Thread: another CPU prevented use of a memory address

Beans

another CPU prevented use of a memory address

My 2nd "stupid" question is:

I have Ubuntu automatic software daily updates turned on. An error reports that another CPU prevented use of a memory address. The screen was black and required a reboot. This is on a standalone non-networked machine connected by hardwiring to the internet via an ADSL connection running Ubuntu 13.04 with no special programs/processes and just one user - myself. Is this normal?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: another CPU prevented use of a memory address

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by 1888software View Post
    My 2nd "stupid" question is:
    There's no such thing as a silly question; only silly answers.

I have Ubuntu automatic software daily updates turned on. An error reports that another CPU prevented use of a memory address. The screen was black and required a reboot. This is on a standalone non-networked machine connected by hardwiring to the internet via an ADSL connection running Ubuntu 13.04 with no special programs/processes and just one user - myself. Is this normal?
    This is not normal, no.

The exact error message would help and it's not an error message that i, for one, have come across.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

AFAIK there should be NO other CPU taking control of memory on my machine. Please confirm:

To be specific, does any Ubuntu support process on my machine claim any of my CPU memory while executing? For example, when the automatic daily Ubuntu update runs on my machine, does that process take any of my CPU memory?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by 1888software View Post
    AFAIK there should be NO other CPU taking control of memory on my machine. Please confirm:

To be specific, does any Ubuntu support process on my machine claim any of my CPU memory while executing? For example, when the automatic daily Ubuntu update runs on my machine, does that process take any of my CPU memory?
    When it's talking about a CPU, it'll be talking about a CPU core and not a physically seperate die on a chip in another computer (this will be the case in your average home computer/ laptop anyway).

How many cores does you computer have ?

If your not sure, open a terminal and copy and paste this into it and it'll tell you.

Code:
    grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo
    From my netbook

Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew % grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew %
    Dual core.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

ok, thanks very much, the machine is a dual core. We'll call this a cpu memory allocation anomaly resulting in a freeze requiring a reboot. Thank you for your help.