Thread: cant remove brasero and other apps without removing gnome and gnome-core ?! help!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation cant remove brasero and other apps without removing gnome and gnome-core ?! help!!

whether i remove them via synasptic or terminal a bunch of applications are linked to gnome and gnome core that i want to remove, but... cant without removing gnome ? please help
    ubuntu 12.04
    Last edited by kronictokr; August 3rd, 2013 at 02:35 AM.

Beans

Re: gnome and gnome-core

gnome & gnome-core are just metapackages, so when removed nothing is really removed.
    You can put them to use when not installed to check if you're missing any actual package of importance by marking for install & seeing what else is to be installed.

I use ubuntu & most times never have ubuntu-desktop installed without issue, occasionally I'll mark for install in synaptic to see if anything new or important isn't installed that is a dep of ubuntu-desktop.

If upgrading from one *ubuntu release to another then you'd want these type metapackages installed or re-installed before upgrading

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: cant remove brasero and other apps without removing gnome and gnome-core ?! help!

very cool tx, yeah for some reason when i uninstalled them yesterday, my os crapped out, today.. no ill effect as of yet and no gnome or gnome-core