Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Showing Power Manager Icon in Icon tray on Desktop CPU using 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Showing Power Manager Icon in Icon tray on Desktop CPU using 13.04

All I have been able to locate thus far points to kernel level or low level system operation. Which forum would those people be watching? My post in hardware didn't get any nibbles. The Upower daemon is the application that displays the information and ACAD is a system level application that gathers the information. It would seem that I need to catch and modify the information that ACAD is returning or providing, but the documentation is not there. I've looked at the Upower website and I've found the ACAD directory tree, but it becomes a series of symbolic links that use multiple levels of redirection, often times to non-existant directories. I'm writing this based on memory as I haven't looked at it for a week or so and I don't have it on screen. Anyhow, if you or anyone else knows where to redirect this thread please let me know. This is almost starting to be come a mission and I'd hate to have to end up writing my own application.

Thanks,
    Jon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

OK, a quick search (no tim, not lack of interest). Been looking around LFS docs, as there could be some information there.
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...al/upower.html
    http://upower.freedesktop.org/docs/

If you have not already read these
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans
    Distro

Did look at upower.freedesktop.org and that is where I picked up the ACAD trail. Haven't heard of the other one but it sounds like it would be interesting to look at, if nothing else than to see what all they have there. I've always been interested in OS internals. Like you, I haven't had any free time recently. I'll keep you posted if I find anything interesting.

Thanks,
    Jon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jdallara View Post
    Did look at upower.freedesktop.org and that is where I picked up the ACAD trail. Haven't heard of the other one but it sounds like it would be interesting to look at, if nothing else than to see what all they have there. I've always been interested in OS internals. Like you, I haven't had any free time recently. I'll keep you posted if I find anything interesting.

Thanks,
    Jon.
    OK, I thought about LFS because as it says, you have to do it from scratch. Maybe there will be something in their doc.
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |

Beans
    Distro

LFS may have something. Its more about how to put together a custom system from package sources, however there are some links to docs. One thing that I'm finding is that most of the documentation that I'm coming across is woefully out of date. I was on the 'Linux Documentation Project' site last night and most docs are 10+ years old. The most recent kernel documentation I found there was for 2.6. I know that the documentation is the last thing that gets completed in a software project (ex-programmer, IT engineer, HP-UX admin here), but...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmm, yes, I see.. I have some time for the forums today. When I'm done with what I wanted to do, I'll browse around
    J'aime les fraises.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Although not all on ubuntu, and most of it well over my head, some comments here sound interesting (the BAT1, when most of them talk about BAT0 and timings) : https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=521874
    Somewhere else, there was a mention of acpitool : http://linux.die.net/man/1/acpitool (please read down there also are some issues with this application)

Is the power supply info in the bios ?
    J'aime les fraises.

Beans
    Distro

I downloaded the Linux kernel documentation package last night and it is going to take a little while to sift through it. I have found some info on acpi and another doc on power supply information system calls. I'll take a look at the links that you found, but right now I was looking at /usr/share/doc/linux-doc/power that describes system calls to determine battery status and other information. Most of the files in the directory seem to be geared to laptops and software suspending of the system. However, acpi is mentioned and the power_supply_class is detailed. I'm not sure the information is in the bios but it is at a low system level where in you're talking directly to the hardware, although this information might be cached some where.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

All I can say is best of luck, and learn something in the process. Please share if you find anything interesting
    J'aime les fraises.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for all the help that you have given me. You are a credit to this forum. I will post what I find. Spent a couple of hours today reading through some of the documentation and found a lot of interesting information that has nothing to do with this thread. Currently, I've got to try to find out why Wine has started to give me OpenGL errors on my laptop. Started a few updates ago, not sure exactly when but I think it was after upgrading to 13.04. I need it to run my CAD software when I'm out in the field. It's working fine on my desktop, which is my drafting platform due to its power, which is why I didn't notice the problem until a short while ago when I got ready to do a presentation for a client. May have to regress the laptop back to 12.10. Anyhow, thanks again for your help.

Best wishes,
    Jon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast