Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other System76 Bonobo Extreme 7 (bonx7) users around?

Beans

Any other System76 Bonobo Extreme 7 (bonx7) users around?

I believe I have one of the first System76 Bonobo Extreme 7 laptops. I had ordered a bonx6, but System76 upgraded me to a bonx7, which was darn nice of them. It has the new Haswell processor, and it's very very fast. It has a few problems however, which I have been unable to resolve via phone or website support. I am hoping I can compare notes about the issues I'm seeing, to learn if I have some defective hardware, or if there are just a few software issues with this very new box. Anyone else got one of these things and wanna talk?

The main unresolved problem I have is that the headphone jack does not work at all. I've tried several sets of known-good headphones, and they are never detected and the audio always come out through the internal speakers.
    Last edited by Ken_Young; August 2nd, 2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Typos

Beans

Re: Any other System76 Bonobo Extreme 7 (bonx7) users around?

Hi, I don't have a Bonobo (I'm still waiting on my Galago, in fact), but I think manually changing your audio output should fix it. Open the dash, type "sound", open the sound application, and select your headphones instead of the built-in speakers. Hopefully that works!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think this is due to the firmware on your machine. Certain users elected to receive their systems with the pre-release firmware in order to get their systems faster. I think your system has the pre-release firmware.

We will have a BIOS update available by Wednesday. If you haven't yet opened a support ticket, go ahead and open one, and we'll send you instructions once the update is available.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I have one on order. As soon as I get it, I'll check out the audio.

Beans

I have the bonx6 for about 3 months now; and love every bit of it. Just wish I had opted for more than 8GB of ram heh.

Beans

I now have my bonx7. despite the system hangs, I love the machine. Does anyone know what's different between bonx6 and bonx7? The site has a "getting started" for bonx6 but not bonx7, and the system76 wiki never mentions bonx7 as near as I can tell. Is there any bonx7 specific documentation anywhere? I'm exploring and learning, but it would be nice to have something to start me off. I have not yet had a chance to check out the headphone audio. Have you resolved your problem yet Ken_Young? Are there any other bonx7 owners lurking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The differences are mostly internal. The BonX7 uses Haswell processors and GTX 700 series GPUs, rather than Ivy Bridge and GTX 600s.

Externally, the only difference is that the DisplayPort is now a Thunderbolt port, and it's moved to the side (instead of the back).
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I'm about to buy one. Is everybody happy with theirs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I received my bonx7 yesterday, and I am quite happy with it.

I had an ASUS G75VW, which I handed down to my wife (she's a gamer like me). The bonx7 is based on the Clevo P370SM (also, Sager uses that model as their NP9380).

Compared to my ASUS G75VW, the bomx7's fan is constantly on, regardless of how little I am doing (goes for Windows7 and Ubuntu 13.10 which I upgraded to right away). Any idea as to how to "fix" that?
    Another thing that bothers me is the fact that the DC power cable from the (even larger than ASUS's) power brick is really short. When lounging in my chair, it barely reaches up from the floor.

The keyboard is decently lit, the additional colors are fun to play with. The chicklet style keyboard on the G75 felt more solid, and the bonx7's keys are just too closely grouped together (with some questionable choices regarding the placement of the HOME and END keys. However, there's a real (not just a sticker) Ubuntu Super Key. Kudos to System76.
    The performance is pretty awesome and step up from the G75. The clickpad is great, and works really well. In order to right-click, you move to the lower right corner - it works well in Ubuntu.

What I don't like so much is the fact that some of the Fn keys are hardware coded, which means they work, however, they don't get an indicator message and don't affect the software, e.g. pressing Fn+F1 to disable the clickpad, it does it on a hardware level, but Ubuntu is not notified, nor does it toggle the touchpad on/off in the Ubuntu System Settings. Same goes for the keyboard backlight brightness, In Windows, mind you, there's a driver for that.

I opted for the ColorPRO clossy screen and it's stunning. The colors pop and everything is super crisp. Reminds of my older Dell XPS and MacBook Pro.

Oh, and here's a huge plus for all of those who struggled with the lack of a working LCD screen brightness on laptops with NVIDIA cards: The bonx7's Fn +F8 and Fn+F9 keys do work like a charm, and for the first time in years I was able to adjust my screen brightness in Ubuntu.

Overall, I am very happy with the bomx7, I just wish there were more info on the wiki, the system76 driver doesn't really give out any feedback info on whether it's installed or not. I believe mine just stopped working - but how would I know?

Oh, and what about BIOS updates, etc? I feel a little left alone compared to what's available from other manufactures, such as ASUS or DELL to keep stuff up-to-date.
    ...and how can I fix the 24/7 fan noise? Again, the ASUS was super quiet and only got louder when playing 3D heavy games -- not browsing the web.
    Last edited by rrohde; October 17th, 2013 at 06:44 AM.

Beans

I too have the (bonx7) Bonobo Extreme and have neither problem. The whole system is quiet and headphones worked out of the box. I have a fingerprint scanner that doesn't work but not a show stopper. Great product in my opinion!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast