Thread: Ubuntu compatible label printers?

Beans

Question Ubuntu compatible label printers?

Hey Ubuntu community,

I am an avid Ubuntu user and use Ubuntu on my work machine. I have a small eBay business and have finally bitten the bullet and decided to get a real label printer instead of using my laser printer. I have looked around but it looks like there aren't a lot of well-supported label printers. The open printer database lists a bunch of models that "should" work but I'd rather not buy one on a hunch. So yeah, I have googled this question and even searched the forum.

My needs:
    - Print address labels for letters. Don't need big labels or room for postage though if that's an option that's fine as well
    - Ubuntu compatibility. If I have to manually install a driver that's fine, but no hacking together config files for me please
    - A printer that's available new or used is fine as long as they still make the tape for it
    - Continuous label printing (ie not for printing sheets of labels but one at a time). I only plan on printing one at a time.
    - USB or network connectivity
    - Simple and quick way to print labels using OpenOffice/gedit/glabels. I don't want to mess around with formatting too hard though if it's a really great printer I could be convinced to make an openoffice template.

The best option I could find seems to be the Brother P-Touch QL-550. Does anybody have experience with this model or suggestions for others?

Thanks everybody for your help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu compatible label printers?

I do not have any experience with this model or with the label printers. And the Brother site indicates this is a discontinued model, you might think about getting a current one.
    With that stated, the Brother support site does have the drivers and install instructions for this model.http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...sp.html#QL-550
    Which includes drivers and instructions for USB and network installations.
    My experience has always been good with Brother printers and scanners using Ubuntu and I do not hesitate to recommend their products.
    They always seem to have good support for Linux users.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu compatible label printers?

I ended up getting the Brother P-Touch QL-500 from Amazon and it worked great! I have made a post on our blog with a summary of our research and a list of other Ubuntu-compatible printers. See http://calltheninja.com/blog/ubuntul...abel-printers/