Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SSO login general chat thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

SSO login general chat thread

I've moved all the chat and other stuff from the SSO login sticky to here. This thread is for general discussion about SSO login. Please confine any posts to the sticky to suggestions for amendments/additions to the first post there.

If you have inadvertently created a duplicate account, or need an admin to deal with a problem with your account related to SSO login, please post in the Resolution Centre, giving the username of your old account.
    Last edited by coffeecat; August 3rd, 2013 at 11:53 AM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

Okay, I'm not trying to be too critical here, but this seems like a step in the wrong direction security wise. Your forum software got hacked. It happens, and as someone that runs a forum as well, I've had it happen to me before, though on a much smaller scale. The immediate reaction is to try to increase security through any means necessary, and that's the right step; however, tying together our forum logins with our Ubuntu One accounts seems like it has the potential to link together potentially insecure forum software with an account that for many people contains a lot more sensitive information than they would ever have with just a standard forums account.

Ubuntu One, unless I'm mistaken, potentially has credit card info, private cloud storage files, and a record of purchases that people have made as well. I've personally not used it for any of these things, but I'm sure there are quite a few people who have. If I did have that kind of info stored in there, I'd be gravely concerned about it being linked with a forum that was just compromised, no matter what level of new security was just added to it. That's just me though...

Beans

Hmm. Just one extra note here: 'BLFLpb3' is very definitely not a nickname I chose anywhere for my account. I'm not sure if that's some kind of randomly generated name that it gave me to protect my identity, or if it's a bug with your login system. In either case, I apparently can't edit it at all because my account is too new.

The migration process you have setup for people seems very un-intuitive here. Hopefully this doesn't come across at me having too much of an ego here, but I'm pretty certain that if I'm struggling to wade through all this, there's quite a number of other users who are too.

Beans

Actually the move to Ubuntu sso is actually a good move, unlike vbullitin the culprit of the issues that made the foums go down ubuntu one and its sso services are their own thing seperate from most other components.
    Sure its extra steps now but its not that big of a deal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Actually the move to Ubuntu sso is actually a good move, unlike vbullitin the culprit of the issues that made the foums go down ubuntu one and its sso services are their own thing seperate from most other components.
    +1

By switching to using SSO with Ubuntu One the potential for damage is decreased.

If the forums are ever hacked again then there is now no password information stored on the forums server at all, not even in hashed form.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Very good move. SSO is more secure. And the accounts will be linked.

Beans

The problem is that by using it at all here, there's some kind of cross authentication being used between the forums and an Ubuntu One account. I'm sure that they kept security in mind when designing the system that allows the two to talk to each other, but there's always that remote possibility that an insecurity on the forums could result in tokens being grabbed that let attackers backpedal into the Ubuntu One account of a user through something like a cross site scripting attack.

Even if the new system is designed 100% correctly to prevent this though, it still just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling having the two linked together.

Maybe I'm just paranoid though.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by j2bv16 View Post
    Very good move. SSO is more secure. And the accounts will be linked.
    Agreed.

And despite the problems that some users seem to be having, what we have been told to do when logging in for the first time does work. I've reset my Ubuntu One email address back to what it was previously, logged out of the forums and logged back in again and all is well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@BLFLpb3, it's possible that the reason the system chose an apparently random string for your username is that you did not fill in the username field in the Ubuntu One SSO account - only the real name field. I've taken this up with Canonical sysadmins to find a workaround. In the meantime, pm me with 3 alternative choices for your forum username and I can change your account details accordingly.

Please also confirm whether or not this assumption is correct - that your SSO username is a blank field. We need this to be sure we're on the right track.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

hLtbPDh is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

After years of interaction with other members on this forum, we get to know each other by our usernames. Now that we don't have access to them, we have no idea who we are talking to, or who is replying to us. We can't find each other on these forums any more. We may still recognize the moderators, but how will they know us? There were relationships built here on this forum that have now been erased by some arbitrary policy somebody came up with in a state of panic. That policy may have been a good idea, but maybe the implementation process could have been thought through and checked out a little more thoroughly.

Creating an Ubuntu One account with the same email address was no guarantee that the accounts would be associated. Someone should have looked into that more carefully. Also, the usernames didn't come out as expected either. The username hLtbPDh is in no way a variation of Luxx, Luxx1, Luxx2. I'm seeing more of these wierd names on the forums and wonder how many people are feeling as lost as I do in a place that was once a kind "home" where we felt like part of a family. This is really a mess.

Considering the urgency of the fixing the breach, I hope someone is also working on a way to remedy the damage caused by the fix. It is no less severe than the original breach, and may actually be worse.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast