Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: SSO login general chat thread

Beans

Re: Login now by means of Ubuntu One SSO only

I managed to regain access to my old forum account.

But I want to point out some problems with this process:

- My forum account is associated with email1.
    - I have an Ubuntu One account associated with email2.
    - I also have a Launchpad account associated with email1 (same email as the forum account).

I followed the instructions and logged into my Ubuntu One account (email2). I tried to add email1 to that account, but got an error message saying that the email1 is already associated with an account. I discovered that email1 is associated by default with a Ubuntu One account that I never created.

I logged with that Ubuntu One account (email1) and at first step I was asked what info I want to be passed to Ubuntu Forums (or something like that). There were 3 items with check boxes:
    - the name given as real name
    - "user name" (with check box marked and greyed out)
    - e-mail address (email1 in this case)

The problem is that "user name" was the name from email1 (characters before "@" from email1), not the user name from this forum (Seb71). So it would appear that after completing the login process I would have another forum user name. Fortunately it was not the case, otherwise you would have yet another topic in the "Resolution Centre".

I would preferred to keep the old way to login and just get a password reset at first login after the forums breach. Then, if really necessary, transition to SSO login at a later date, after warning forum users about the implications.

Beans

...hi, don't know where to post my request...my former sign-in name is byStanderone and it's gone..lol. tried to open new mail acct with tht name yet it won;t appear in the forums....is there any chance tht i may secure my former name? i don't mind the bean count, should it be lost. thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 7R6Kh6w View Post
    ...hi, don't know where to post my request...my former sign-in name is byStanderone and it's gone..lol. tried to open new mail acct with tht name yet it won;t appear in the forums....is there any chance tht i may secure my former name? i don't mind the bean count, should it be lost. thanks.
    Make a new thread here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yay,

I'm back.

One thing I did wrong. I had an UbuntuOne account but my email was not the same as the email
    I used to sign up on the forums. I mistakenly logged into UbuntuOne then added the email address
    associated with my forum ID. Even after setting this email as primary, the accounts still did not sync.

I logged out of forums, changed UbuntuOne primary email back, and deleted the email that was tied
    to my forum ID.

Then I created a new UbuntuOne account using my email address that was tied to my forum ID.

All is good!
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    The only person who can get you your old password is the hacker
    That might be worth a shot too.

, as Canonical IS overwrote all passwords and randomised them.
    Maybe they did a backup first. I would.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by Seb71 View Post
    just get a password reset at first login after the forums breach.
    That isn't completely adequate by itself because if the hacker has managed to get the password from the MD5 hash then the first login after the breach could be the hacker. So at the very least it would have to be a mandatory password change i.e. no login until changed and it would have to involve confirmation via the email address.

Even that would be broken if someone is silly enough to use the same password as is used to access the mailbox associated with the email address associated with login. Noone would be that silly, would they?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Newbunto View Post
    So at the very least it would have to be a mandatory password change i.e. no login until changed and it would have to involve confirmation via the email address.
    That is what I had in mind: a mandatory password change, with confirmation by e-mail (so when you first try to login, you would automatically get a one-time password via e-mail and only be able to login with that one-time password; after that, change the password as you wish).

If e-mail is also compromised, the SSO would not solve anything.
    Last edited by Seb71; July 31st, 2013 at 12:44 PM.

Beans

...as the heat about this login issue progress...am coming to a conclusion tht this whole thing is a 'BIG'...hoax...just to give way for the process of merging ubuntuone and whatever else they are merging....come on peiople, we were not born yesterday. being an ubuntu user since 2007, this is unbelievable!

Beans

Mine didn't link.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mohan-ram View Post
    Mine didn't link.
    Please post here with your original username
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast