Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skype - no more (alternative arrives)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Skype - no more (alternative arrives)

Soon we may be finally get rid of Skype thanks to www.tox.im
    1: written in clean C and C++(QT GUI), no other horrible "fat" languages that are slow and no dependency hell.
    2: easy to use
    3: uses dht similar to Skype network.
    4: full encryption
    5: read additional info from their website and Github.

Please spread word.

Development build available
    http://wiki.tox.im/binaries

Relay system is working now(similar to Skype supernodes but works differently)
    Last edited by forcecore; February 10th, 2015 at 03:52 PM. Reason: 10.02.2015, Tiny updates
    tox.im - Future open source Skype alternative.
    n2n VPN - Hamachi alternative for Linux, Win, Mac
    Distroshare - New remastersys alternative

Beans

Re: Skype - no more (alternative arrives)

There is already jitsi, if you can get your contacts to switch or install it parallel to Skype.
    https://jitsi.org/

Problem with replacing Skype is that only Skype can talk to Skype and you need to get your contacts to move as well., With webrtc maturing this will be easier in the future,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Jitsi is same as others that not easy to use, relies on central servers, written in java, cannot penetrate firewall easily... generally SIP is not robust.

There is not need Skype if Tox will be easy to use and lot of people will use then... We need lifeboat to save us from closed source "spyware" called Microsoft Skype.
    And about language C and C++ can be future proof, fast, lightweight.
    tox.im - Future open source Skype alternative.
    n2n VPN - Hamachi alternative for Linux, Win, Mac
    Distroshare - New remastersys alternative

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    you need to get your contacts to move as well.
    This is the main blocker IMO. It's not about which protocol is better (for technical or philosophical reasons), it's about who your get access to. If everyone you want to connect to uses Skype, then Skype's your only option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Skype doesn't like my graphics card, so I have to use Jitsi. If Tox can improve on the interface it would be great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I really hope Tox will be different, I tried a lot of so called Skype alternatives, and out of the few that I managed to install/run, I didn't manage to make calls or even add contacts. In rare cases where I did manage, the sound/video was terrible.

Beans

Sadly the masses use skype so nothing else is close to useful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As a matter of interest: how are the new smart phones affecting this situation with the masses using Skype? I am sure it is very easy (if not easier) to do a video call on these new phones? Also the recipient of the call is more likely to have his phone with him at any time instead of being seated in front of his PC or laptop?

Beans

All my colleagues have smartphones. We use skype when on computer and then normal calls using phones when we're not at a computer. We rolled out VSee for a while, but it had no benefits over skype so. Jitsi has a very poor quiality user interface on computers and the Android version is not ready. Skype is still the best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You know, I came across a few applications that were developed around Skype that served as payment processors for Skype shows. One of these applications is from the Portland, OR area and has received a lot of local flack lately.

I never really realized that there were so many people using Skype as their primary income generator. Granted, it's pretty much relegated to a certain line of work, but if there's money surrounding an application, and a lot of it, it's virtually impossible to move the masses away from it.

While I hope for a Skype replacement, and Tox looks great, I just seriously am doubting we see Skype taking a nosedive anytime soon.
    Last edited by Gnawnsense; August 19th, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast