Thread: Need Active X components urgently!!

Beans

Exclamation Need Active X components urgently!!

I need to install a software that requires active X components. I don't have windows installation, CD or anything similar at home. I need it desperately since is part of my college tools and they don't have or will have any other version. Is there a way I can survive this without going through the excruciating pain of installing windows? Or... God help me... Internet explorer?
    Oh and I have installed wine 1.6.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Need Active X components urgently!!

Hello!

If you go to WineHQ, there is a database that lists what software has been found to work (or not) with Wine.

I don't think any recent IE works well, but some older versions do. The problem is that the ActiveX components may not match well.

To be perfectly honest, if this is for school you would be much better served by using Windows if that is what your courses require. Use what works. Be pragmatic. Starry-eyed idealism is often not realistic.

You can dual boot or use a virtualization environment to run Windows. Depending on the software, however, a virtual environment may not produce the best results.

Best wishes.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you can't use your schools computer lab, then setting up a virtual machine with windows for your school work is the next best thing.

(I assume it didn't work using wine's internet explorer?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What exactly is your problem? You haven't described it at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am sduverge, but from my original Ubuntu forums account. The problem is that I have a very specific and non-commercial software created by a doctor for his classes. I'll be using it for the next 2 years, and after the installation, when I try to run it comes up the message from the screenshot.
    I've updated wine to 1.6, which according to the winehq page is the latest stable release. Now, the software is important, but let's be honest, I've been worries free for 6 years now, I don't want to have a full windows installation again, least just for one software. Not that I hate it, but I can definitely live without it... until now...

So any kind of help will be greatly welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the chances of getting someone's one-off application to work with Wine are probably virtually nil.

If the class is required for you to get where you want to go, don't let a case of Richard-Stallman-itis trip you up.

Pragmatism is often a greater virtue than idealism. Use a raincoat and install Windows in a VM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If there's no other choice, but what a waste of space to run a single 30mb software.
    Thanks to all for your inputs, It's not a case of pride or this Richard guy... It's a case of a big trauma, ugly virus and a bricked HDD with windows last time I had it. But virtual box will do.
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500