even common with Ubuntu One itself. I don't understand why we can't have this convenience with this forum.

    Many people including you have workarounds. We shouldn't have to use workarounds. We should have the convenience with is the norm.

    What you and a few others many not understand is that there was no element of "Remember Me" on this forum (after it came back up) until people like me described the inconvenience. Our request and suggestions are not falling on deaf ears. If no one explains the problem then we'll keep get reoccurring questions for workarounds that shouldn't have to be required.

    As far as your workaround, it isn't needed. You can have the same thing you described by the new provision, in that the "remember me" works as long as you use the same (in your case static) IP. The time you spend describing it can confuse some of the users into thinking that could use it to have the "remember me" functionality. You have it because of your static IP, not because of your workaround.

    The full remember me hasn't been restored yet because the problem isn't clear enough to the ones who has the power to fix it. I'm trying to participate in helping to explain the problem, and to comment when it has been resolved. I don't think the administrators are delibately giving us these loops. They are not experiencing them because they, like you, either have static IP's or IP's that doesn't change regularly.

    They don't realize that there are people who's IP changes on almost every bootup. I don't know if AOL's internet access still do it, but their IP address used to change even while online continuously.

    Static IP service cost more than dynamic IP services. On other forum that I know of require a user to have a static IP for the "remember me" to work. The fact that it's required with this forum is a design oversight that I'm sure will eventually be fixed just as they have worked on providing the "remember me" surviving a computer reboot.

    Before that provision, your cookie workaround would never be working at this time. If our users had been complacent and not explained the problem, you'd most likely still be suffering the loop every time you turn on your computer.

    Not going through the loop is important to you. That is why you spent time working on your workaround. If it weren't important you would never have invested that time. Apparently while you were creating your workaround, the "remember me" started working around the same time, and now you think it's because of your workaround. It's because part of the issue has been resolved.

    Now I hope you can consider how the people that don't have static IP's feel when they don't have a workaround for the convenience that you are describing that works for you.

    -- L. James

    --
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames
    Actually I've had this "work around" setup like it is probably since I figured out what cookies were used for; which was a while ago.
    Plus this is not a "work around", it is just the way I have my entire 7 operating systems setup.
    I daily clear the cache, cookies, tmp files, trash, etc. before I reboot or logoff and I figured out a way to keep the cookies I want to keep and delete the rest of them.

    I offered you a way to login to this forum with 3-4 clicks since you have a dynamic IP address.
    You can either use my method, come up with another method, or complain some more.
    But, like the admins have said over and over again complaining about it will get you no where.

    We all had to go the long route every time we left the forum and came back until hloeung fixed it so it would last 24 hours.
    I'm thankful for that myself. But, even before when we had to go through the several screens, it wasn't that much of a problem to me because of the way I handle my cookies.

    Sure I could not go straight to a link but, in 3-4 easy clicks I was in and went to where it was I wanted to go in the first place.
    I would hate to have a sheet of paper or whatever sitting there with my userid and password on it entering it at each screen and any place that needed a userid/password.

    I have a few sites that I have set the cookies up for like this; my bank is one of them.
    Otherwise I would have to answer a bunch of questions like "what was the name of my grandmother's dog's maiden name" all the time.
    I do not have the patience for that.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Beans
    513
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: New forum login - no remember me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Actually I've had this "work around" setup like it is probably since I figured out what cookies were used for; which was a while ago.
    Plus this is not a "work around", it is just the way I have my entire 7 operating systems setup.
    I daily clear the cache, cookies, tmp files, trash, etc. before I reboot or logoff and I figured out a way to keep the cookies I want to keep and delete the rest of them.

    I offered you a way to login to this forum with 3-4 clicks since you have a dynamic IP address.
    You can either use my method, come up with another method, or complain some more.
    But, like the admins have said over and over again complaining about it will get you no where.

    We all had to go the long route every time we left the forum and came back until hloeung fixed it so it would last 24 hours.
    I'm thankful for that myself. But, even before when we had to go through the several screens, it wasn't that much of a problem to me because of the way I handle my cookies.

    Sure I could not go straight to a link but, in 3-4 easy clicks I was in and went to where it was I wanted to go in the first place.
    I would hate to have a sheet of paper or whatever sitting there with my userid and password on it entering it at each screen and any place that needed a userid/password.

    I have a few sites that I have set the cookies up for like this; my bank is one of them.
    Otherwise I would have to answer a bunch of questions like "what was the name of my grandmother's dog's maiden name" all the time.
    I do not have the patience for that.
    Hi, Cavsfan. I appreciate your concern to help me. My post are my concerns to help everyone. As far as static IP's I have over 20 of them in my shop. My computer is normally on a static IP. We had a wind storm in my area where there were lines down. I had to use my phone's tethering system to continue a lot of my work for a few hours until the lines were back up. During that time all the forums I frequent except for this one worked with the IP change including Ubuntu One. This forum was the only one where the remember me failed.

    All the conveniences you provide me with in your workaround works for me without your workaround. I'm not trying to be rude, just explaining a fact. You have to use your workarounds because you delete your cookies. I use the convenience of my cookies with this site as well as all the other sites I frequent... and again, it works without any workarounds. If I wanted cookies removed, I could easily manage having them removed. I understand them and use the convenience as they are by default. It works perfectly.

    What you don't appear to understand is that if you change your IP's your cookies will not provide you with the remember me convenience. You'd have to perform the loop to get in. If your workaround actually worked on this forum, I'd probably use it and promote it as a workaround until the problem is fixed.

    Please be advised that a workaround, yours, and all the others are not needed. The system has been updated in such a way to work like other forums except for the fact it does not survive IP changes. That (the not surviving IP change) is another step that I have discovered and am reporting. You can call it complaining, but I'm trying to help. Most of the people who has influence might not know this. It's clear that you think that your cookies resolution is something to pass on to help people with this "remember me" problem. However, the people with the problem are not deleting their cookies as you are. If they were deleting their cookies it would be because they are not trying to use the "remember me" feature.

    The people with the problem are currently having the problem because the "remember me" doesn't survive the IP change. It's not a problem that immediately affect me when working in my shop. But if I used a Laptop and traveled, the feature would be broken for me just as it is with the people who has dynamic IP's. This is not the norm. The norm is the way you describe:

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I have a few sites that I have set the cookies up for like this; my bank is one of them.
    Otherwise I would have to answer a bunch of questions like "what was the name of my grandmother's dog's maiden name" all the time.
    I do not have the patience for that.
    What you describe above is the norm which we all enjoy everywhere except on this forum.

    You have the convenience of your cookie system working because they updated that part, which is a step closer to having it fixed. The people who have static IP's or don't have their IP's change very often like me and like you can enjoy this convenience. If you used a Laptop and traveled this site's remember me would become broken for you just as it is for many of our users who's ISP change their IP's frequently.

    If you think your cookie system can survive and IP change, I'd install it and promote it. But it wouldn't. If you can understand the problem, you might be able to help to communicate it to the people who has the power to fix it.

    Slowly more and more people are starting to understand the problem. Slowly the forum is approaching the convenience that all other forums including Ubuntu One has.

    If someone with understanding doesn't make it clear, the problem would never really be discussed or addressed. You're able to enjoy the convenience of the cookie solution because enough people asked for and explained the "remember me" problem.. Now some have it and some don't. Most of the responses to my message are people who don't appear to understand there is still a problem or what the solution is. I understand both and am trying to participate as a concerned member for the good of the system, in the resolution.

    I understand we have a great group of provider (of this forum) which are very hard at work. They are doing a great job and great service. If someone sees a component of the system which is broke, I'm sure they would appreciate feedback on the matter.

    Your message suggested that I was complaining rather than make user of your solution. It's clear from your message that you don't fully understand the problem. So, again, I don't mean to sound like a complainer or an ungrateful person. I'm very grateful to the providers of this forum as well as your effort to share what you think is a resolution. But again, your resolution is to restore the cookies that you delete. Most of us have no need to restore the cookies because we don't delete them in the first place, so there's nothing/no need to restore. The cookies are already here, but won't provide the remember me feature after an IP change.

    -- L. James

    --
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: New forum login - no remember me?

    The way vBulletin and SSO implement remember me seems to be where the problem lies, and until this problem is resolved, the login problems will continue.

    We will not revert to the former behaviour, as the thought of someone being able to steal all the passwords and email addresses again scares the heck out of me, and the rest of the Forum Council.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Beans
    513
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: New forum login - no remember me?

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The way vBulletin and SSO implement remember me seems to be where the problem lies, and until this problem is resolved, the login problems will continue.

    We will not revert to the former behaviour, as the thought of someone being able to steal all the passwords and email addresses again scares the heck out of me, and the rest of the Forum Council.
    I don't recall anyone suggesting to use the system in the formal manner. If you think that is my suggestion, it's not. The SSO isn't the problem. The remember me works with the SSO. The forum could also use the same functionality.

    There were people that was suggesting that we were stuck with there was no element of remember me before users such as I pointed out the flawed inconvenience. The developers continued and added a comment of remember me of which many (including me) are enjoying. If no one pointed out this current flaw, it would never be considered.

    Since it's unlikely that you are among the members affected by this current flaw, you can't imagine it as a problem. Some users are having the problem and have pointed it out.

    -- L. James

    --
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

  7. #107
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The New Forest
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: New forum login - no remember me?

    I've bumped the support ticket with this IP renewing/wifi issue, which appears to be what you're saying.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: New forum login - no remember me?

    Quote Originally Posted by apollothethird View Post
    I don't recall anyone suggesting to use the system in the formal manner. If you think that is my suggestion, it's not. The SSO isn't the problem. The remember me works with the SSO. The forum could also use the same functionality.

    There were people that was suggesting that we were stuck with there was no element of remember me before users such as I pointed out the flawed inconvenience. The developers continued and added a comment of remember me of which many (including me) are enjoying. If no one pointed out this current flaw, it would never be considered.

    Since it's unlikely that you are among the members affected by this current flaw, you can't imagine it as a problem. Some users are having the problem and have pointed it out.

    -- L. James

    --
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames
    Sandyd as well as a few other members, mentioned the problem earlier in the thread, with remember me being forgotten when the IP address was changed. I'm not saying it isn't a problem, I just don't personally find it a problem.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Beans
    513
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: New forum login - no remember me?

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Sandyd as well as a few other members, mentioned the problem earlier in the thread, with remember me being forgotten when the IP address was changed. I'm not saying it isn't a problem, I just don't personally find it a problem.
    That's because, your having a static IP, it doesn't affect you. It affect the users who don't have a static IP. There's a change your ISP provides you with a static IP at no extra charge. Many ISP's change more for static IP's. Some ISP will not provide static IP's even if the user request and is willing to pay more. There just isn't enough static IP's for everyone it the world to have their own. So in many cases they are dynamically assigned as needed.

    Someone really needs to have concern for the users who don't have static IP's whether it's because they can't include it in their budget, or that it's just not available in their area.

    Many people will brush the problem off and ignore it, just because they are complacent. If everyone is complacent, the people who could fix this might never realize it's a problem.

    And again, it having "remember me" functionality weren't a big deal to most people, you wouldn't be able to enjoy this benefit, because it might have been left out altogether.

    Imagine how it was when you couldn't just click on an email notice and be at where you left off with your forum activity. I know you are experienced enought to do the loop to figure out how to get to where you left off. But that isn't so easy for some novice. While reading the messages I just noticed that a user was "scolded" for posting new threads every time he had an updated message. They user might have been posting new threads because he was having problems finding out where he left off. For you and for me (who are experts) we have a single click from our email notices. I'm trying to present the necessity for providing this convenience to the other users.

    -- L. James

    --
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljkames

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Beans
    513
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: New forum login - no remember me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I've bumped the support ticket with this IP renewing/wifi issue, which appears to be what you're saying.
    Thanks, Elfy. The last time someone said this about forwarding the issue we soon get the functionality that we currently are able to enjoy. Pointing to this thread might help the people with the controls understand the issue and how to consistently duplicate it.

    -- L. James

    --
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •