I managed to regain access to my old forum account.
But I want to point out some problems with this process:
- My forum account is associated with email1.
- I have an Ubuntu One account associated with email2.
- I also have a Launchpad account associated with email1 (same email as the forum account).
I followed the instructions and logged into my Ubuntu One account (email2). I tried to add email1 to that account, but got an error message saying that the email1 is already associated with an account. I discovered that email1 is associated by default with a Ubuntu One account that I never created.
I logged with that Ubuntu One account (email1) and at first step I was asked what info I want to be passed to Ubuntu Forums (or something like that). There were 3 items with check boxes:
- the name given as real name
- "user name" (with check box marked and greyed out)
- e-mail address (email1 in this case)
The problem is that "user name" was the name from email1 (characters before "@" from email1), not the user name from this forum (Seb71). So it would appear that after completing the login process I would have another forum user name. Fortunately it was not the case, otherwise you would have yet another topic in the "Resolution Centre".
I would preferred to keep the old way to login and just get a password reset at first login after the forums breach. Then, if really necessary, transition to SSO login at a later date, after warning forum users about the implications.