Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New forum login - no remember me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New forum login - no remember me?

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Can it be kept across IP changes as well like Launchpad?

There are certain times of day/night when I have to re-login every minute or two because my GPRS gets disconnected and the IP is changed after reconnecting.
    Very frustrating but of course not enough to keep me away from forums.
    Last I checked, it was configured to keep across a /24 network. Our awesome Forum Admins have access to increase this to something larger (or even disable, which isn't something I recommend ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by hloeung View Post
    Last I checked, it was configured to keep across a /24 network. Our awesome Forum Admins have access to increase this to something larger (or even disable, which isn't something I recommend ).
    Maybe I'm missing something. I would like to know what. I'm looking at a scenario of a different IP network and can't see the problem. Ok yea, the computer was stolen and the owner is saying, oh no, someone i going to read the forum messages in my name.

Out of all the things that might be doing with the comprised computer, it might actually be a benefit if the culprit typed a forum message from the computer. It might actually help to track the computer's location.

I didn't complain before because I thought it was something technical and the maintainers was trying to figure out how to fix it. I didn't know it was an intentional glitch/feature.

I hope this become a provision for us at Ubuntu Forums that we can soon appreciate just as we do from all the other forums we visit.

A person really concerned will already have their computer set with a password to get into his user account.

Please recommend a computer specific remember me, not IP specific.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Just so that it is completely obvious.

The only thing that we have access to does not JUST increase the 'timeout' but also affects other things.

In addition to which - it being set to 30 minutes BEFORE SSO was never ever an issue with anyone. It's set at 2 hours now, which is sufficient given that the remember me works for 24 hours, in fact I'm not sure that changing it back to 30 minutes will make any difference.

The fix needs to be in the mechanics of SSO not in fiddling with a timeout in vBulletin.

What I'm failing to understand here is that AskUbuntu and Launchpad uses SSO/OpenID - I'm logged in/remembered there even after 2 months - why can we not just have exactly the same thing as they have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    What I'm failing to understand here is that AskUbuntu and Launchpad uses SSO/OpenID - I'm logged in/remembered there even after 2 months - why can we not just have exactly the same thing as they have.
    This ^ exactly.

Just logged in to reply a post, and got disconnected. Reconnected, and of course had to ..
    refresh (to get "login with sso") > ----wait----> sso > login > -----wait/redirect -------> back > back > back > refresh.

It hurts ! A lot when you're on a 4-5 KB/s gprs !!

(and while I'm typing this, nload is again showing 0/0 ul/dl... )
    (yup, again.. )
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That explains it, it was beyond a /24, it was a different /8 ip block
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just so that it is completely obvious.

The only thing that we have access to does not JUST increase the 'timeout' but also affects other things.
    I was actually talking about vBulletin's "Session IP Octet Length Check" option meant for making it harder to hi-jack existing sessions. So that's:

AdminCP -> Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimizations

It's currently set to 255.255.255.0.

In addition to which - it being set to 30 minutes BEFORE SSO was never ever an issue with anyone. It's set at 2 hours now, which is sufficient given that the remember me works for 24 hours, in fact I'm not sure that changing it back to 30 minutes will make any difference.

The fix needs to be in the mechanics of SSO not in fiddling with a timeout in vBulletin.

Nope, it's needed in vBulletin because vBulletin implements code to clean out sessions older than a certain period of time. AskUbuntu and Launchpad doesn't do this.

If you, and the rest of the forum administrators, feel that 24 hours isn't long enough for the "Remember Me" feature please file a ticket to have it increased.

Beans
    Distro

I was actually talking about vBulletin's "Session IP Octet Length Check" option meant for making it harder to hi-jack existing sessions. So that's:

AdminCP -> Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimizations

It's currently set to 255.255.255.0.

Nope, it's needed in vBulletin because vBulletin implements code to clean out sessions older than a certain period of time. AskUbuntu and Launchpad doesn't do this.

If you, and the rest of the forum administrators, feel that 24 hours isn't long enough for the "Remember Me" feature please file a ticket to have it increased.
    The remember me works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. This is really frustrating. I don't understand why we should have to beg for this feature which exist with every other forum I visit. I can't see what it has to do with security.

This is what baffles me. The administrators apparently blocking the remember me for "security" while the SSO survives IP changes and months without logging in. What is the security component when a person clicks "Login with SSO" and is in. Except for the distraction and aggravation of the extra steps to get in, can still log into the forum by the computer user's name. In fact, it's easier now than before. If I click "Log out" because I possibly don't want anyone to use the forum in my name. The next person at the computer just click on "Login with SSO" and they are in anyway.

Again, I'm very baffled that the administrators are trying to block use of the forum for security, but the Login with SSO is giving the person access to much more sensitive data, please a host of other forums.

I hope someone doesn't read this "flaw" and break Ubuntu One. I hope they just provide that we can have the same "remember me" functionality with the Forum that we have with Ubuntu One.

I don't believe I'm missing anything. But if I am, will someone please enlighten me.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Remember me works well for me on all 4 system I use. As far as your problem with Ubuntu One login goes, it's basically your own fault, because you told your browser to remember the password.

Clear your browsers cache, and when asked if you want to save your Ubuntu One password, say no. I'm not sure how this will work with the Forums remember me feature, so you'll just have to try it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Remember me works well for me on all 4 system I use. As far as your problem with Ubuntu One login goes, it's basically your own fault, because you told your browser to remember the password.

Clear your browsers cache, and when asked if you want to save your Ubuntu One password, say no. I'm not sure how this will work with the Forums remember me feature, so you'll just have to try it.
    Hi, Cariboo. You're miss understanding my point. I tried to make it clear that I like the way Ubuntu One works. This is the way it should. There should be an option to remember so that the user doesn't have to go through loops to get in to the services.

If I were going to be concerned about a remember me, it would be Ubuntu One, not reading and posting messages on the forums.

The forums works the same way for me that it works for you until I and logged on VIA a different network. There are occasions where I tether my computer to my phone's hotspot. When I use that, I have to go thought the loop to access the forums. I don't have to do that with Ubunto One. I'm hopping we can get this same convenience moved over to the forums.

After I have changed my IP back to the original one, I have to go through the loop again.

It works the same way on all 10 of my computers as well as my tablets.

If you're saying you have tested this and can verify that you retain the "remember me" if you log in from a different network, then I would like to figure out how it's working for you, but not from the others who happen to use multiple networks.

I'm glad to explain if you still don't see the point. And again, the only way you can tell is by logging in from a different network. If you only log in on one network you would experience the problem. I don't think anyone would experience the problem as long as their IP doesn't change.

SSO where my real valuable information and resources survives an IP change. The communicating ubuntuforums.org doesn't survive an IP change. I don't want them to take away the persistence from Ubuntu One... I'm hoping they will add this convenience to the forums as with all the other forums I frequent.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by apollothethird View Post
    I tried to make it clear that I like the way Ubuntu One works....
    .. I'm hoping they will add this convenience to the forums as with all the other forums I frequent.
    ..in short, there is no explicitly provided "Remember Me" feature on the forum (while it is quite desirable), and whatever alternative is there, doesn't survive IP changes while it does on all other related sites/services.

Frustrating indeed, but we should remember that there is nothing that the 'Forum Administrators' can do about it except raising tickets and waiting for it to be addressed. That seems to have been already done (probably many times now), and the outcome seems to be just a ridiculously increased timeout which is a no solution for people like apollothethird and me who suffer frequent IP changes.

In fact we suspect increasing timeout is helping nothing and no one at all as pointed out by elfy earlier -
    ....In addition to which - it being set to 30 minutes BEFORE SSO was never ever an issue with anyone. It's set at 2 hours now, which is sufficient given that the remember me works for 24 hours, in fact I'm not sure that changing it back to 30 minutes will make any difference.

The fix needs to be in the mechanics of SSO not in fiddling with a timeout in vBulletin....
    We are thankful to hloeung for communicating with us on behalf of the canonical IS team (please correct me if I misunderstood). Unfortunately, the major issues are still there (unnecessary extra steps to login, incorrect redirection adding 4-5 extra unnecessary steps to it, and login persistence being totally out of user's control).

I hope against hope that our concerns are not only being listened to, but are also being taken into consideration by the IS team.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast