Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 155

Thread: SSO login general chat thread

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Beans
    0

    Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

    My $0.02 about this change.

    Users make mistakes, like signing on from an unknown insecure machine. So no matter how secure the password database is, some percentage of users are going to be hacked. Encouraging users to use credentials to an account that has sensitive personal information in order to perform everyday non-sensitive business is going to magnify the severity of the consequences when they are hacked.

    So my recommendation for most folks that already has a Ubuntu One account would be to *not* use it for forum access. Create a new account that has as little personal information as possible!

    Personally, I came very close to turning my back and walking away from Ubuntu. I'm still wavering a bit. I'm only here to support users of my OSS project. You are on the verge of chasing me away.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    England, United Kingdom
    Beans
    27
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

    Why is my account name different on Ubuntu One, it is registering a different username - I did email Ubuntu One support and this was their response:

    "In the case of ubuntuforums, what you should do is to set your preferred email address on Ubuntu SSO to the same email address you used to register there. If you already signed in with the wrong email address, now you need to contact the forum admins to clear your OpenId association. They explain the use of Ubuntu SSO here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2164051 There you will find some other people with your same problem, and there you can ask the forum admins to help you."

    The Ubuntu One account should only display "CitadelUniversal" and not someone elses - I even don't know why the other account has my email address on it please explain this problem......

  3. #53
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    albuquerque
    Beans
    561
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

    I didn't realize I had a Ubuntu One account. I think it was from back when I was using ShipIt or something.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,671

    Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

    Quote Originally Posted by 7R6Kh6w View Post
    ...as the heat about this login issue progress...am coming to a conclusion tht this whole thing is a 'BIG'...hoax...just to give way for the process of merging ubuntuone and whatever else they are merging....come on peiople, we were not born yesterday. being an ubuntu user since 2007, this is unbelievable!
    I'm quite comfortable saying there is no conspiracy here

    I've used Ubuntu's SSO (single sign on) for quite some time and it was NOT breached during this hacking episode. I've also not yet synced with Ubuntu One, not because I don't trust it but I just don't need it.

    I've used SSO with the QA Tracker and Launchpad for quite some time w/o a problem so I think this is a wise move.

    I truly believe that a great deal of the problems people are encountering are related to simply not being patient when presented with SSO's warning about waiting for 15 minutes when they initially edit their profile

    I wish I'd taken a screenshot when I did mine, but it clearly said to wait at least 15 minutes when it first failed. I was busy anyway so I waited about 2 hours, then there it was

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,671

    Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

    Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I didn't realize I had a Ubuntu One account. I think it was from back when I was using ShipIt or something.
    I've never used Ubuntu One but I was prompted to create an SSO (single sign on) acct to manage my QA Tracker and Launchpad accts a long time ago.

    I sort of wonder if many of these ongoing problems couldn't be resolved by changing the wording about creating or editing a SSO acct/password.

    Maybe link the full meal deal:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SingleSignOn

    Sometimes abbreviations can be confusing or lead to incorrect assumptions

    Maybe warn that it will take at least 15 minutes for the updated info to sync? Darn I wish I'd taken a screenshot of that

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    albuquerque
    Beans
    561
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

    I'm actually quite shocked that I managed to get through it and get to my original forum account with everything intact, and not as "malspa2" or anything weird like that. I was trying to follow the instructions but I didn't feel like I knew what I was doing. Clear as mud, seemed to me. Oh, well, glad to be back.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,671

    Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

    Quote Originally Posted by stebbins2 View Post
    My $0.02 about this change.

    Users make mistakes, like signing on from an unknown insecure machine. So no matter how secure the password database is, some percentage of users are going to be hacked. Encouraging users to use credentials to an account that has sensitive personal information in order to perform everyday non-sensitive business is going to magnify the severity of the consequences when they are hacked.

    So my recommendation for most folks that already has a Ubuntu One account would be to *not* use it for forum access. Create a new account that has as little personal information as possible!

    Personally, I came very close to turning my back and walking away from Ubuntu. I'm still wavering a bit. I'm only here to support users of my OSS project. You are on the verge of chasing me away.
    I understand your concern, but I've sometimes had to use public computers in hotels or libraries to access my bank account

    How scary is that compared to this?

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Beans
    0

    Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I understand your concern, but I've sometimes had to use public computers in hotels or libraries to access my bank account

    How scary is that compared to this?
    Both are risky behavior not to be engaged in lightly. The difference is that I'll bet you gave it some thought and weighed the risks as compared to your immediate needs when you accessed your bank account from a public computer. I'm hoping you don't make a habit of this and only do so in dire need. In the case of forum access, you should not have to make such judgement calls that have such serious consequences. The forum should be more easily accessible with very little risk to yourself if a breach occurs. The worst that should happen is someone uses your forum credentials to impersonate you on the forum. But if you used an Ubutnu One account that is linked to a credit card and other personal data, they could do much worse.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,671

    Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

    Quote Originally Posted by stebbins2 View Post
    Both are risky behavior not to be engaged in lightly. The difference is that I'll bet you gave it some thought and weighed the risks as compared to your immediate needs when you accessed your bank account from a public computer. I'm hoping you don't make a habit of this and only do so in dire need. In the case of forum access, you should not have to make such judgement calls that have such serious consequences. The forum should be more easily accessible with very little risk to yourself if a breach occurs. The worst that should happen is someone uses your forum credentials to impersonate you on the forum. But if you used an Ubutnu One account that is linked to a credit card and other personal data, they could do much worse.
    Of course I'm always as cautious as possible. Are you aware of anyones SSO account being hacked?

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California, U.S.A.
    Beans
    105
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

    It's strange that a number of users have random-character user names. Other than the forum appearance having changed since the last time logged in, my username and avatar appear as before, as well as my posting history. I just followed the instructions and logged in via Ubuntu One SSO and it appears to have worked as designed.
    IBM ThinkCentre 3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 µP, 1.5GB RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA drive.
    I support Idea #23505.
    "A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows." — St. Francis of Assisi

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •