Thread: Problem Loading DVD Movie Program

Beans

Post Problem Loading DVD Movie Program

While trying to install software through Terminal that would allow me to play commercial DVD movies on Ubuntu 13.04, I encountered a problem that froze my system. I found the command: sudo apt-get jnstall ubuntu-restricted-extras on the Liberian Geek website. Canonical made the code available. When I executed the command the program downloaded most of the codes. However when it reached a certain point it showed: Configuring ttf-mscorefonts-installer with the MS EULA text and an <OK> symbol that is inactive and froze. When I close the Terminal and then reopen it to enter any code, it will not allow me to enter my password but advises that I must enter the code 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' that brings up the ELUA text again in the Terminal window. I need help to allow the program to continue or terminate the process. Any help will be greatly appreciate since I am a total novice with Ubuntu /Linux code.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problem Loading DVD Movie Program

I don't load anything but VLC. It plays everything - music, video, you name it. No more mucking around with all that restricted nonsense.

Just in case you need further assistance you can check out the Comprehensive Multimedia section.
    Last edited by VMC; August 2nd, 2013 at 03:02 AM.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

VLC is a great program, but it's not very useful without audio or video codecs.

The terminal didn't "freeze" when configuring ttf-mscorefonts-installer. It needed you to agree to the EULA for the MS fonts before downloading and installing them from Microsoft's website. (Of course, you could opt out of these fonts by not agreeing to the EULA and everything else in Restricted Extras would install just fine, but it was waiting for some response from you.)

Go ahead and follow the advice given:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    and then accept or refuse the MS font EULA when prompted. That should finish installing all the codecs you need, including libdvdcss2, which is used to play DVDs.

You will need to run one more command to equip your system to read commercial video DVDs:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    After that, you should be able to watch DVDs to your heart's content, using VLC, or whatever video player you choose.
    Last edited by newb85; August 2nd, 2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Advice is spelled with a "c"...
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Hidden!

I think you can get the restricted extras package from the Ubuntu software repository (no terminal commands needed).

Once the restricted extras are installed, open terminal and enter the following...

Code:
    That worked for me anyways.

Update:
    awww... newb85 beat me to it

Also which ubuntu flavor are you using? There are different packages for different 'buntus...

If you are using regular, stock Ubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    If you are using Kubuntu:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
    If you are using Xubuntu:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras
    If you are using Lubuntu:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; August 2nd, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When you get the EULA thing, hit Tab and then the spacebar.

To play DVDs you also need VLC.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Problem Loading DVD Movie Program

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    VLC is a great program, but it's not very useful without audio or video codecs.

The terminal didn't "freeze" when configuring ttf-mscorefonts-installer. It needed you to agree to the EULA for the MS fonts before downloading and installing them from Microsoft's website. (Of course, you could opt out of these fonts by not agreeing to the EULA and everything else in Restricted Extras would install just fine, but it was waiting for some response from you.)

Go ahead and follow the advice given:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    and then accept or refuse the MS font EULA when prompted. That should finish installing all the codecs you need, including libdvdcss2, which is used to play DVDs.

You will need to run one more command to equip your system to read commercial video DVDs:
    Code:
    After that, you should be able to watch DVDs to your heart's content, using VLC, or whatever video player you choose.
    My problem is that there is no place for me to accept the EULA as I have done with many software packages. Usually you see two boxes, one for accept and one for decline. Totally puzzled by this problem. I have installed VLC already so I still need the AV Codecs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    When you get the EULA thing, hit Tab and then the spacebar.

To play DVDs you also need VLC.
    Your reply of hitting Tab and then Spacebar worked, enabling me to accept the EULA and finish the download. After executing the other commands I was able to watch a movie using VLC which I had previously downloaded. Many thanks !!!