Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: install linux 8

Beans

Question install linux 8

After rebooting with the burned copy of Linux 8 in the cdrom tray I get a message to 'Select a boot first drive' Ch3 M. :atapi dvd a dh16s6s. How do I get pass this since it just waits. I like to boot the Linux 8 from the cdrom tray. I did go through an install of Lite 7 thinking if I could install it I could upgrade but now I've got troubles and would like to fdisk and start afresh. What's next?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: install linux 8

Hello!

Are you asking about Sabayon?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I don't know what version of Linux you have there, but I don't think it's Ubuntu (or if it is, it's probably 5 years old).
    Can I suggest that you download a copy from here and try again? http://releases.ubuntu.com/13.04/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by menschtx View Post
    After rebooting with the burned copy of Linux 8 in the cdrom tray I get a message to 'Select a boot first drive' Ch3 M. :atapi dvd a dh16s6s. How do I get pass this since it just waits. I like to boot the Linux 8 from the cdrom tray. I did go through an install of Lite 7 thinking if I could install it I could upgrade but now I've got troubles and would like to fdisk and start afresh. What's next?
    Are you talking about Linux Mint 8?
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    This could be the worst idea you've ever had and you hired the Wicked Witch as your nanny. - Regina

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi
    Please let us know where you got the Cd from. Was it from a magazine cover?

Can you boot into Lite 7? Can you boot into anything at all or is that the problem? If you can boot into any Gnu&Linux system then there are things we could do such as get to a command-line and run

sudo fdisk -l

to see
    1. how much hard-drive space you have in total and
    2. find out how many partitions you currently have on your system and get some idea of how large they are.

Ideally we might be able to try to help you get Windows back too. Errr which version of Windows was on this machine before? That might give us a rough idea of what sort of spec your machine is. Cpu speed, Ram size, hard-drive space would be good to know but just giving us the version of Windows usually gives a rough indication.

Regards from
    Tom

Beans

@ OP: Please provide details of your system, and a little more info about which type of linux you're trying to install. 'Linux 8' doesn't appear to be any OS we've ever heard of, and Linux Lite hasn't reached version 7 yet (and won't for a long time to come) either. Did you mean Zorin 7?

Details please or we can't help i'm afraid.

Beans

That's right Sandy and on my 5th try this time using a 12.04 download and burnt to dvd hoping to update later after install and trying the install I'm gett Warning: file:///cdrom/pool/main/g/glib2.0-0_2.22.2-Oubuntu1_i386.db was corrupt. It seems I've gotten this error a couple of times. My last result will be to purchase Ubuntu from the site and try that. I've gone through checking the bios settings, checking burnt dvds for files and all seem correct.

Beans

Tom6 no I can't boot into Lite 7, I got Lite 7 from a website http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07171, and since have downloaded and burnt 8, 9 and 12.04 and getting an error message: file:///cdrom/pool/main/g/glib2.0-0_2.22.2-Oubuntu1_i386.db was corrupt.
    Windows Vista
    Memory - 1gb
    Cpu - ?
    HD - 300+gb

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi
    Ahah, so it's Mint 8 rather than straight Ubuntu!

We should push you to the Mint forums then but i suspect we have a few suggestions here 1st.

1. Do you have a working OS of any sort, even if it's Windows, running on the target machine? (target = one you want to do stuff to). If so then maybe try installing a Virtual Machine such as VirtualBox and see if that can read the Cd.

2. Can you test the Cd itself in some other machine?

This might give us a clue whether it's the Cd that is corrupted somehow or the Cd-drive is not as good as it used to be. They do wear out after a while. personally i started using really expensive CDs but then found they were much worse for this sort of thing than much cheaper ones. It turned out that the cheaper the CD the better it seemed to work as a LiveCd. Perhaps more expensive ones are somehow optimised for storage rather than running?? or maybe i just didn't care as much when i had to bin one.

Also it might be good to try to find how to to check the Cd using "md5sum" or Sha. Once you figure it out it is incredibly simple to test Cds and even the initial downloads to check something weird didn't happen in the middle of the process. Errrr, i have long since forgotten how to do it and it scares me a little tbh.

So, my suggestions would be to try another CD in the same drive, or the same CD a different way. And then try the same CD somewhere else. Then i would probably burn a new CD but using a really really cheap CD rather than a decent one. All to avoid doing the Sha or Md5 checking.
    Apols and regards from
    Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to "Other OS/Distro Support".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast