Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 and Testdisk

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 and Testdisk

dj722000;

Welll... it is like this .. the packages on the .iso file were current at the time the initial .iso file was made ... since that time many updates have been done. Those updated packages are available in the on-line repository, if you make that CD available (checked in the Software Center) then the package manager is going to look for that CD and all those old packages ...and the package manager can go berserk trying to reconcile - do a search on this forum as to how many times the advisement was that the CD/DVD avenue was enabled, and to disable it ! ...

As to what transpired that "apt-get install" failed to fetch until that option was enabled ... does not stand to reason ... Computers are finniky people ?

Perhaps you have not ran the command "sudo apt-get update" or the GUI equivalent in a while .. doing so syncs the system databases with the repository data base for what is available for update-to-be-installed. Maybe when you checked the CD/DVD box some file on the system was accessed to make a comparison ??
    In working theory all that should have been needed was:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install testdisk
    and the package manager should have gone to work and done it's thing -fetched and installed testdisk- ... no fuss, no muss.

I'll admit :
    sometime I do not know, other times I wonder
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Just so you feel at ease, I did uncheck it after it was installed. LOL I understand that logic, but I always run sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade, at least once a day. When I first went to install it, I did the sudo apt-get update, then the sudo apt-get install testdisk. Then it failed. I searched the internet for the software and downloaded it, tried to make the tar unpack and tried to install it,errrr. To complicated, so I gave up.

I right clicked on it and seen I could extract it, so I did. I seen someone had posted that you could just click on the testdisk_static after you extract it, to no avail, it wouldnt do anything. Neither one would start, thats when I turned to Ubuntu Forums, which by the way I am very happy it is back up and running. Alot of info that was almost comprimised by some jack wagon thinking there cool with a high school IQ! Enough of that subject. ....

There is so much to learn with this Ubuntu, I like the fact it is free, I like the fact there is a lot of free software that is super powerful such as this one that I installed. I like this kind of stuff, makes one sorta feel acomplished without spending gobb loads of money, until something dumb happens and your left wondering......LOL But with it being free sometimes there is things that just mess with you. Thanks for the complement if it was one earlier, if not, Ill take it as one my friend. Keep Ubuntuing on!

Beans
    Distro

On a last note however, since I just ran another sudo apt-get update; I now get all this crud at the end:

W: GPG error: http://archive.canonical.com raring Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>
    W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net raring Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 1DF68602940F55D6 Launchpad PPA for Tomasz Makarewicz
    W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://extras.ubuntu.com raring Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 16126D3A3E5C1192 Ubuntu Extras Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

W: Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/raring/Release

W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Is there a way to clean this up? I keep removing them from the software updater, but they keep coming back. I am under the assumption they are under etc? Also, when it updates, it says somethign like get, hit and ign. I assume IGN is ignore? If so, can I remove them? If so, how. Just want to clean it up a little bit.
    Last edited by dj722000; August 6th, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
    KEEP UBUNTUING ON

Beans
    Distro

dj722000; Wow ... when it rains it pours.

Let's see if we can validate the source once more:
    Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 40976EAF437D05B5
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 16126D3A3E5C1192
    for "1DF68602940F55D6 Launchpad PPA for Tomasz Makarewicz" how bout going back to his PPA page and download the key once more ?// The above code might work, just not to sure.

security do mean validation, huh

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks Bashing-om
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    dj722000; Wow ... when it rains it pours.

Let's see if we can validate the source once more:
    Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 40976EAF437D05B5
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 16126D3A3E5C1192
    for "1DF68602940F55D6 Launchpad PPA for Tomasz Makarewicz" how bout going back to his PPA page and download the key once more ?// The above code might work, just not to sure.

security do mean validation, huh

Hey sorry. I had some stuff I needed to take care of last night. Anywho, I really do aprreciate all the help your giving. I tried running those two commands and nothing, still gives the errors. As far as going to get Tomasz PPA, I think I was trying to add a PPA and it came up with an error and decided I didnt want it. I dont remember. LOL
    KEEP UBUNTUING ON

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro

@bapoumba - With high regard, Thanks for what ? .. Just look'n to keep things moving ....
    @oldos2er; Ann, as I live and learn ... bout the time I think I know something, I discover how little I actually know ...wonderful OS that we have !

@dj722000; What can I say ... open source and we are all in this together, What ever I can do to promote ubuntu is what needs doing. Helping others is one way I learn this operating system and please, Pass it on !
    In respect to the software sources, as you say you do not know ... it will behoove us at this time to take a look at what you have set for acquisition of software, see if we can see the source of the errors. Show us:
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    ls -la /etc/apt/sources.list.d ##a directory that hold other "get" files.
    As others have noted:
    if it ain't broke, you have not tweaked it enough

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    To fix your BADSIG errors, try Method #1 here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix...or-badsig.html
    Wow, it worked. Thanks a ton.
    KEEP UBUNTUING ON

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    @bapoumba - With high regard, Thanks for what ? .. Just look'n to keep things moving ....
    @oldos2er; Ann, as I live and learn ... bout the time I think I know something, I discover how little I actually know ...wonderful OS that we have !

@dj722000; What can I say ... open source and we are all in this together, What ever I can do to promote ubuntu is what needs doing. Helping others is one way I learn this operating system and please, Pass it on !
    In respect to the software sources, as you say you do not know ... it will behoove us at this time to take a look at what you have set for acquisition of software, see if we can see the source of the errors. Show us:
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    ls -la /etc/apt/sources.list.d ##a directory that hold other "get" files.
    As others have noted:
    if it ain't broke, you have not tweaked it enough
    To late I think we posted at the same time. I already did the fix. I do thank you for your time and paitence though, very much appreciated.

To all who helped, it is very much appreciated for your help. Thank you.
    KEEP UBUNTUING ON

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12